Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkagitRod 17, V-4 I/O power

'55 Bell Boy, V-4 I/O power

To those of you that already question my sanity, I give you more ammunition...

Although I despise all outboards, I hold a particular disdain for 60's Evinrude Starflite V-4's and their polluting ways. Hours of fruitless wrenching on 4 different examples of OMC's best, in various states of neglect-left me with knowledge of their weaknesses that I swore would never/ever be utilized.

The chop-top 1957 SkagitRod 17 that is next in line for the custom treatment, was begging for an I/O or jet, but space and weight are a big consideration. Enter the 88hp 2-stroke V-4 inboard that our Commodore excised from Ric's '65 Evinrude Reveler? he is converting to carry an outboard. It's package is very compact and easy to retrofit with the stringer mount and a very good hp/weight ratio.

Hiding within the existing splashwell footprint would be awesome! A padded engine cover will hold down the ruckus of full throttle operation, and provide a nice place to sit or sunbath. With a little horse trading McCrain and I agreed to trade junk. In addition, another whole '65 Evinrude was located on C/L that supplied a second complete running gear, controls, tanks, and bulletproof deck hardware...CutUp1
    Attached Files

Mr Sanity , That is going to be one fun project. Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Coooool.....

Greg, you say you have two?:surprised1: One word..........TWINS!!:BigHappy1: Call it a disjointed V8!
      Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Don't Encourage Him, Gordon!

Not sure I'd encourage the masochistic Mr. Sanity to go with twins, since the only thing more problematic than one of those OMC V-4 units is TWO of them. (I'm kidding, sort of...well...maybe not at all.)

Great drawing, Greg...and good luck with the i/o package. (The Commodore apparently did some research before swapping the OMC unit for 'junk.')

- Marty
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

function follows form...

Originally posted by halffast32, post: 14851
          Greg, you say you have two?:surprised1: One word..........TWINS!!:BigHappy1: Call it a disjointed V8!
          I did consider twin V-4's for a brief moment Gordon, besides the reliability issues Marty mentioned, we would need a Boeing refueling tanker to feed those hungry carbs. If fuel costs were no concern, I would've dropped in a 460 powered jet pump with over transom headers. Have to admit that option still makes me

Since my predilection is to modify rather than repair, Tim is going to make sure that everything is in order and ready to drop-in. While I concentrate on customizing the hull. Besides the 2" chop top, a delta pad is planned for the keel, a one-off deck hatch/brow for the cabin, dash and transom mods will keep me running this winter.

Thanks to a link posted by StrayCat(Lon) last year, I am working on building an oven to blow a plexiglass split bubbletop like a custom show car from the early 60's. With any luck the resulting bubble will be cut to form two windshields: one for the SkagitRod and a second for the StilettoJet.

Mr. Sanity
          Attached Files

Comment

wrenchin' to the beat of own drummer...

With two nice V-4 sterndrive packages to mess with, we are choosing the best components to assemble a "bulletproof"Screwy1 powertrain. For all of the negative feedback people have regarding the 2-stroke ball-drive stringers, if used as intended, you can't beat the well engineered small package to open up some usable space lost to the splashwell. Plus, the sterndrive lift motor works great and will be very handy for a one handed gimp like me. I am planning on using Amsoil's 100-1 synthetic premix to hold down the smoke, so my conscience and sweetheart will be comfortable.
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm thinking be careful with running 100:1 even with a good synthetic. The guy I buy Amsoil from suggested it is better to run at 50:1. I've never dared try running any kind of oil at 100:1. Anyone done that for a period of time with no engine problems?
              There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Guinea pig

Hey Jerry, thanks for your concern. I know that the whole oil thing is always controversial-which is partly why I posted it. We ran into the same controversy when we bought only diesel vehicles so we could run pump biodiesel. For every success story there are 20 guys that blame every failure on the new product. Most of the 50's outboards recommend 25 to 1, which is completely unnecessary with modern oils. Depending on the bearing type and clearances there is good reason to be cautious, but with 46 year old equipment, I think that it is worth the risk for fresh air on the high seas.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Comment

I have about 40 motor and will not run oil mix over 24 to 1 unless I know it has roller bearing though out the whole motor. A little smoke is better then way out on the water somewhere and have the motor blow. Besides at 50 to 1 you don't notice the smoke unless your sitting at iddle and at the mix not much smoke. Oil is cheeper then a rebild.
                  Mike aka pathfinderz1:fishing:
                  Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Greg ,
                    I ike the Evolution of the windshield.....it now has two rather distinct features that are sure to please most eyes.
                    I`d say don`t run premium gas( 87 or 89 is fine),don`t hold the throttle at WOT for long ,and you may get away with the lesser ratio of oil.
                    You could always use a 3 way fuel valve to switch from one leaner mix for idling at the dock or canal ,then a richer mix for WOT speed runs with no idling or close quarters.Or not.
                    Keep on Chopping.....
                    TM
                    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                    SeaRay 175BR
                    Hi-Laker lapline
                    14` Trailorboat

Comment

I always run my engines at 13 to 1 . Runs real smooth !

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 14965
                        Chuck-I bet that the resulting smokescreen helps you escape from the bad guys, and/or fend off the hoards of mosquitoes...or perhaps you meant the odds that your bookie uses to place your stake. In any case, I can guarantee that's why I've never met Shiela.

P.S. Did you notice that I changed the project name to ward off your Skagit-X trademark suit?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 14965
                          This might expain Chucks pictures.

Comment

Slo Mo, i did notice and it's about time ! And how do you like my new camera ? Just got the rubrail end caps back from the chromer....super good price. WoW what a nice job! Speaking of Skagit-X project, there might be something coming up in about three years from now. It is just waiting to happen, but in the meantime i'am going to enjoy the Skagit 20 and G-3 until then ( not going to sell them ) and one other thing i will have to check out things as far as my age goes then, being i will be about 73 and when It's done closer to 74 or 75.....OMG ! Maybe GregJ and i will be in the REST HOME. I know he will for sure..... Chuck
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looking great Chuck-I heard that your homeport of Creosote, Washington is a real happening place!

P.S. Your new camera still has a dreamy haze, I think DaveC must be right, that uber-rich 2-stroke smoke gets on everything.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X