Another One Out the Door...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another One Out the Door...

Yesterday we launched the 1938, 24-foot Viking Sloop we've been restoring for the Olson family--parents Tim and Lorelie, and their son Karl and his wife, Michelle.

The senior Olsons owned this boat for about 20 years, back in the 1970's and '80's, but then sold it to someone who utterly neglected the poor thing. I got it for free on CL a few years ago, did some research and discovered that Tim and Lorelie had been among earlier owners. I got in touch and--long story short--they wanted to buy the derelict and have us do a full restoration. Now it's what you might call a family heirloom that'll be passed down to coming generations...which is a nice thing.

We replaced a lot of steambent oak frames, a number of planks, all of the mahogany rails, and totally redesigned and rebuilt the interior. The boat got a new cockpit area with better seating and storage, a new cabin bulkhead, fresh wiring and a new/old Volvo MB-10 two-cylinder, 10-hp gas engine to replace the frozen-up Isuzu diesel that had been in the boat when I sailed it home.

Although the sailboat Freyja isn't typical fare for NWCBC, here are a few shots from yesterday's launch festivities. Many thanks to Tim and Karl Olson for being great customers and friends, and to those who worked on the boat, including Will Kersten, Amos Howe and Roger Beachy.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Beautiful boat.

Congratulations on another beautiful boat. Out the door is so much nicer when it is a restoration rather than a freebie needing lots of work. There must be room now for a dozen new projects in your shop. I see 12 of them already.
    Bruce H. Drake
    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

She's gorgeous, congratulations! What a thrill it must be for the family to have her back and so beautifully restored. Great story.

Comment

Now that there is a boat ya sure ya betcha !:HandHorn1:

Beautiful work Marty and crew.
        Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
        Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Very Nice!

Beautiful work on a very interesting looking boat! Congrats! -Ken

Comment

Another one out the door

Looks great! I'm sure the owner is pleased and impressed!

Looking at her hanging in the slings....thinking, hope they have those slings tied together!

First cabin!
            Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
            X