Great video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great video

In introduction to new members of one of our member's boats, think you'll like it ! It's a first edit of the footage, may change in future. Enjoy, oh, Helmar, love the hat, huh ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_oa51i0a-Y

Originally posted by bruceb View Post
    In introduction to new members of one of our member's boats, think you'll like it ! It's a first edit of the footage, may change in future. Enjoy, oh, Helmar, love the hat, huh ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_oa51i0a-Y
    I have never seen that !....
    I was saying all along when Tim was getting close to Launch time and that was CNN needed to be there due to all the special history behind these boats and espessely Tims, One of three ever built and he found two of them and one brought back to life built better than when she came out of the factory !!!.

Wow......One just can't say enough about Tim and the dedication, money, sweat and tears that went into bringing her back.
    I had gone up to Friday Harbor and the engines were not in her yet. She had over a Inch of lay up on the hull as he had just drilled her for one of the prop shafts.
    Wow..........WOW........

Great Job Tim Jones !!! The Mother ship of the whole Skagit fleet !!!

Tim Jones, Marty Loken and George Calkins has been my inspiration to do things right. I would soak up ever word from them !!
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

That sure is fun to watch!!
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Great video. It's great that you captured Tim's excitement and anticipation. What a feeling that must have been for him.
        Thanks for the share!

Comment

ummm, not sure who did this video, possibly a friend or relative of Tim's in Friday harbor. I just found it in Tim's youtube channel. It's great to see the boat in it's condition at launch. There was an expedition to FH in 2003 that I participated in that involved several members of the Skagit Club to view his project. As I remember at that time, he was mocking up where the Volvo diesels would fit and showed some aspects of fairing the hull to remove ripples. It's a huge job to take a boat this size and do a proper restoration, and he nailed that. The keel on the 31s is mega, and all the more impressive in person when out of the water -up close.

Comment

I wrote a lengthy reply to this thread, but when I hit POST it kicked me out!

The Boston Harbor Marina was heavily damaged in Wednesday morning's wind storm. The Saratogan survived, but I need to move it to Swantown ASAP. Perhaps Kelly can give me a ride back to Boston Harbor to get my truck.....

Hope you like the video. My friend Jeremiah shot this. I recently uploaded it and edited it all together.....

Happy New Year !!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by McSkagit Tim Jones; 01-05-2017, 06:02 PM. Reason: added picture
            Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Tim I'm available tomorrow between 1-3:30pm...or Saturday morning before 1215pm. Do you still have my number?

Comment

Kelly,
                I don't have a plan yet. Yes, I have your number. I'll give you a call. The move will likely be Saturday, weather permitting.

Thanks for the prompt response...

Tim

Comment

Kelly,
                  I'm planning on moving the boat tomorrow, Saturday. With a little luck around noonish. Swantown wants the boat there to measure it.
                  I think Bruce Bridwell is coming down to assist, so understand your schedule may not fit. Not to worry. Will invite you down once I get situated. Mostly just need a ride getting back to my truck. I have your number....

Will be good to get shore power back on the boat.....

Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Yeah sorry Tim, i have to be at work by 1215...
                    Glad you're getting good help though! Would love to come by soon and chat Skagit and have a beer with you!

Comment

Got the boat moved yesterday. Cold wind, but managed to get it done. Special thanks to Bruce Bridwell for driving down and all the time and effort. Once secure, fired up the galley stove, enjoyed a couple beers and conversation about where the classic glass is at and needs to go. Stayed on the boat last night. Seemed like a long night, but slept well. Most of the ice in Swantown is gone this AM. Was one inch thick yesterday. Had to have the marina skiff break ice so we could get in. More later........

McSkagit

Comment

Tim glad you're situated. Crazy the ice was that bad in the marina! Yikes.
                        Nice work Bruce, awesome you drove down to help!

Comment

Tim assuming you have shirepower available you should check out what Maurizio posted to the ACBS-PNW Facebook page about his solution to protecting his 32' Chris Craft cruiser up in Vancouver. Pretty easy solutions, and it's working for him in the worst freeze Vancouver has seen in 30+ years!!
                          Brian Flaherty

Comment

Brian,
                            I read that ACBS post. I've heard over the years others using that technique to circulate warmer water and prevent freezing, especially in lakes. I don't know how much fresh water sits on top in East Bay in Olympia. The Deschutes river pours into the West bay, so I'm guessing depending on the tide, some of that water winds up on the east side.

I've never really worried too much about the boat freezing up in really cold weather as it sits low in the water and the typical water temperature (salt) is 45 degrees. So the boat is floating in a big heat sink. Question is, how thick is the fresh water layer in Olympia? If the engines ingest fresh water into the raw water circuits, that water is a potential freeze issue. Hopefully our really cold weather is over, but I'll keep a close eye on it. Thanks for the link.....

I'll post another thread about some of the stuff Bruce B. and I talked about on Saturday....

Cheers,
                            Tim
                            Last edited by McSkagit Tim Jones; 01-09-2017, 12:20 PM. Reason: syntax

Comment

One of our friends lives on her 38' Chris Craft in Squalicum Harbor (saltwater) and she posted videos of the birds and even a mid-sized dog walking around on the ice layer! Granted, Whatcom Falls Creek, and Squlicum Creek both discharge on either end of the marina so I am sure at low tide / slack tide there is a thick layer of fresh water.

I keep thinking I want a cruiser in the saltwater for crabbing and island hopping, then I hear about some of these "in the water all year" type problems and realize I have a lot to learn before I own a cruiser...
                              Brian Flaherty

Comment

Working...
                              X