• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck, good looking rattle can chrome.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

O.m.g.-omc!

Thanks for you thoughts Mattson, looking forward to seeing your work in person.

I forgot to mention my favorite attribute of the stringer mount V-4: NO NEED TO INSTALL A WOOD TRANSOM!!!!:GoTeam1:

The beefy Skagit fiberglass stringers and floor hold all of the weight of the drive system, leaving the transom to perform only structural integrity and outdrive seal functions. Originally, the 1965 Evinrude donor boat only had a 3/16 outer skin of glass at the stern. The derelict 1957-8 Skagit 17' that I got from Marty was completely stripped and partially sanded, with two new 3/8" layers installed of a partial transom. This will be modified to form a glass/wood sandwich above the sole to eliminate vibrations in the curved cross-section at a significant weight and effort savings. Freeing my time up to customize the stern section befitting of the lead-sled, hot-rod concept.
      Attached Files

Comment

Waiting for gaskets...

The Evinrude V-4 is not the only part of the sacrificial 1965 Evinrude Sportsman that will see duty on the SkagitRod. There were five nicely designed, very heavy duty cleats that were earmarked to take the place of the decidedly less masculine torpedo shaped originals. Don't get me wrong, I really like the vintage rocket hardware, but this concept begged for more beef. These really cool OMC pieces were brought to my attention, in a post last year by Doug Griffin (Skagitman, aka Powertrip) who put a set on his PowerCat to great effect.

While not period correct, I dare anyone to try to outmuscle these bad-boys!
        Attached Files

Comment

Almost there ...

Just one more gasket to make.

This stringer has an interesting carb, an inline horizontal 4 barrel. Not only does it have an automotive-style heated bi-metal spring choke, which can be manually turned to off, auto and on, it also has a soleniod activated choke operated from a dash push-button. They pretty much got the choke thing covered ...
          Attached Files

Comment

Have you got any pix of how the carb is set up on this V4 motor. I have some of the regular V4 motors Johnson and Evinrude. That V4 laying on its side intrests me.
            Thanks
            Mike aka pathfinderz1

Originally posted by slo-mo, post: 14849
            To those of you that already question my sanity, I give you more ammunition...

Although I despise all outboards, I hold a particular disdain for 60's Evinrude Starflite V-4's and their polluting ways. Hours of fruitless wrenching on 4 different examples of OMC's best, in various states of neglect-left me with knowledge of their weaknesses that I swore would never/ever be utilized.

The chop-top 1957 SkagitRod 17 that is next in line for the custom treatment, was begging for an I/O or jet, but space and weight are a big consideration. Enter the 88hp 2-stroke V-4 inboard that our Commodore excised from Ric's '65 Evinrude Reveler? he is converting to carry an outboard. It's package is very compact and easy to retrofit with the stringer mount and a very good hp/weight ratio.

Hiding within the existing splashwell footprint would be awesome! A padded engine cover will hold down the ruckus of full throttle operation, and provide a nice place to sit or sunbath. With a little horse trading McCrain and I agreed to trade junk. In addition, another whole '65 Evinrude was located on C/L that supplied a second complete running gear, controls, tanks, and bulletproof deck hardware...CutUp1
            Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Working...
            X