Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homelite ignition timing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Homelite ignition timing?

    Where are the timing marks, and are there any opinions (besides stock) of ideal ignition timing? (Picture would be great) In a car, you advance it till it pings and then back it off a tad, make sure it starts, make sure it doesn't run on. But it seems there is no way to hear the boat motor ping.

    Dave Riker

  • #2
    Have someone else drive it at 3/4 throttle. Turn dist by hand till you get top rpm on tach or it pings you will hear it if youre right there. Make sure it dosnt ping at full throttle.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks! Going to replace cap, rotor, wires and plugs, then give it a go. I read the manual, but there were no pictures as to where the timing marks were on the flywheel. On a parts motor, I found where someone had painted them on, so I guess it's static time, mark with paint, and go from there. Will do the 3/4 throttle test.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by davriker View Post
        Thanks! Going to replace cap, rotor, wires and plugs, then give it a go. I read the manual, but there were no pictures as to where the timing marks were on the flywheel. On a parts motor, I found where someone had painted them on, so I guess it's static time, mark with paint, and go from there. Will do the 3/4 throttle test.
        I think its by or though the lifting eye or right between that and the flywheel.
        Sounds like you don't have a complete manual ?
        My printed manuals are over at the shop so no easy access to them. I was looking for a picture of it and didn't find it either.
        I know its not good to even hand turn the flywheel backwards with the pump. Can't remember the rotation either... Its a Got Old thing..
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

        Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

        Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

        Comment


        • #5
          They turn CCW, learned that real quick when I had to rope start mine Yes the "V" in the lifting eye is the stationary mark the flywheel marks line up to. There is a line scribed on the crankshaft at the nut, one on the flywheel outside the nut and washer. These must line up and point toward the V notch. At the notch you should find 0 and to the side of 0 should be 8 then 20. I think they were set at 8 degrees idling at 650 rpm with the timing light.
          Dick Johnson
          1989 16ft Sylvan
          '57 Evinrude 18hp
          '58 Johnson 5.5hp
          '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
          '64 Johnson 18hp
          '72 Johnson 6hp
          '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
          '65 Homelite 55
          '66 Homelite
          '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
          '70 Bearcat 55 (2)

          Comment


          • #6
            Ok, so found TDC with #1 plug out and cap off. Marked TDC, 8 degrees, and 42 degrees onto the flywheel. Filled my garbage can with water and started to see where I was at. Engine loves way more inital advance than the 8 degrees at idle, so out on the water we went. First run after about 5 minutes warm up time, I got less total RPM than I had when I began tinkering, so I backed it off and ran again. I haven't checked my setting via timing light since I got back in, but on the water I was able to find the sweet spot where I got the max RPM.

            It just seems like it should create more torque than it does. The 10x11 prop I started with wouldn't even let me get the boat onto plane with 4 people on board, and wouldn't turn over 4000 rpm with just two of us on board. I'm down to a 10x9.25 prop on a 14 foot v-hull. Now I can get it to 5600 rpm, and it pulls up onto plane well, but all said and done, max out I'm at 28 MPH with two on board. Those sound like numbers that you guys get on 16 & 17 foot boats. I've experimented with the trim setting, and have it as far up as I can tilt without porpoising. I also see you guys are nervous running these up at their max rpm, but the manual says they are safe to 6000. More thoughts?

            Dave

            Comment


            • #7
              28 MPH @ 5600 RPM in a 17ft boat sounds pretty good. I had a 55hp Homelight on my 17ft Seafair at one time. Don't remember the exact numbers. But they were close to what your reporting.
              Steve Kiesel
              1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by davriker View Post

                It just seems like it should create more torque than it does. The 10x11 prop I started with wouldn't even let me get the boat onto plane with 4 people on board, and wouldn't turn over 4000 rpm with just two of us on board. I'm down to a 10x9.25 prop on a 14 foot v-hull. Now I can get it to 5600 rpm, and it pulls up onto plane well, but all said and done, max out I'm at 28 MPH with two on board. Those sound like numbers that you guys get on 16 & 17 foot boats. I've experimented with the trim setting, and have it as far up as I can tilt without porpoising. I also see you guys are nervous running these up at their max rpm, but the manual says they are safe to 6000. More thoughts?

                Dave
                The factory and Michigan replacement props are 11.5" diameter. I'm running an 11.5x12 which brings the max rpm on my 16' boat to 5400 rpm max and 26 to 28 mph. I put the same prop on Helmar's 17' Uniflyte, max speedwise we were about even. Pretty sure the Uni is heavier, his weight distribution is much better than mine and gets on plane quicker than my boat.

                As far as nervous about max rpm, I'm not. It just doesn't make sense to me to go full out when 3/4 throttle is damn close to max speed and a little easier on the engine. I'll take it WOT to speed then back it off.
                Dick Johnson
                1989 16ft Sylvan
                '57 Evinrude 18hp
                '58 Johnson 5.5hp
                '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                '64 Johnson 18hp
                '72 Johnson 6hp
                '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
                '65 Homelite 55
                '66 Homelite
                '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                '70 Bearcat 55 (2)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel View Post
                  28 MPH @ 5600 RPM in a 17ft boat sounds pretty good. I had a 55hp Homelight on my 17ft Seafair at one time. Don't remember the exact numbers. But they were close to what your reporting.
                  I might not have been clear, my boat is only 14 foot, so if they guys are getting that speed on a 17 footer, it seems like I'm not getting the full potential somewhere.
                  Dave

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by davriker View Post
                    I might not have been clear, my boat is only 14 foot, so if they guys are getting that speed on a 17 footer, it seems like I'm not getting the full potential somewhere.
                    Dave
                    Dave,
                    If your prop is only 10" diameter I'd say this is the problem. All mine are 11.5" in diameter and I'm using a 12 pitch 3 blade. The charts for your boat show an 11.5 x 12 or 13 pitch should be correct for a 14 ft
                    boat.

                    Michigan Props:

                    PS72 - aluminum, 3-blade, 11.5x13, 14 to 16' Boats, light loads
                    SMC620 - bronze, 3-blade, 11.5x13, 14 to 16' Boats, light loads
                    PS71 - aluminum, 3-blade, 11.5x12, 14 to 16' Boats, all loads, skis
                    SMC628 - bronze, 3-blade, 11.5x12, 14 to 16' Boats, all loads, skis
                    PS73 - aluminum, 3-blade, 11.5x11, 16 to 17' Boats, all loads, skis
                    SMC626 - bronze, 3-blade, 11.5x11, 16 to 17' Boats, all loads, skis
                    PS74 - aluminum, 3-blade, 11.5x10, 17 to 19' Boats, all loads, skis
                    PS75- aluminum, 3-blade, 11.5x9, 20 to 24' Boats, one engine
                    PS76 - aluminum, 3-blade, 11.5x8, cruisers, houseboats, sailboats
                    SMC629 - bronze, 3-blade, 11.5x8, cruisers, houseboats, sailboats
                    AMC712 - aluminum, 4-blade, 11.5x8, cruisers, houseboats, sailboats
                    Dick Johnson
                    1989 16ft Sylvan
                    '57 Evinrude 18hp
                    '58 Johnson 5.5hp
                    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                    '64 Johnson 18hp
                    '72 Johnson 6hp
                    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
                    '65 Homelite 55
                    '66 Homelite
                    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                    '70 Bearcat 55 (2)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X