Next: Do the Slough!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next: Do the Slough!

Incredibly and suddenly, we're down to a week-and-a-half before the annual Sammamish Slough Run...so it's time to get serious if you're planning to either "Do the Slough" or join others in boating on Lake Washington and meeting Slough Runners as they emerge from the Sammamish Slough at Kenmore.

Here are basic details, from our Calendar of Events:

Saturday, March 13 – The Slough Run & Lake Washington Rendezvous, featuring two events in one. Slough Runners will take off from Lake Sammamish State Park by 10 a.m., running the length of Lake Sammamish, down the 11-mile Sammamish Slough and then the length of Lake Washington to a finish at Coulon Park. Other members who do not wish to do the Slough will launch at Coulon Park or other Lake Washington ramps and rendezvous just up the Sammamish Slough from Kenmore, to greet Slough Runners as they come down the river…and then accompany them to the south end of Lake Washington. (Paid Members only for the Slough Run itself, for insurance reasons.) Coordinator: Marty Loken

So, who might be up for either boating on Lake Washington on the 13th, or running down the Slough?

(For those who do the entire run--Lake Sammamish, the Slough and Lake Washington--volunteers will shuttle you from Coulon Park back to your tow rigs at Lake Sammamish State Park, at the end of the event. You can then retrieve your boats back at Coulon Park's launch ramp.)

I'm hoping to slap together a trashy little 12-footer for the event, but if that effort fails to come together in time, I'll do Lake Washington with others, running the '56 Reinell pictured below.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

I plan on launching at Coulon. Going to do a test run this weekend to see of the old girl is up to it. See you on the 13th. (I hope)
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Your yearly slough report

This will be one of the lower water level Sammamish Slough runs in recent history. All the balmy spring like weather has left Lake Sammamish a foot lower than usual at this time of year. There should be plenty of water, just not running at full flood like the last couple of years. So bring tools, an extra prop, shear pins, etc, and maybe slow down just a little for the sand bars and rocky bits.
      Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
      Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Marty, Will launch at Coulon Park with the Farallon (or G-3 if weather permits ) and just go up the Sammamish Slough from Kenmore to meet up with everyone then back to Coulon Park. Best,Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

have video camera will travel

We'll be there to run the slough, come hell or low water...if for some reason the Stiletto isn't quite ready-we have a backup Larson-freebie-throwaway with Homelite power ready to run the gauntlet. Looking forward to seeing the balance of the Armada @ Kenmore.

Thanks for your comments Marty and Gordon, see you there rain or shine.

Comment

I'll be launching at Coulon Park too for the run up north. What time should we get started to meet the slough runners at Kenmore? Last year we waited about 1/2 hour for them. Lowell
            1956 Enduracraft Monterey
            1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
            1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Coulon to Kenmore...

Lowell -

Do you recall what time you left Coulon last year, heading north to Kenmore? Seems like the Slough Runners left Lake Sammamish State Park at about 10 or 10:15 a.m., as I recall.
              You could just launch at Coulon a bit later than you did last time....if you or others can recall details from last year.

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Slough run

I would like to come and hitch a ride with someone with a cuddy cabin so I can compare the ride between it and my backbreaker.

Comment

Shoot for the whole run!!

Cheryl and I will be attempting the whole run. Greg, sorry to hear you ran out of time on the stilletto. Was looking forward to seeing the boat and runnin with ya. Steve, when ya goin out for your test run? Stevens? We might join ya as I could use another shake down cruise on my little boat. If it's a nasty day out on Lake Washington, and the Texas Maid is still up and runnin, Cheryl might need a big cushy boat to haul her to Coulon from Kenmore. Seems like I remember a breakfast before launch at a restaurant near Sammamish park. We plan on being there for some eats about 8 or so. Hope to see some folks participating.
                  Attached Files
                  Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Greg Lamb....

Greg -

As you've probably noticed, we often get only a meager response when asking for event commitments, especially during the off-season when a lot of members wait to see what the weather's doing before raising their hands....so it isn't safe to assume you'd be running the Slough alone, or almost by yourself.

Jack's report of low lake levels is more of a concern to those of us running conventional outboards...but your jet would do just fine.

Anyhow, everybody understands that we can only put X number of hours (we don't have) into getting a boat ready for any particular event--I can relate right now, since I have zero free time to get a Slough Runner put together--but if there's a way you can make it, you won't be alone.

- Marty

Comment

Gordon, meeting up at the lake sounds good. This will be my first time on the water with this motor. So some backup would be welcome if you can make it out.

Your in Lake Stevens, so let's launch at Stevens at the West side ramp. Does 11:00 work for you? I still have a few things to put back together, but I should be done by then. Did a test run on the motor this morning, it runs in the driveway.

Here's my cell number 425-495-6400 in case your plans change.
                      Steve Kiesel
                      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Marty, I was out on Lake Wshington yesterday to make sure evryting was up to snuff with my boat after a tune up and low and behold I had problems getting into reverse and forward so after a lot of adjusting and crursin I finally got everthing working right so most likely I will be at this event for the 6th time.I always have a great time at this event. This year it might be advisable to designate a route like maybe from Kenmore to the east highrises of both the 520 and I-90 bridges to the east side of Mercer Island under the east channel bridge and down to Coulin. It might be wise also to have a VHF and a cell phone. The bridges do interfere with VHF transmissions so a call on a cell phone might be neccessry. It would be wise not to expect us support boats to see you in case of a break down. I will be on ch. # 69 on the VHF and my cell # is 206 790 1725.
                        Gordon, Cheryle will be more then welcome to ride down to Coulin with me.
                        Greg James

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel, post: 9468
                          Gordon, meeting up at the lake sounds good. This will be my first time on the water with this motor. So some backup would be welcome if you can make it out.

Your in Lake Stevens, so let's launch at Stevens at the West side ramp. Does 11:00 work for you? I still have a few things to put back together, but I should be done by then. Did a test run on the motor this morning, it runs in the driveway.

Here's my cell number 425-495-6400 in case your plans change.
                          Hey Steve,

"First time on the water with this motor"? Did you swap out the Bearcat or are you talking about a different boat?

Tim

Comment

I'm planning on making the Lake Washington part of the trip, will launch at Coulon and run up and back. What time are we meeting at Coulon?

Just have to get the new prop on and take a test run first.

Tim

Comment

Coulon

Tim (and others) -

I'm assuming a 10 a.m. launch at Coulon, to coincide with the 10 a.m. launch at Lake Sammamish State Park for the Slough Runners.

Greg - Good points about following a particular route, monitoring Ch 69, carrying cell phones, etc. (Two years ago I ran the Slough, then broke down in the middle of Lake Washington near Magnusson Park...while everyone else was running down the east side of of the lake and missing me. Was just lucky that Gordon and Cheryl happened to exit the Slough and follow my same trajectory--so they graciously towed me all the way back to Coulon. (Would be better if we all followed the same route, so that anybody who breaks down can be found and rescued.)

More and more, as the days and hours tick off, I'm less certain I'll have time to put together a Slough Runner...so right now it's likely I'll launch at Coulon and join the rest of you on Lake Washington.

- Marty

Comment

Working...
                              X