How is choke solenoid wired

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is choke solenoid wired

So reviewing the schematic/ ignition switch to the late model Homelite I see the choke solenoid energizes through the C terminal I don't have a terminal mark C just ACC,start,run,bat terminal. Acc terminal energized turning cc wise from off and in run position Do I want the choke solenoid to work each time? and just run it with my green start wire?. Can someone clarify this for me looks like factory switch but not completely sure. I could put push button somewhere to make this a way of accomplish this but that doesn't seem right. Regards, Paul
    Last edited by frogpond; 03-14-2016, 07:35 PM. Reason: Rewording to clarify question

Hmm, I replaced my switch last year, when I get a chance I will take a look and see what I did. I do know I don't turn my switch counter-clockwise for anything. More to follow...

Comment

Originally posted by frogpond View Post
      So reviewing the schematic/ ignition switch to the late model Homelite I see the choke solenoid energizes through the C terminal I don't have a terminal mark C just ACC,start,run,bat terminal. Acc terminal energized turning cc wise from off and in run position Do I want the choke solenoid to work each time? and just run it with my green start wire?. Can someone clarify this for me looks like factory switch but not completely sure. I could put push button somewhere to make this a way of accomplish this but that doesn't seem right. Regards, Paul
      I know Kelly and I have the same controls and I also have the rectangle controller (in storage, boat is also stored at a friends house) but I only remember that if I turned the switch clockwise, it turns On, then Start. If I Push it in, it works the choke...Just haven't been around it for awhile to double check that.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Mine doesn't push in it is most likely aftermarket. Will search for proper switch thanks for the help. Paul

Comment

Source

Hi Kelly,Joe, Kelly If you found a proper replacement that has key push in function please send me the source. I will do some surfing tonight. Paul

Comment

omc uses a key push choke, there common napa has them not expensive or you can add a push button. Take power from ignition or run lug.

Comment

On order

Thanks John ordered one from iboats I thought something was fishy. Paul

Comment

Sorry I didn't have time to get to it but it sounds like you got one on the way. Yes, my choke is push the key in like Joe mentioned and I know I got it locally but will have to try and find which source I got it from.

Either way, now that you have one let us know how it goes

Comment

There are two different types of of push choke key switches, battery ignition, open circuit when in off position and magneto which is a closed circuit when in the off position. Magneto switches are the most common.
                  Dick Johnson
                  1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
                  '57 Evinrude 18hp
                  '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                  '72 Johnson 6hp
                  '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
                  '65 Homelite 55
                  '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                  '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

For the clubs knowlege base I bought a Sierra MP41000 which has the push button choke feature. It also has the magneto circuit capability it is a 6 lug switch and fits nicely into control box. Paul
                    Last edited by frogpond; 03-23-2016, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X