A skeg for my dinghy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A skeg for my dinghy?

As I posted before, I was given a sorry little fiberglass dinghy and hope to make it safe to use. Today I cut a piece of 1X4 to make a skeg about 3 feet long that tapers back from nothing to 3 1/2 inches. Planning to fiberglass it on when it gets a bit warmer. My thought is the dinghy will tow better behind Rosario. Also make it track better when Becky rows me ashore and back to the boat. :boater1: Am I wasting my time? I know I attended Tim Jones class on towing but I don't recall that we got into things like skegs on dinghies. What do you think Tim? Others?
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Skegs on dinghys ?

Sort of depends on the shape of the hull, Jerry. Generally don't think it would have much effect while rowing as there probably isn't enough surface area or velocity.

Towing the dink behind a fast power boat might help it track better, but there are a lot of variables such as hull shape, weight distribution, height of the painter connection (eye bolt), use of a bridle, where it is towed behind the big boat, length of tow line, etc.

I've towed my rigid inflatable up to 20 knots or so and use a bridle to help it track better. Occasionally it gets out of control and I have to slow down. Years ago I had a 12 foot inflatable (soft bottom) that went airborne in gusty winds.

When I have an outboard on the back, I sometimes leave the motor partially down to create a little drag at the stern end.....helping it track straighter.

Hope this helps......

Tim
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Thanks Tim. I did recall from your class how to make a tow bridle and have done that. The bow eye is quite low which I would think would be a good thing. Probably won't tow with anything in the dink unless I find a good way to secure the rowing sticks and would like to be able to haul at 20 mph. Here are a couple of pics to show the hull shape. Guess I'll put the skeg on and see how it tows. Wouldn't think it would hurt.
      Attached Files

Comment

Dinghy Hull Shape

Thanks for the pics Jerry. Sort of your classic pram shape, except pointed on one end. I think your skeg idea will work well and help this design track better in all situations. Nice looking dink! Have you had it in the water yet?
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Jerry ,
          My buddy Steve Hanson uses old Sail Battons as a form for making weird shapes and cosmetic features on the yachts.
          Bet you could tape them on and pour some foam or thickened epoxy with Glass strands to form whatever you desire.Even cardboard.
          Or drag a line off the dinghy transom with a small float to act as a skeg.Reaching out behind the hull it should work better than even a large rudder as it could be up to 10 feet long.
          Seems every Monday am on C-list (in summer),there is one owner looking for a dinghy lost during a transit from the Islands or down south.
          TM
          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

Yah, Tim M., People pull dinghies up on the beach on Lummi Island and don't even secure them and leave them all winter (until a high tide with a bit of wave action). Away they go and I don't think many come home.

Comment

Tim J. The dinghy hasn't been in the water since I got it due to a foot long break below the water line. First warmer day, out comes the fiberglass.
              Attached Files

Comment

Sun came out, skeg went on

Nice sunny afternoon so I patched the hole in the dinghy and cut a wood skeg and started glassing it on. Ran out of resin before I got any roving on it. Ah, but there could be a tomorrow (or the next, or the next....)
                Attached Files

Comment

I will bet your Fiberglass kicked just like normal didn't it.

I have used the Resins in cold temps, just takes a tad longer for them to kick is all.
                  I have even cut stuff apart to make Real sure it was as strong as it should be. NO Problems.

Looks good Jerry, now splash on some paint (That will be better in warm weather for sure) and you have a nice little dingy.

Make it too nice and you will have to lock it up all the time.
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks Joe. It did kick just fine and I put a coat of white Brightside on it just now and it shines! It is only 46 here but put it in attached garage and added a space heater and expect the paid will be dry in time to launch this summer! Of course, that's just coat one on the hull. I plan to match the paint scheme on Rosario so bottom gets burgundy and the gray transom with the gray extending forward below the gunwales like the '57 Skagits.

Comment

Working...
                    X