J15ELCEC 15 HP Johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J15ELCEC 15 HP Johnson

Hi Guys, I have a 1989 J15ELCEC 15 HP Johnson with a start button and a kill button on opposite sides of the motor. Can I rig up a dash mounted key start with this motor? What is involved?
    Thank you,
    Bob

Bob,
    It can be done but with a tiller model,you may need to think about using a Production remote box for shifting and throttle control too.You can do Remote or the Tiller but need to disable the tiller handle so no linkage conflicts arise.
    Wiring from the terminal strip with a red plugged harness would be the safest way to go ,with the remote box becoming how the Nuetral interlock device will keep it from starting while still in Gear.
    A push to choke keyswitch will make starting alot easier.
    The tiller model could have a kill lanyard left alone so you have two places to shut it down,or to use as a Theft-deterrent when parked in the water.
    Buying any of the above new will drive the price up ,so finding a donor
    (1973+ ,and not running) would be the cheapest way to go full remote.Just the pigtail for the motor end is over $100.00 but if you buy the harness extension and cut it in half,you`ll have the plug ready to use after some simple crimps and terminal ends.
    Now if just moving the "Start" button up front,then sleeving the wires and running both the start and kill circuts will get you running......choke and shifting are sorta luxuries you`d have to manually do.
    You may even end up with a Hot horn function if you wire the full deal and have a brown lead from the head.Easily added if not there.
    Goodluck,those motor mounted switches and wiring are really tightly trapped under the carb baffle, un-threading and removing are a challenge ,sorta why I mentioned leaving them.
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Good Info

Thank you Tim. That is a big help!!
      Bob

Comment

Working...