Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 Ft Bell Boy Restoration

Hi guys.
    Been busy working on a Bell Boy so that is the reason I have been kind of quite.
    I will post some pictures on this project from time to time.
    Right now, working on the transom bulkhead and splashwell and will work my way forward.

Once I get more room to work, I am going to start on the Dorsett Catalina that I got from Chuck Carey as well. Found out retirement is for the birds.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Helmar,

Looking forward to pics. I think we are all busy tinkering away and getting our girls ready for the summer.
    I wasn't aware that there was another 21 out there? once you get her going, we should have a Bell Boy meet!
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by TheBronze View Post
      Helmar,

Looking forward to pics. I think we are all busy tinkering away and getting our girls ready for the summer.
      I wasn't aware that there was another 21 out there? once you get her going, we should have a Bell Boy meet!
      Seems as I have misplaced some of the pictures... This is Ed Brown's 21ft Bell Boy.
      I will find them and post.
      Ed might have a few too.

More soon.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Oh, interesting. Did you go down to CA and haul her up then? Details!
        John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Originally posted by TheBronze View Post
          Oh, interesting. Did you go down to CA and haul her up then? Details!
          No, Ed hauled her up to me in Eugene.
          Ed bought that boat from Marty after he seen what we did for Bruce Drake's Bell Boy. Ed found that I was the builder on that boat and he drove up to Port Townsend and hauled her down to California.

I think Marty would be ok if I posted a few pictures of what we did on Bruce's boat. They have been posted here before.
          Eds boat will be a Working Show boat.
          Attached Files
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I had the opportunity to go aboard that boat when it was at Marty's shop. Nicely done. We had the chance to drag the 21 you are working on home, but I don't have space for something that big. Ended up with the 404 instead.
            John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Still poking away at Eds boat little by little.
              I need to process all the photos and start posting.
              Just now working my way forward from the splashwell. Building boarding steps/seating for the rear of the boat.
              Attached Files
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Here are a few more of the process. That transom is Never coming off that boat.
                Attached Files
                Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Helmar, first: Thanks so much for your help with my password issue. Second: your preliminary work on the 21 BB looks great. Thanks for posting the pics,

Bob

Comment

Window Molds

Hi Folks.
                    I have been working on several projects so been quiet on the forum.

First I want to thank the folks that have sent in dues to help keep us going, thanks guys. Also, Thanks Steve....do you even have a boat now? I know you sold your Seafair Sedan.

Ed Browns Bell Boy project has been quite challenging to say the least. Creating the windows for this has been a real issue up till now.
                    With Bruce Drakes, I at least had the aluminum frames to bend too and well, after going though 4 sheets of Plexiglass, we got them.
                    With Eds boat, no frames to follow and too big to do the bent wire method.

Getting windows for our boats has always been a challenge. The fellow up in Seattle? that has done the Skagit windows has saved us for sure, But retiring as I hear.
                    I think the club needs those molds or they need to be sold to a glass shop that can use them for our boats.
                    The Helm windows were Glass and thanks to all the hard work, research, Bruce Bridwell with others, have found that Skagit used 56 Ford Sedan windows, cut and narrowed to two pieces for replacing the Helm glass !!

What I have to do now is create the molds for Ed Browns boat as I have nothing to bend too.
                    For this process, I am using the boat to make the patterns from. I was able to use the two pieces of Lexan that Ed made for the front (we decided not to use them due to this boat will be in the Ocean and if she took one over the bow, might not hold) cabin windows and was able to bolt those in.
                    I then shopped around and found some 26ga galvanized sheet metal that I was able to bend the radius with, cut and bolted those in the helm.
                    The next step is to protect the boat from all the fiberglass process that is about to happen. So, lots of 3 mil plus plastic as well as everything will be coated with the Fiberglass Mold Release product they call PVA.
                    I also have a Fluke infrared meter that I can set what they call Emissivity value for the clear 1/4" plexiglass so I know when to pull the plex from the oven I had created up at Island Boat Shop. Marty purchased two 30amp 220 volt heat blankets that I was able to put into a box to create the oven. We found that you could not lay the blanket on the plexiglass as it would leave pock marks all over it. So, the oven was created. I will add a picture of that later on down the process.

To make these molds, I am going to have to build them strong enough that they will be Dead On. Once the plexiglass is heated and fit to the Inside of these molds, they should fit like a glove and relax in position. Without the aluminum frames, these will be mounted in rubber from Wefco who supplies the clubs rubber molding products.

The plan is to use Fiberglass Mat, then Roving, then Mat, Roving, mat, roving and end up with the last layer being mat. I am thinking almost 1/4" build up.

So, here are some pictures of where she is now in this process.
                    Attached Files
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Glad you know a process. The boat is looking good...

Comment

I did a bunch of work on that. I'm not in Helmar's class, but I rebuilt the internals so it's strong. Far stronger than when it was new. And floatation so it's safe.

But the windows defeated me. I don't think anyone who hasn't been through this struggle can appreciate just how beautiful it is to see curved windows on that.

Comment

Ok, been long enough that I think I should post some pictures. of the progress.
                          Also took some time from Sanding, Grinding to build the anchor hold on Eds boat. With the end plate and me having to bump into it and almost fall in at times, I decided to do that as well.
                          The issues with the boat is she was Molded up for the 'h I " pattern of the aluminum molding, which we don't have not. It did not come with it for this restoration. So, the hard part is having to bring down and build up the framework on this to hold 1/4" rubber moldings and 1/4" Plex.
                          We need that as this will be out in the Big water and its a matter of time before Ed takes one over the bow and when that happens, the Cabin windows and Helm windows have to hold the weight, like they would with the aluminum 'h I' framework. Lots of fiberglass Grinding so the fiberglass dust is Everywhere !!!. No vent system in the shop so three fans going, one across me, one pushing it towards the bay door and one out.
                          I can work for about 15 minutes at a time and have to clean the filters and face shield to continue to see, but, its getting done and It Will be Safe.
                          Here are just a few pictures of the grinding, some wood, most of it fiberglass prep work.
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Comment

progress is great, no matter how small it is. I'm finding that out. Nice work, I'm sure he'll be pleased with the results.

Comment

Working...
                              X