1959 Skagit 20 inboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Skagit 20 inboard

Listed for sale, Midnight Sun, a unique and cool color combo- original factory gelcoat !
    Owner Mike Kronik has been active in the club for years and has been the gracious host for club meetings !

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/5794179522.html

One of a very few 59 inboards. By then Skagit was beginning the I/O revolution by being an early recipient of units for factory installation in US.
    Joe, maybe you can tell us, was it Volvo I/O units that Skagit started handling?

322002-2.jpgDSCN0821.JPG

Originally posted by bruceb View Post
    Listed for sale, Midnight Sun, a unique and cool color combo- original factory gelcoat !
    Owner Mike Kronik has been active in the club for years and has been the gracious host for club meetings !

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/5794179522.html

One of a very few 59 inboards. By then Skagit was beginning the I/O revolution by being an early recipient of units for factory installation in US.
    Joe, maybe you can tell us, was it Volvo I/O units that Skagit started handling?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14410[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14411[/ATTACH]
    I think the one that knows the most about the Volvo Penta's would be Tim Jones. I think he went to school on them
    Here is another picture of Mike and Judy's boat by the way. Sorry but I forget Thom's (FrankenMerc) wifes name who is setting in the rear.
    All I would do to there boat was to add a kicker bracket and a kicker and then San Juans, here I come !!!!!

Mason_Lake_event_2010_021.jpg

The first Skagit I ever owned was a 1958 that had the very early Volvo Penta AQ or QA 100 outdrive hooked up to a Volvo B-16 motor.
    They used the same outdrive for awhile as like Tim Jones said, they built them too strong and to last so not many issues with them. I do have a back up for mine just in case as my 59 has the same outdrive.
    I am not sure what Mike and Judy's boat would do speed wise but mine with all that heavy oak cabinet work that was put in it, loaded up for the weekend, would get up to 28mph on the GPS. That really surprised me as all the cushions, roll up cabinets, sink, stove, Big engine cover with table top and pullout shelf, 40 gallons of fuel, ice chests, Tools among other items on board. Mine has a Volvo Penta B-18 with dual carbs in which were Solex at the time and I replaced them with Webers later on.
    Mine is a Heavy boat with all that as you can see how she is sitting low in the stern.
    newpaintrunningslowsm.jpgloadedreadysm.jpg
    Attached Files
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Timing is everything, I saw this ad last night and wished it was for sale sooner. When I first saw this boat at the last meeting (and first) I attended I wanted it! Super cool boat and the fact that Skagit used this color combo...wow! Brave!
      Last edited by Kelly; 09-26-2016, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Its not too late to make one of yours into an inboard. A lot better engine choices now 4.3, iron duke, 470 merk ,2.3 ford or all aluminum 350 chev.

Comment

Originally posted by John Nelson View Post
          Its not too late to make one of yours into an inboard. A lot better engine choices now 4.3, iron duke, 470 merk ,2.3 ford or all aluminum 350 chev.
          I like your ideas, but all I hear with that is "cha-ching"

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
            I like your ideas, but all I hear with that is "cha-ching"
            Personally, I am not too keen on the inboards nor the outboards on those. I am glad mine is a I/O.

I had a 17 Skagit that had a OMC I/O in it and was kind of looking for a donor boat. You know, some of those later model tri hull bland boats.
            You can find them were they have gone though the engine and/or outdrives but the rest of the boat is trashed for cheap.
            Normally the Wife will say, Dump that thing so you can score them pretty cheap. Strip the boat for parts and dump the hull. I found you can normally sell the trailers and non used parts for the dump fees for the hull.
            Less money than the outboard repair costs I find.

I also get pretty darn good gas mileage compared to that 85 Evenrude V6 I had. Those are Major Gas Hogs.
            If I had to do it again, I would be looking for a later model Volvo 290 outdrive rig.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Not sure if the Midnight Sun has trim tabs, can't recall and the pics in the ad don't show the stern. Nice thing about outdrives and outboards with tilt/trim, pretty easy to get these hulls in the right attitude for efficiency. Back in the day, I assume the inboard was a more expensive boat to buy than an outboard with motor.
              John Nelson is more of an expert on how the inboard 20 hull rides, i tend to think it would be pretty neat, as the weight is more forward on the inboard. From seeing the Midnight Sun running on LK. Whatcom when Steve Fisher owned it, sat lower in the water and did at least 25mph at wot. Cool boat.

Comment

Here you go...
                4237883713u_3x424x360f.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                  Here you go...
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]14416[/ATTACH]
                  Check this out. Mine has what looks to be a heater type fan motor on it on the inside that runs a worm gear.
                  You can run these down and really poke her nose in the water if you like.
                  It just blew me away how well those work too. Adjusting them is what got me up to the 28mph on the GPS.. Oh, and the engine.

reardonenopropsm.jpgTrimplates.jpgTrimcontrols.jpgTrimMotor.jpgInsidefromRearsm.jpgFrontsm.jpg
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Midnight is a great boat. I know of only one other inboard. It is in the Bay area Ca. She has a Gray Marine fireball 327. Marty clocked me on Mason lake at 38mph. Not wot. She rides like a fifties Buick in rough water. Hated to let her go.
                    1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

Working...
                    X