Two OMC motors for $50

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two OMC motors for $50

Just couldn't pass these two up, a '57 Johnson Super Seahorse 35 hp and a '58 Evinrude Bigtwin thirty five. Both for $50. Hope to get one of these running in time for the Willamete cruise. Both are long shaft, both electric start. Should be an ideal fit for that boat.

Seven months of scanning Craigs list daily finally paid off,... I think.
    Attached Files
    '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Nice find Brian,
    No boat came with the motors?
    Just teasing but realize a new Thumbscrew Lever (with lever and pad) now list price at $77 per side.:shocked4:
    Shocks are another part you do not want to how much they are new.
    Bombardier(OMC) is trying to price us out of keeping the old dogs running as they don`t seem to be making it affordable.
    Another item is maybe updating the fuel pump to a compression powered type with single line to carb and it will then use the new fuel tanks with fittings.Again,you don`t want to buy these new either....at $89 per pump.
    So ,for $50 you got a bargain.Times 2 that is.:TwoCents1:
    Goodluck ,use lots of penetrant.
    TM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Yikes! I was looking for parts today and they aren't as esay to find as I was hoping. The SeaHorse has the best shot at running, it has electric choke, compression feels good, and with the plugs out, turns pretty nice. It does have the fuel pump on the side of one cylinder, but it looks kinda' wimpy.

When I pulled the plugs out, they look like they were running fine whenever the last time it ran. The Evinrude is froze up and the bottom plug was fouled with crud, oil and water. If I can get it running some day, it'll look good sitting next to the 7 1/2 Evinrude of the same year.

There are carb kits for it the SeaHorse on i-boats, but nothing for fuel pumps. Hopefully a carb and fuel pump rebuild is all it needs besides putting it all back together and hooking it up. We'll see if I can get it going.
      Attached Files

Comment

Javelin/E-Rude 35hp

Brian,

I saw your post and I have a couple more motors you maybe able to use. I have a 1957 Javelin and a '58 Rude 35hp in pieces. The javelin is in good shape - the big twin needs help but has great compression. I'd be willing to trade for one set of long shaft parts + anything else interesting. I have two 30hp and would like to make one a long shaft. Let me know if you could use these motors - I am in vancouver, WA. I need to get rid of some inventory.:doghouse1:

-John
        jckempke@gmail.com

Comment

Fuel pump

Brian,

You shouldn't have to spend a fortune on parts, parts for these are on ebay all the time at reasonable prices. I have a '57 35 Super Seahorse that I was given because the steering bracket / handle was broken and "these don't exist anymore", I found a very good replacement on ebay for $20.00.

If you search the net you'll find several how-to's describing the conversion from the pressure tank system to a fuel pump, it seems that just about any make of pulse pump can be fitted. I've seen them installed directly to the bypass cover or a fitting installed in the cover with a pulse hose running to the pump. Several times guys have mentioned using small Mikuni pumps which can be found on Amazon in the $20-$40 range. I'll be converting my motor when I get around to restoring it.

Also, if your pump isn't working you should be able to buy the diaphragm material and make a new one yourself. Pulse pumps are pretty simple, just a flexible diaphragm and some type of check valve system.

Let me know if you need a parts list or manual for your motors, I may be able to help with those.

Tim

Comment

whew, solvent hangover!

Finally got some time on the motors yesterday. Got the Big twin open and was able to pop loose the siezed cylinder pretty easy. Compression/vacuum seems ok and turns pretty good. It's cleaning up pretty good so I'm going to get the Evinrude going first. It will need the reed valves from the Sea horse though.

So full clean-up and cylinder recovery is in progress. The impeller, carb kit and tune-up kit arrived yesterday. The manual should be here soon.

For the fuel pump, the Big twin has a more robust fuel pump and filter than the Sea horse. Got some time to hunt those parts down while I'm fixin' and cleanin',... back to work
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey for parts and gaskets or anything else post your questions on here these guy do nothing but work and play with these old motors. They can get you parts numbers and were to get what ever you might need. Hey its free to ask questions so give them a try.
              http://www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y...ard=askamember
              Mike aka pathfinderz1
              Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

John,

That's some nice looking Seahorses there. The one I have seems to have a good lower unit but a little warp in the skeg. The BigTwin lower is a bit chewed up and leaks from one of the seals. Looks like it could be fixed up though. I was hoping to get them both running.

I am looking for a flywheel for the Evinrude. I ripped the center out of it trying to get it off with a wheel puller. I knew better, but thought I'd get lucky again. Looks like the Rude is out of commision for a little while. The Seahorse is back up next for repair.

I'll keep an eye out for long shaft parts and give you a holler if I see anything. You need internal parts? Casing? Complete lower?
                Attached Files

Comment

You used a claw puller not a steering wheel puller. Thats what the 3 holes are for near center for the steering wheel puller use grade 8 bolts . Now you might get the claw puller to pull the center off. If nobody up that way has a flywheel for you I have one down here in Nevada.
                  Mike aka pathfinderz1
                  Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Flywheel

Brian,

I've got a spare flywheel from both a '56 30hp and a '57 35hp. They look the same. Let me know if you need either. Email is jckempke@gmail.com. I just need the spacer casting, longer driveshaft, water tube extension, and shift rod. I think my lower units are good. I should have the parts to make one of your motors a short shaft - I have a complete 1958 Evinrude 35hp pull start. I need some garage space back.

-John

Comment

Working...
                    X