Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barry:

A question:

Since I was able to salvage John's 404 sedan floor and cabin bulkhead, I never had to rip everything out as you are doing. When the bulkhead was exposed after the floor was removed, did the bulkhead sit atop the stringers or was it notched for them and slip all the way down to the hull bottom? How are you planning to replace the bulkhead? In two pieces, left and right? Did you decide on the new cabin configuration? I am thinking of building a helm and companion consul for the outer cockpit of my BellBoy. I will attach a picture of Chuck's Farallon cockpit here. I would follow this idea and then split the cabin door down the middle as he did to open the halves against the consul sides. This would give me more room to flush mount the GPS and radio, plus give me some bulkhead depth to mount a marine radio and speakers.
    Always more to do but so much fun!!

Best,

Bob[ATTACH]227.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]228.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]229.vB[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files

Comment

62 BB 404 Sedan

Bob
      The bulkhead was fitted right down to the hull. I haven't made the final decision on the door yet but am leaning towards possibly splitting it horizontally and still using the "pocket door" concept. That would allow me to open only the top half for circulation while keeping the little people contained when my attention is on piloting the boat. I'm just at the point of having to make that decision and figuring out door opening size and placement. I will do the bulkhead in two pieces to keep it simple to install.

Oh yeah, Chuck. How long is the extension cord to run that Microwave?
      Barry

Comment

Thanks for the info. Always good to have as much of that as possible when embarking on a rip out!! I found more pics of the two 404's. Thought you might enjoy...

Bob
        Attached Files

Comment

62 bb

Bob
          Love the pictures. Can you email me the second one (115_1574) so I can print it out and hang it on the wall by my desk to remind myself how great it's going to be once the work is done? LOL Thanks Barry
          barryobates@yahoo.com

Comment

62 bb 404

I finally got to do compression tests on both of my Bearcats. Only one cylinder on one of the motors was down a little. By the time I did the other three cylinders and checked the first one again it had already come up over 20lbs so I think once I run it it will be ok. Think I lucked out on these. I'm not taking any chances with the water pumps. I got two new impellers from BillR so those will go in before I try and start them.
            I'm hoping to start putting the bulkhead back next week. Still trying to decide how to do the door so I think I'll just cut a smaller access hole for now. Sometimes I just don't know what I want to do until it's finished. LOL
            Barry

Comment

Hey Barry:

How are things going on the sedan? Are you going to use both Bearcats on the boat? I have seen an old BellBoy 404 when I was a kid powered by two Johnson 35's. Sounded fantastic.
              Always interested to hear what progress is being made!

Best,

Bob

Comment

Bob
                Wish I had some progress to report but other things have required my attention lately. I was just thinking about the BB last night. Really need to get back on it. My plan is to eventually use the two Bearcats but I may start with one. Putting the two on really changes the balance on the single axle trailer. I can pick up the tongue and wheel it around the shop. LOL I have another trailer under the other 404 that I am thinking of upgrading and possibly adding a second axle to just for this Sedan. I think trailer brakes would be a good thing also. I'm about to do a rush transom replacement on my 14C powercat so I can put a long shaft Bearcat on it and get it in the water. Planning to price out marine plywood in the next day or so. I want to go with a 2" transom on the on the Power Cat as I am raising it about 5" in the center to 20" while hoping to maintain about 18" over the twin hulls so I can use two 35 Johnsons when the mood strikes. Barry

Comment

Hey Barry:

Yes, the BB balanced on a single axle trailer is a joy to manuever around the driveway UNLIKE the tandem design shown here. The tires really scrub when you try to turn it by hand. BBJohn's 404 sedan is on a single and it is a dream. Can you adjust your axle back and forth to accommodate the extra engine? Anyway, just got the new Sony head unit for marine hi-fi and will have to come up with a place to mount it. Not too many areas to choose from that have 7" of depth behind them.

Best,
                  Bob
                  Attached Files

Comment

62 404

Bob
                    Manuevering around the shop or yard is easy with the single axle but I think I will still maybe go tandem. The boat sits high on the single axle and a tandem with smaller diameter wheels will drop it down some. Also on the hwy a flat tire is not so exciting an experience. I've had lots of towing experience so that is no problem. Last trailer I pulled over the Golden Gate and though the center of San Francisco was a 45 ft gooseneck behind a long crew cab one ton. Quite a chuckle. Barry

Comment

If sitting low on the trailer is your objective, I would avoid the Holsclaw design as my BB is perched way up on top of the frame. John's BB is slung quite low -maybe 8" or so lower than mine. Here is a shot of his on a custom designed rig that came from Lon who we met through FGNW days.

Best,
                      Bob
                      Attached Files

Comment

404 trailer

Bob
                        John's trailer is more like I have in mind only with a tandem set up closer to the stern of the boat to account for two motors. This also makes the wheel base longer and improves the handling and for me makes it easier to back up. Also I'm thinking that ground clearance is not as important if there is less trailer hanging out behind the rear axle. The only thing I have to be careful of is not dragging the skegs on the ground. LOL I am guessing John has to transport with his motor up?
                        I think I'll look into the cost of having some channel bent for my main frame rails and just build my own trailer. Channel works better than tubing for making sure all the salt water is cleaned off after use. Barry

Comment

I am in the single wheel catagory. I moved my axel back one foot from when i bought it also i have a sway bar setup someone welded on. I to like the security of tandem wheels in case of flats but i put new skins on and will keep a close eye out. Anyway just some needless input on my part.[ATTACH]664.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]665.vB[/ATTACH]
                          Attached Files
                          John & Diane Kelly

Comment

John, How much does the BB weight. With the Farallon 21' i think with all of the wood that increased the weight. The 1959 brochure say's 2000 lbs. I thought i had better go with the tandem trailer. She weights 3220 lbs boat & motor only and with trailer total of 4240 lbs. Bruce Bidwell made that nice Burguee for me. What a guy ! I have a extra 2000 lbs that the Ford can pull , so i'am ok there.But i don't plan going over any mountains ! Best, Chuck
                            Attached Files
                            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Hey Chuck i guess i better go and get her weighed. I was hoping i was still in the 2000lbs range but Jeff Ault thinks i have that much weight in paint!

I towed it this morning for the new top and it towed like a dream, of course no fuel or supplies. I am hoping it will work with the single axel at least for a season or two and then i can upgrade to something more current.
                              John & Diane Kelly

Comment

404 weight

John
                                Bell Boy's brochure weight on both the Express and Sedan was 1370lbs. Barry

Comment

Working...
                                X