Don't show this to the "Merc" guys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't show this to the "Merc" guys

Don't show this to the "Merc" guys - because they won't like it. Here is a nice video of a 1961 Evinrude 75 hp that shows what they really can do. I got this engine off of an abandoned boat that was destined for the land fill. The engine sat for a couple decades, but fortunately, the hood was closed tightly. The points were burnished and gapped, new spark plugs installed, cylinders & crank case were given a shot of oil. Hoolked up a battery & fuel, and this baby fired on the 3rd crank! It even pumped water & idled smoothly! The carb has not been off, nor the fuel pump, & I have not changed the impeller yet either! My OMC hating friends were in complete misery when they saw how this neglected gem ran. In this video, the engine has been fitted with a Pertronix electronic ignition that I cooked up for it. I also installed a Pertronix 40,000 volt coil, and Nippon Denso spark plugs with a gap of .050". It runs like a dream & it hauls ass. NO SMOKE. & for you Merc guys....... The initial take off and cruise was at 1/4 throttle. Just wait 'till I slip the 1967 100 HP head under the hood... HA!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kilOB8QmCSM"]YouTube - 50 year old Evinrude & Reinell burn up lake Shasta[/ame]

Nice.
    I saw that video right after I came back from Shasta earlier this fall. Awesome.

It even looks great...from what can be seen. Did you refinish the cowl?

That was a lot of cold rainy nights and blistering hot days for that engine to have sat out. If it was a Merc; at least you would have had to redo the wiring.

Chuck in Santa Barbara
    1957 Cadillac w/1947 Scott-Atwater 473
    1965 Alpex w/1964 West-Bend 45
    1977 Thunderbird w/85HP Merc
    1964 Montgomery-Ward W/1978 Johnson 15

Comment

Sweet Ride Bruce,
      Looks like the ride got a little blurry from the sheer speed.
      The low profile and smoothness of the squatty V-4 really make them user friendly ,only the amt. of gas burned at WOT would make it wise to carry a 3 or 6 gallon "Get Home" reserve.
      And with points ,it won`t shut down like a lightswitch when ignition woes decide to surface.

Or does the Pertronix remove those relics?

I got a bunch of Totes with lots of NOS parts for that 1961 beast,even some un-used carbs ,spare block,lower unit and other stuff too.
      Might trade it all for some Boat Booty someday.......

TM
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Mattson, post: 14796
        ...the amt. of gas burned at WOT would make it wise to carry a 3 or 6 gallon "Get Home" reserve...
        TM
        Truer words were never spoken, in my limited experience.

Comment

Working...
        X