Wanted**Cool/unique steering wheel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted**Cool/unique steering wheel

Looking for a cool steering wheel to put on the Skagit. Maybe you have one sitting in a car out in the back 40, or one just hanging in the garage...
    I'm all ears

Any particular style, diameter, dish depth, shaft size? Many are 3/4 inch Morse taper shaft. I have a stainless destroyer style. Not sue of diameter....
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Check this one out-
      http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bpo/5658049128.html
      And it's from a Uniflite, Kelly ! Maybe seller will give a better deal if you just get wheel, no hub/drum.
      Like Tim says, most likely 3/4 taper after you get past the Uniflite badge, trick will be to get that off without damaging. Then there's nut after that on the shaft. Tricky things, sometimes the shaft gets stuck to inside surface of steering wheel. New Teleflex/Sea Star rotary steering unit has same 3/4 tapered shaft. If the wheel has cracks ( they usually do at that age) easy project to enlarge cracks and fill with epoxy, repaint.

Comment

Tim I'm thinking anywhere in the neighborhood of 15" in diameter. 3/4 shaft for sure. I keep looking at the century boats...they had some really cool steering wheels! Maybe Brian can connect me to one with his wood friends

Thanks Bruce, I actually emailed the individual when I still had my uniflite but my schedule didn't work with his.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
          Tim I'm thinking anywhere in the neighborhood of 15" in diameter. 3/4 shaft for sure. I keep looking at the century boats...they had some really cool steering wheels! Maybe Brian can connect me to one with his wood friends

Thanks Bruce, I actually emailed the individual when I still had my uniflite but my schedule didn't work with his.
          Over the years, I have been collecting things for the Dorsett build.
          I have only One of these left, tapered shaft, will fit the new no feed back steering, but I am keeping it.
          But, they are our there.
          Its a Vollwrath Viking
          Attached Files
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Now that's cool! Stop teasing! LoL...

Comment

dig that ! definitely a nice score, Helmar ! Saw one of those once that was on a 14' Skagit and in the area where it says Volrath it said Skagit in script. Showed up on CL about 6 months ago.....who has it now?

Comment

I want this steering wheel!!!
                00101_EM6El0Okjm_600x450.jpg

Comment

Kelly, check out this one I saw on one of my Facebook groups!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4374...4027539391538/
                  Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                  1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Nice! I see he's getting all kinds of offers...very cool though!

Comment

So I found and bought an NOS steering wheel that was listed on ebay for all of 10 minutes with a "buy it now" option. It's a Thompson wheel, and wrong colors but the plan is to make it look like something Skagit put on. The real trick will be to make a Skagit center cap in place of the "T".
                      I'll also paint it, probably white and burgundy.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Just an idea, but you could make a mold of the cap with a silicone and cornstarch mix (I saw it on YouTube, but haven't tried it yet). Fill the mold with clear resin and you have a Clear plastic cap (as long nothing protrudes into the original one). Then get one of those cheap laser CNC etchers and etch your design of choice in the back. Fill the etched part with paint and remove any paint from the non etched areas. Either wipe off when wet or sand when dry. When the first layer is dry, paint a contrasting coat over it. It looks really cool in my imagination.

Comment

I like your thinking, though I'll have to see how the cap is put together. I might be lucky and it will be able to be taken apart easily. I will post up when it arrives next week.
                          I did get a message from the seller saying he found a "Crack" in the wheel that he didn't notice before and offered a refund or 50% off. Um, no brainer there.

Comment

Received my new steering wheel today. I'm super happy with this purchase! The color is way cooler than the pictures eluded to in the auction. It does have a unique hairline crack that goes laterally at the top of the wheel. I've never seen a steering wheel do that at the 12 o'clock position and since it's NOS I'm guessing it's from getting knocked around in storage.
                            Either way, it will get installed as is for now since I'm not sure i even want to paint it now that I've seen it in person.
                            Check it out...
                            Attached Files

Comment

oh, yes, for sure, keep it in the colors it's in now, too nice ! I wouldn't change the logo either, just looks too nice. My original wheel is looking a lot more worn, has a "patina" to it, don't want to paint it !P1110296 - Version 2.JPGHas original Wilcox Crittendon hub.

Comment

Working...
                              X