Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avatars, Profile Pictures, and Your Profile Setings

Collapse
X
Collapse

The new for software is vBulletin. vBulletin is a complex program. It can do a lot of things, but it is not the same as Xenforo, our last software.

I should point out that I am a vBulletin Developer. I did not push for the change to vBulletin, although I think in the long term it was a good move. I've been working on it for almost five years, and there still are occasionally places where I scratch my head and say "I didn't know you could make it do THAT." One of the issues it that there are thousands (l'm not exaggerating) of ways to tweak it and make it different from other vBulletin installations. So we're still figuring out the best way to set the knobs and switches for us.

So some questions I would like to answer:
    • What is an avatar, and how do I set it?
    • What is a profile picture, and how do I set it?

Note that these instructions only work if you are logged in and are at least a member.

On many posts you will see something like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	avatars.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	62341Click image for larger version

Name:	upload_profile_pict.jpg
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	62346

Those are avatars. If you click on my avatar, you'll be taken to my profile page: On the upper left you'll see this:

Name:	profile_pict.jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	62342

That upper left image is my profile picture. To upload one of them, I go to my profile settings. If you are using the default style, it's here:

Name:	default_profile_link.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	62343
    I happen to like the elegance red fluid style. (In another article I'll show how to change that). For the elegance styles the link is here:

Name:	profile_settings_red.jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	62344

If you click that link, you are taken to your profile page. The left part looks something like this:

Name:	profsettings_left.jpg
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	62345

You should be familiar with this, but today the interesting links are "Edit Profile Picture" and "Edit Avavar". Those work the same. Click either and you will come to a page like this:

Name:	upload_profile_pict.jpg
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	62346
    Not much to say. If you want to use a picture you found on the internet somewhere, please don't unless you have some reason to believe the owner of the image doesn't mind. Otherwise you're stealing. Most of the time you'll want to upload a picture on your local file. The file can be larger than the 100x100 pixels, but the uploader will scale it down.
      Posting comments is disabled.

Categories

Collapse

article_tags

Collapse

There are no tags yet.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• 1959 Skagit 20 inboard
      Kelly
      Here you go...
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]14417[/ATTACH]
      09-26-2016, 03:58 AM
    • Now Accepting Contributions
      <p>We understand that the members of this club, and the visitors, mostly aren't rich.</p> Rich people mostly buy fancy yachts. We love the small classic boats that a working guy can afford.</p>
      11-18-2014, 03:25 PM
    • Club Gear
      There is gear available with the club logo and/or classic boat pictures. It's available through Zazzle here. Let us know if you'd something different or a different image.
      11-13-2014, 07:00 PM
    • Uploading Images
      Understand that not everyone can upload images. But if you are a supporting member, uploading images is not-too-bad (If you know the secret handshake) or diffficult . I'm here to tell you the secret.

There are attachments which show as a link. If you want to attach say a manual for users to download. Then there are embedded images, which show in the middle of the text. Like the images here. Note that every embedded image is also an attachment.
      Let's first discuss embedding.
      11-04-2014, 04:38 PM
    • Setting Your Editor
      This only applies to logged-in-users. You will find the site easier to use if you set the proper editor. There are actually three different editors you can use. They are set in your profile. T

I would suggest you read content.php/4-Avatars-and-Profile-Pictures. At the same time, set your editor

First, click on your profile settings. Depending on which style you have chosen the link may look like this:

11-04-2014, 03:47 PM
      The new for software is vBulletin. vBulletin is a complex program. It can do a lot of things, but it is not the same as Xenforo, our last software.

I should point out that I am a vBulletin Developer. I did not push for the change to vBulletin, although I think in the long term it was a good move. I've been working on it for almost five years, and there still are occasionally places where I scratch my head and say "I didn't know you could make it do THAT." One of the issues it that there are thousands (l'm not exaggerating) of ways to tweak it and make it different from other vBulletin installations. So we're still figuring out the best way to set the knobs and switches for us.

So some questions I would like to answer:
      • What is an avatar, and how do I set it?
      • What is a profile picture, and how do I set it?

Note that these instructions only work if you are logged in and are at least a member.

11-02-2014, 08:08 AM
    Working...
    X