Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

But, Ma, you see, it followed me home...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But, Ma, you see, it followed me home...

After owning an untold number of boats over the past 50 years, I seem to have come full-circle. As a life-long ragbagger, stick 'n string sailor, blowboat driver, etc., I have suddenly acquired a couple of quasi-derelict Glasspar products: A 1965 Citation and a 1959 Seafair Sedan.

I had a "fling" with a new Avalon during the summer of '63 that left a lasting impression. And, until this past Friday afternoon; I had never even touched--less,been aboard or underway--a Seafair. However, the sales brochure from about the same time hung on my bed room wall when I was about 14. Normally, I don't do things on the spur of the moment. That just takes too long. I guess this "impulse" took a bit longer: about a half-century to mature.

I do have a sad admission to make. About 6-8 years ago I got an abandoned Avalon from a guy who "was gonna" take his kids water skiing. Someday. Anyway, after getting into the guts of the matter, I discovered that about all that I would have left would be the shape. It really was bondo patching the bottom. The transom had never really been stuck together, and now not quite up to graham cracker material standards. And all that. So, I finally did the unmentionable. (I suppose there's a 12-step program for this.) I paid somebody to cut her up and sold the trailer. No, I couldn't bring myself to do that dastardly act. (Much like a vegetarian wearing leather shoes?) Yep. An ugly admission, and I hope to not repeat that dark deed.

Anyhow, I got a replacement plex windshield from a guy who had Avalon parts stacked in his pick up bed. I had plans to get the Citation back into some sort of original configuration. You see, this boat, while not exactly running, does have a new name. She's "Summer of '63, of course. Then, I saw the Seafair on C/L the same night. This is really like having two dates for the prom.

Basically, I think the analgy goes more like this. Remember the cheerleader you were always afraid to ask out? Sure, just about all of us had one of those relationships-from-afar. Well, imagine meeting up 50 years later. She's still "got it." You have a whirwind romance. You're thinking those happy ever after thoughts. And, you discover (she already knew) that she has cancer. The operation will be almost as bad as the disease. But, wat 'r ya' gonna' do?

The adventure continues.

Dan

Welcome to the forum Dan. Great story.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

The adventur continues

Well, day three with the Seafair has the cockpit and cabin sole removed. Splashwell on the shop floor. Transom graham cracker ripped and torn and chissled out. Replacement plywood transom pieces cut and shaped and bonded in. Tonight or tomorrow (probably both) will see new stringers shaped and bonded. The 1 x 6 solid lumber stringers under the sole were poorly tabbed and quite rotted, so I'm thinking to double (or more) the thicknesses of everything. And, in case I haven't gotten a handle on bilge water accummulations, I'm going to go back into operation with a screwed and sealed sole that can come back up in worst case scenario.

I'm sure this is anathma as well, but my "plan" is to get the boat running and floating with a rub out and wax vs a full make over. My history with boats is that I normally change everything, messing with accommodation, weight and moment, and all that, so I guess it makes sense to see how she behaves in the water before doing a complete refit. This normally raises the hackles of the purists. And, understandably so. This particular boat has all the parts, all the castings, all the emblems, even extra window glass to make non-cracked ones from. Too bad somebody let her sit with fresh water in her bilges and no proper ventillation system/pump manifold.

Can anybody tell me what the "normal" max transom thickness the modern 4 stroke outboards tolerate (in the 80-100 hp range)? I'm thinking that a quarter inch aluminum plate across the scarred and perforated glass section under the motor well would improve the compressive strength of the new plywood core. But, that would give it a 2" (or a bit more) total thickness.

Thoughts, anybody?

Thanks,

Dan

Comment

Glad you made it home with her, and the trailer...
        I had 2 other calls for her after you left...
        When shes floating, bring her back down here to Porcupine bay..

Comment

Working...
        X