X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired off the Bearcat

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 22136
    You're right to be nervous, that motor has bad juju. :donttouch:
    Tim I have a question about your distributor, did you have the Pertronix in it the whole time you ran your engine? I used your distributor too.

Now on to the juju, it got me. Not sure how I did it but I have distributor timed 180 degrees out. (actually I know what I did) I'm not going back in to fix it either, I just moved the #1 plug wire to the #4 position and started there. Fired right up (after the initial scratching my head after the backfiring) and runs sweet!
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Way to go Dick...Another Bearcat Lives
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

We have oil pressure.

Idling at 35 psi and 55 psi at higher rpm at temperature. I spent more time adjusting the valves this time and they sound much quieter that the last time. Cam on, cam off, several times, this is where the distributor got screwed up.
      Attached Files
      Dick Johnson
      '57 Evinrude 18hp
      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
      '72 Johnson 6hp
      '65 Homelite 55
      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster, post: 22142
        Tim I have a question about your distributor, did you have the Pertronix in it the whole time you ran your engine? I used your distributor too.

Now on to the juju, it got me. Not sure how I did it but I have distributor timed 180 degrees out. (actually I know what I did) I'm not going back in to fix it either, I just moved the #1 plug wire to the #4 position and started there. Fired right up (after the initial scratching my head after the backfiring) and runs sweet!
        Dick, I ran points for about half the time I ran the motor. I didn't have any issues with the points, just have lots of memories of fussing with points in old cars and wanted consistent performance.

The only problem I ever had with that distributor was the drive key shearing off, and I never did figure out what the heck was causing that. Have you seen anything that would account for it?

Should be able to just loosen dist clamp, lift dist and turn 180 to position it correctly.

Tim

Comment

What I found is with the stock rotor and the Pertronix, the distributor cap doesn't sit all the way down. I noticed that with my other one. I had to remove some material from the rotor and now it sits as it should. Just wondering if the pressure on the rotor shaft could have been contributing to the key shearing. But if you also had the problem with running points then probably not.

Wish it was as simple at turning the rotor shaft 180 degrees, the key is off-
          set so it will only go in one way. Moving the plug wires worked. Next valve adjustment I'll fix it. For now it runs fine and will stay this way. I've had #1 on many vehicles in places other than the correct spot. When I dropped a new 390 in my 74 Ford F250 my buddy Jeff would not let me put the distributor in, it drove him nuts when I just wired it where it dropped in. StirPot
          Dick Johnson
          '57 Evinrude 18hp
          '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
          '72 Johnson 6hp
          '65 Homelite 55
          '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
          '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

It's about ready for trials

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8q-IxQQCig"]Bearcat 55hp rebuild 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

So I think I've got rid of the gremlins that came with Tim's engine. This distributor thing has been dealt with, the manifold had a broken wire on the water temp sensor that didn't want to solder back on is fixed, sensor has been tested and is working. Carbs were flooding and replaced with the ones of my original runner, and the flywheel came loose while running, holy crap that was scary!:Scared1: All these items came from Tim's engine. Yes, bad juju. I think we're ready for trout season, are you ready Helmar?
            Dick Johnson
            '57 Evinrude 18hp
            '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
            '72 Johnson 6hp
            '65 Homelite 55
            '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
            '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Good deal, another Bearcat Lives !!!

Yes, more than ready for fresh trout :eating1:
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Sleep with one eye open, Dick.

Sleep with one eye open ...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 22264
                  Sleep with one eye open, Dick.

Sleep with one eye open ...
                  LOL! Tim you were right about the distributor you can turn it 180 and put it in. Originally I tried that and it wouldn't go in. Yesterday while trying find the source of an oil leak I found I had mixed an early valve cover with a late distributor, this was my leak. Looking again at the key, it was centered, not offset and went right in either way. Everything is back to normal......................for now!
                  Dick Johnson
                  '57 Evinrude 18hp
                  '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                  '72 Johnson 6hp
                  '65 Homelite 55
                  '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                  '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Well, at least if you shear a distributor drive key on the water, you can always paddle to shore and whittle another one out of a piece of wood. Or you can cut up the hard plastic screw top from a bottle of water and jam a few pieces in place and it'll run well enough to get back in.

Ask me how I know these things ...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 22279
                      Well, at least if you shear a distributor drive key on the water, you can always paddle to shore and whittle another one out of a piece of wood. Or you can cut up the hard plastic screw top from a bottle of water and jam a few pieces in place and it'll run well enough to get back in.

Ask me how I know these things ...
                      No need to ask I already know, LOL! I may be running your distributor but I'm using my camshaft which still has the plastic drive key. There is also two spares in the boat. If I don't shear one we'll know there is nothing wrong with the distributor. I've been thinking of chucking up your cam in my lathe and running a dial on it. I'd like to know where the problem is
                      Dick Johnson
                      '57 Evinrude 18hp
                      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                      '72 Johnson 6hp
                      '65 Homelite 55
                      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

I had the same problem the way I solved it was to custom make one out of aluminum stock, never had the problem again.

Tom

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 22148
                        Dick, I ran points for about half the time I ran the motor. I didn't have any issues with the points, just have lots of memories of fussing with points in old cars and wanted consistent performance.

The only problem I ever had with that distributor was the drive key shearing off, and I never did figure out what the heck was causing that. Have you seen anything that would account for it?

Should be able to just loosen dist clamp, lift dist and turn 180 to position it correctly.

Tim

Comment

It's back to the drawing board with this engine! : (

It's been removed from the boat again, smoking and dumping oil like before. Not quite sure what's going on with it. Four times out and that was it. Oh well went back to the reliable '65 Homelite, replaced the oil seal in the lower unit below the water pump and the driveshaft as the seal area on the other one was grooved. Decided I'd put that newer blue Globe impeller from Tim's engine since it looked like new still. First time out it got hot while trolling, didn't want to pump water at lower rpms. Got it home, removed the impeller and some of the blades were facing the wrong way, I must have been in hurry when I put it together. Fixed that, seemed to be pumping okay. Took it out again, nope not pumping at idle. Took it apart again and replaced the whole damn pump and used an OEM impeller. Works fine now, actually better now that it did the last season I used it. Took a good look at the Globe impeller and found the driveshaft hole was drilled at an angle. Interesting, that one must have slipped by quality control! I think I'll mail it back to them. Tomorrow it's going out for another fishing trip, third time's charm I hope!!!!
                          Dick Johnson
                          '57 Evinrude 18hp
                          '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                          '72 Johnson 6hp
                          '65 Homelite 55
                          '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                          '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Working...
                          X