pertronix for the 55

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pertronix for the 55

Does anyone have the part# for the Pertronix Electronic Ignition for the Bearcat/Homelite 55? I could ask Bill up North but I'll post it here first.

Here's a link to the Pertronix online catalog, Crosley is listed under "Industrial distributors". They show two different numbers depending on which Prestolite distributor it is.

I'll check mine and see if there is a part number on it and post back here.

Tim

Comment

Darrel,
      The one in my F block is #1545
      Dick Johnson
      1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
      '57 Evinrude 18hp
      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
      '72 Johnson 6hp
      '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
      '65 Homelite 55
      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

I checked mine but I can't read the part number without taking it out and I'm too lazy ...

Comment

ebay deal

Thanks, found it on ebay for $79.45 (including s&h). I'll have to pick one up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/pertr...Q5fAccessories

Comment

Pertronix Installation Tricks??

I have broken down and purchased the Pertronix Ignition. Fed Ex will deliver it in a few days. I hope to install it this weekend. I thought I would check in here and check the collective wisdom of the group on tricks or things I should look out for as I install the Pertronix. Such as wiring hints or making sure, the timing is spot on as I install the pertronix. Any input is greatly appreciated. I am hoping this helps my idle smooth out
            Thanks
            Matt Nolan
            Catalina Doresett " Imagination"

Comment

You know, I am still using points, but I am interested in knowing the same things. Who knows, I might upgrade some day.
              I just carry an extra set of points and a condenser with me, figure if anything goes wrong, its easy and cheap to replace.

What is the benefit of going to that electric ignition again ? opcorn1:
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I have not run my F block with the Pertroniox since '09 so I can't give an opinion on it. I have just went through two days of trails with my freshly rebuilt A block which has a Pertronix unit also. At this point it starts easier and I do think it idles smoother.
                Dick Johnson
                '57 Evinrude 18hp
                '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                '72 Johnson 6hp
                '65 Homelite 55
                '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Pertronix Installation

So the Pertonix was delivered! My first question for the collective wisdom of the group is the orientation. Is the orientation I have noted in the picture correct, or should it be rotated 180 degrees ? The instructions are not clear on this point.
                  Thanks! Matt
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just looked at my F block and it's 180 from your picture. The one from Tim's engine was installed as your picture but I changed it to be like the F block so the wiring came out of the distributor on the coil side. So I don't think it makes any difference since it's creating a spark four times at one revolution of the distributor and it's the rotor that is directing the spark to the proper spark plug.
                    Dick Johnson
                    '57 Evinrude 18hp
                    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                    '72 Johnson 6hp
                    '65 Homelite 55
                    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Install Update

I took Dick's advice and installed the pertronix breaker plate so it was easiest to run the wires out of the distributer as shown in the first pictures. I then shorted the grommet so it was easier to run. Next was installing the sleeve over the distributer shaft. The fit is very tight and I had to use a significant force to get the sleeve down to the level of the electronic unit.
                      Finally, I wired the black wire to the negative side of the coil and the red to the positive side of the coil. I have not tried to start it up. I thought I would again seek the collective expertise of the group to double check my work and make sure I have not made any blunders. I appreciate all input!
                      Thanks Matt
                      Attached Files

Comment

Matt, I had to take some material off the bottom side of the rotor as the distributor cap would not sit down tight on the distributor. Something interesting I find in the directions you posted is about the ballast resistor or resistor wire, the red wire from the pertronix should be on the 12V side. The factory wire to the coil is a resistor wire and most likely is only 9V. If I'm interpreting this correctly the red wire should hookup to the 12V side of the terminal block. However both of mine are hooked up as you have wired yours and it seems to work fine. I'll have to do a little investigating into this.
                        Dick Johnson
                        '57 Evinrude 18hp
                        '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                        '72 Johnson 6hp
                        '65 Homelite 55
                        '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                        '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Some quotes from another installation seems to confirm the wiring is okay like we have it.

"If you want to install a Pertronix system in your car, you should be aware that the voltage at the ignition coil is limited to ~ 9V while the car is running. This is done to minimize the pitting that would normally occur at the points. The voltage is lowered by running the current to the coil through a resistance wire that is in the circuit between the ignition switch and the coil."

"Note that all of this may be moot. I called Pertronix about the installation in my '64 Riviera to ask about this, as I get 8.5 V at the coil with the engine running. I wanted to know if I had to run a new wire to get 12 V to the Pertronix module and/or coil. I was told that both will work at 7.5+ V. This means that even with the resistance wire in place, you should run just fine tapping off the coil terminal."
                          Dick Johnson
                          '57 Evinrude 18hp
                          '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                          '72 Johnson 6hp
                          '65 Homelite 55
                          '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                          '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Working...
                          X