Personal Restoration Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Restoration Project

I've been poking at this little boat on a part-time basis, and will definitely have it ready by summertime. The funny thing is, I don't know exactly what it is. The boat was built in 1957 and the previous owner's grandfather bought the boat when it was almost new. The family legend suggests that the little 13-foot, single-cockpit tailfin runabout was designed by hydro designer Ted Jones and it was built as a prototype. (If that's true, I don't think the design ever went into production, since this is the first time I've seen a boat quite like this.)

So, here are some photos of the little beast. Because it's very small and light, I think I'll use a 1957 Mercury Mark 30 for power. Pay no attention to the color on the sides--I had some leftover red paint and used it for a first coat, but I'm not yet sure what the final color will be. At this point I've sanded the mahogany-ply deck down to bare wood and applied a coat of red-mahogany stain. Next will come varnish, then more paint on the sides and bottom, along with replacement of two broken bottom frames. The boat's bench seat will need to be rebuilt and reupholstered, and deck hardware will be rechromed...and then it'll be off to the launch ramp!

Does anyone recognize this boat, or design??

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Marty, Cool Boat. I can see you out on the high sea's ! Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
    X