Bell Boy 404 Express Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we don't need no stinkin' windshield! j/k
    I know you'll do it up right before you get out on the water.

Comment

• Still on target for Saturday. The weather looks kind of grey for Saturday morning, but the afternoon is supposed to clear up. Should be perfect!

Last night I got the sonar/GPS shelf mounted and wired up the sonar. The head unit itself needs to be secured and the transducer needs to be mounted, but the wiring is all in place.

I also got the Dodger out of the garage and started up. Runs like champ! It needs a new battery though, so I'll be getting that tonight.

For tonight:
      Mount hardware on hatch.
      Mount hatch.
      Mount head to deck.
      Re-attach bow light.
      Re-attach bow cleat.

Friday I'm taking off early from work. If it all works out, I'll be wiring up the accessory USB plug for the tablet and applying the name decal to the hull.
      Then it will be cleaning time.

Everyone at home is excited to get out on the boat. Should be a great launch!
      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
      Past Affairs:
      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

• Take and post lots of pictures. The first launch should be exciting for all. Have fun.
        Steve Kiesel
        1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

• As noted on the main forum, the launch didn't go. Weather was too wet. This has given me the time needed to properly install the hatch and take care of other odds and ends. I'm also tackling the stereo this week. The head unit is in a temporary location near the sonar. Rear speakers will go in near the stern. I'll snap some shots tonight if I get the panels in.

Next try is this Saturday! Come on sun!
          John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

• Just put a recording of "Walking in the Rain" or "Rhythm in the Rain" on the new stereo and go for it.
            Steve Kiesel

Comment

• Haven't posted to this thread in a bit. Been spending my time in the launch thread.

Launch was a success. Nice weather, no real problems with the boat. She is back on the hard for the last week and getting some finishing work done for the season. Downrigger mounts, cabin bracing, anchor light and other misc things. Should be buttoned back up and cleaned tonight. If all goes well, I'll put her in the water tomorrow evening ahead of the 3rd of July fireworks in Poulsbo. Should be a busy weekend in town with the 4th landing on a Friday.

I'll snap some pics of the interior once I get her back in the boat house. This gives me a bit more frame to capture details than when I'm on board.
              John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBronze, post: 28667, member: 339
                Haven't posted to this thread in a bit. Been spending my time in the launch thread.

Launch was a success. Nice weather, no real problems with the boat. She is back on the hard for the last week and getting some finishing work done for the season. Downrigger mounts, cabin bracing, anchor light and other misc things. Should be buttoned back up and cleaned tonight. If all goes well, I'll put her in the water tomorrow evening ahead of the 3rd of July fireworks in Poulsbo. Should be a busy weekend in town with the 4th landing on a Friday.

I'll snap some pics of the interior once I get her back in the boat house. This gives me a bit more frame to capture details than when I'm on board.
                Hi John:

Great work on the 404! I can't wait to see the pictures when it is in the water. How did you do the "BellBoy" graphic on the bottom of the rear seat? I would love to see some of the interior shots. The addition of every possible accessory on this boat is very addicting! I have a stereo, electric heat, power receptacles, working sink with water reservoir, illegal head (original though I need to pull it out and install a holding tank - SOMEWHERE!...

On July 26th, I will enter the Bellboy at the Classic Boat Show in Skaneateles, NY righ on Skaneateles Lake, one of our beautiful upstate NY Finger lakes. It will be surrounded by woodies but, who knows? Maybe it will do well in the judging phase! Here are some pics of the boat as of this month...

Best,

Bob
                Attached Files

Comment

• Bob,

Thanks! I really like the way the headliner in your boat is arranged. Was that factory? or something you did on your own? Great look. And good luck in the show!

The logo is a sticker. I ordered these up from a fellow on eBay. Dave Shebasteri I think. Look for vintage boat logos. He is easy to work with and prices are great. I had him print up several emblems for me. They are dry/wet transfer. After applying a few coats of varnish on the wood, I applied the sticker, let it set overnight, and then applied a few more coats of varnish.

I still need to shoot some interior shots in good light. Perhaps later today I'll get a chance when I get down to the boat house.
                  John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBronze, post: 28687, member: 339
                    Bob,

Thanks! I really like the way the headliner in your boat is arranged. Was that factory? or something you did on your own? Great look. And good luck in the show!

The logo is a sticker. I ordered these up from a fellow on eBay. Dave Shebasteri I think. Look for vintage boat logos. He is easy to work with and prices are great. I had him print up several emblems for me. They are dry/wet transfer. After applying a few coats of varnish on the wood, I applied the sticker, let it set overnight, and then applied a few more coats of varnish.

I still need to shoot some interior shots in good light. Perhaps later today I'll get a chance when I get down to the boat house.
                    John the headliner was done by me. The original was fabric. Marty Loken restored a number of classic glass interiors using this kind of wood headliner and I liked the look a lot.

Best,

Bob

Comment

• Well, the project has pretty much stalled out. Why? Because I'm out using that Pretty Girl! This shot was on Sunday near Keyport. Nice lazy day floating and playing in the water.
                      Attached Files
                      John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

• Pretty Girl looks just great in the water. I hope you will soon be posting TONS of pictures of her, inside and outside...
                        Here is a youtube link to my BellBoy's participation in the 2014 Skaneateles Boat Show, held July 25-26.
                        The boat drew a great deal of attention. Noone had ever heard of Bellboy out here in upstate NY!
                        Bob
                        [media=youtube]2FaY24Bn8ZM[/media]

Comment

• Excellent video Bob. Thanks for posting. Best of all, thanks for cruise at the end.
                          Steve Kiesel

Comment

• Bob, you seemed like you were having a great day out there!

I love the video.

The people lined up on the shore is amazing. Must be a big deal there when they have this event.

Your boat rides just like mine does from the sound and look of things: Bumpy and wet! I'll have to capture some video this weekend and get it up here. Going fishing on Saturday so I'll have a chance.
                            John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

• Bob, Great Video ! !
                              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

• Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X