The Next Personal Project...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next Personal Project...

Years ago, I started a slow-but-steady campaign to convince my buddy Tom Richards that he needed to someday sell me--or trade to me--what he considered to be the crown jewel of his large boat collection...a super rare 1939 Lyman 21-foot Deluxe Runabout.

If you're familiar with Lymans, you know that virtually all "classic" Lymans were built in the late 1950s through the late 1960s. There's a large and enthusiastic Lyman cult, mostly centered back East where the lapstrake inboard and outboard boats were built, but very few Lymans exist from the 1930s or earlier.

In any case, my long-running campaign of water torture finally paid off recently, when Tom called and allowed that maybe, just maybe, we could work out some kind of deal for the '39 Lyman, since he'd concluded--facing a formidable list of other projects--that he might never get around to restoration of the big, old Lyman sedan.

As usual, I was boat rich but dollar poor and couldn't begin to entertain buying the Lyman, so after some discussion Tom agreed to give me two boats--the '39 Lyman and a 1932 Chris-Craft Model 300 (15-1/2-foot inboard project boat, which he'd purchased from me several years ago), in trade for our '58 Skagit inboard runabout.

I hated to see the Skagit go since it was clean and functional, but being hopeless addicted to unique projects I was thrilled to end up with a boat as rare and original as the Lyman 21-footer. As far as Tom knows, there is only one other Lyman 21-foot Deluxe runabout from the late 1930s in all of North America, and it's owned by a guy Back East. None of the early Lyman 21's have ever been spotted in the West, and it's extremely unlikely that another one exists as intact as the one I horse-traded for with Tom.

So, even though I've generally been shedding projects and I'm down a net of about a dozen boats compared to a few years ago, I was happy to adopt the genteel old Lyman, and take back the cute little 1932 Chris-Craft runabout.

I won't have time to throw myself headlong into the Lyman project for awhile (customers come first, as always), but I'll peck away at it and hope to have the boat in the water by the summer or 2012. Fortunately, it's mostly a big refinish project, with not that many structural issues to deal with. The only mechanical challenge will be engine-related, since the boat currently has a Chrysler 318 marine engine with V-drive...a strange arrangement for this particular hull, which orginally had a straight-shaft Gray Marine six-cylinder flathead (125 hp, 33 mph according to Lyman literature). So I'll probably put a vintage flathead six back in the boat...either a Gray Marine or maybe a Chrysler Crown. (Anybody know of a good-running old flathead?)

The disease continues to run amok, unabated and only occasionally treated.

Below, to the left, is a 1939 Lyman factory photo of the 21-foot Deluxe Runabout. Other photos show Tom's Lyman on Spanaway Lake about 10 years ago, and today under one of my larger canopies.

Let the games begin...

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

OMG ! Marty you did it again.So that's why that canopy was empty when i was over a week or so ago. What did you say to me on the phone not to long ago ? Anyway it looks like it will be a great project kind of like a " itchy " project for you ? Best, Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Congratulations!

Glad it worked out, she's a real beauty. :GoodJob:

Comment

Congrats on the new challenge!! Although I am rather disappointed that I never got the chance to run our Chris along side your Skagit.
        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

congrats

Marty
          A very classic classic indeed. Congratulations. At some point once I take possession of the 1939 Thompson runabout 14 and it becomes respectable, I will have to use it as tender to ferry you out to your Lyman where ever it might be anchored.
          Bruce H. Drake
          1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
          1957 Norseman 19' woodie
          1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
          1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

What a great find Marty! Love the classic sedans, especially for the weather here in the Northwest. I have a Greymarine flathead 6 and transmission. It needs a complete rebuild, but is complete.

What about the Chris. What condition is it in and what are the plans for it? Got any pictures of that treasure?
            BRIAN FRANCHINI
            LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

1932 Chris-Craft Model 300

Brian -

Several years ago, I purchased the 1932 Chris-Craft Model 300 runabout from John Folk of Yelm, whose late father owned the boat for many years. The model is a double-cockpit 15-1/2-footer that came from the factory with a four-cylinder Gray Marine engine (as I recall).

I sold the boat to Tom Richards about 6 years ago, when we were in the process of moving from Whidbey to Marrowstone and I needed to reduce the number of project boats.

John Folk's father had rebuilt the bottom of the little runabout, and was about to start work on side and deck planks when he died. The boat had been stored in a dry garage for many years, and it looks semi-awful right now, but actually is less of an intimidating project that some people might think.

Having traded for the boat, along with the 1939 Lyman 21-footer, I'll probably offer the 1932 Chris-Craft for sale. I have a vintage, running four-cylinder Gray Marine 60hp that could go with the Chris-Craft as an extra.

If you or others are potentially interested in restoring a classic and amazingly rare little Chris-Craft runabout, please let me know and we can discuss values, etc. I'm willing to let it go, probably for less than what it might be worth if I advertised the project boat to members of the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club (which I may do if I don't sell it to a member of NWCBC).

Below are a few shots of the project boat, as-is, along with a link to a photo of the 1932 Model 300s as they appeared in an old Chris-Craft brochure.

Shoot me an e-mail if you'd like to talk about the boat...

Thanks,

- Marty

http://www.chris-craft.org/archive/v...1301360954.PDF
              Attached Files
              http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Working...
              X