No announcement yet.

Uh oh. 1958 Skagit 20 Hardtop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I washed the boat too and waxed a few sections of it. I'm not entirely ready to dive into the whole boat with the detail work but I couldn't resist some small areas. I also removed the toilet and gagged and nearly puked a few times. Pictures will indicate why...
    20160906_140042.jpg 20160906_140052.jpg

Some detail work, not much but it's a start:
    20160906_190845.jpg 20160906_205123.jpg 20160901_140030.jpg 20160908_173640.jpg

Also I couldn't figure out what these metal brackets were until I found the old cup holders/beer bottle holders buried in the cabin, two of them...kinda cool!
    20160907_161114.jpg
    Last edited by Kelly; 09-08-2016, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb View Post
      The blue boat has a more normal transom width in my just completed viewing of numerous 1957-58 20 footers. However, the notch downs are not factory, meaning done by marinas/previous owners. The hardtop boat transom is different, don't know if I've seen one that narrow, but had to come from the factory like that. As a general set-up, these were powered by the twin longshaft versions of OMC motors which were 22 inches.
      Just going back over this...I like this kind of stuff and since I don't have an ID plate it's like solving a mystery..

My guess is this hull is a late '57 build but a '58 model. If you look at all of the factory photos from '57, the transom width was narrower on those models, much like my hardtop. The gelcoat finish was in a different pattern on the bottom half of the boats in '57, but it is feasible the factory used remaining '57 top halfs and retrofitted them with the aluminum windows for the new look of '58. This would have saved resources and used up remaining inventory as the year was coming to a close.

Just my theory.

Comment

Yesterday I completely rewired the trailer. I now have nice bright LEDs for the rear and I might end up adding a few more marker/running lights in the future, but for now it's legal.

Comment

So sometimes I do things the hard way, but in the end it tends to work out somehow. I bought another galvanized trailer that was the same size as the one I already have, but it was a bunk trailer. Well, the trailer had a blemish that I didn't like, so I swapped the rollers and bunks around and now have the boat sitting on bunks on my $100 galvanized trailer. Crazy.
          I also swapped the winch tower. Now both of my Skagit boats have trailers that nearly look identical, though one is a surge brake 6 lug trailer and the other is a 5 lug no brake trailer.
          The good part now is I will no longer have roller marks all over the hull...that just drives me nuts.
          Pics...
          (the duck pic is actually my helper, she follows me from my dock to the boat ramp all of the time, I know I'm crazy right)
          Attached Files

Comment

I miss the home made trailers some of our boats had, 200' 1 1/2 galvanized water pipe bunks and rollers, tilt system that didn't work, a drop axle with spindles welded clearly out of line, plastic pipe vertical in the back to help align boat and tail lights with one stop wired into the markers. Your boat and trailer look good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
              So sometimes I do things the hard way, but in the end it tends to work out somehow. I bought another galvanized trailer that was the same size as the one I already have, but it was a bunk trailer. Well, the trailer had a blemish that I didn't like, so I swapped the rollers and bunks around and now have the boat sitting on bunks on my $100 galvanized trailer. Crazy.
              I also swapped the winch tower. Now both of my Skagit boats have trailers that nearly look identical, though one is a surge brake 6 lug trailer and the other is a 5 lug no brake trailer.
              The good part now is I will no longer have roller marks all over the hull...that just drives me nuts.
              Pics...
              (the duck pic is actually my helper, she follows me from my dock to the boat ramp all of the time, I know I'm crazy right)
              Looks good. I don't care for the marks on my hull either but to many other things going on around here.
              Like your little buddy too ;-)
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

PAPERWORK! I finally received the signed paperwork I need to get the title in my name! I know, most people probably wouldn't purchase a boat w/o a title, but I took a leap of faith and it has paid off. This was one of the reasons I haven't really done anything major to the boat yet. Now though, well let's just say I hope to be cruising the lake (at a minimum) by late winter.

Lot's to do. Once I have the actual title in my mitts, the major work will begin to bring back the 1958 Skagit glory this boat once had!

Comment

Oh and thanks Helmar and John for the postings and compliments.

Comment

BOOM! Title arrived today! I can almost feel the wind in my hair while cruising the waterways in the hardtop...of course though, I need hair and would then have to stick my head out from behind the big windshields etc...

I can dream though!

Comment

Been working on getting things ready for a semi restoration...resto-preservation!
                      I called the highly recommended glass shop up north, found out they want nearly $3000 (yes 3 zeroes) for plexiglass!
                      Apparently legal Marijuana means something to them.
                      More to follow on the search for window help as I have feelers out to some other more local places.
                      I also removed the hardtop and one window...the rest of the upper window frame is next.
                      1052016182429.jpg

Comment

Kelly- Cool effect you used on the pic ! Looks as if you've been busy cleaning the exterior, much more than pressure washing !
                        Very neat. Helmar and Marty were experimenting with shaping plexi at one time. Check with Brian on Skip in Ballard as a plexi fitting/bending source. The side windows are within your skills, easy to buy. Lexan may be more expensive to buy but with the right tools, ok to cut. Flexes easily to fit, both on the upper windshield and cabin fronts. Only prob might be the uppers- deflecting at freeway cruising speeds ?

Comment

Thanks Bruce. Pictures hide a lot
                          I spoke with Keltech plasitcs in Tacoma as they specialize in...plastics! They recommended acrylic over lexan for durability however cautioned that both will scratch easier than glass. Maybe I can make a "bra" for the windows when towing the boat? hmm...
                          I did ask for a quote for both materials and will make a decision based on that.

Here's the frame and today's small cleaning progress:
                          20161108_144419.jpg

Still more work to do. Structurally the frame seems strong, there are several cracks in the gelcoat and a couple of holes to fill. The real prep is the window sills so I can get a good fit on the windows.

Comment

This picture reminded me of Chuck Carey. I know he would be posting for me to just put a custom windshield on this one
                            20161106_154015.jpg

Comment

On page 6 of Martys posts is his expirence with glass. You can make plastic ones yourself since you have a pattern in old windows to bend around. I heated with a couple Mr heaters.

Comment

John I'll make a trip up to your place, bring some beverages and we can get right to work!

Comment

Working...
                                X