Evinrude 85

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evinrude 85

Please forgive this question, I'm a beginner. It's about an old Evinrude 85 (V-4), recently checked and serviced by a pro.

How can someone achieve any range with this motor? It drinks gas pretty quickly. I have just two plastic six gallon tanks, but I'm pretty sure that isn't going to cut it.

For example, let's say you were going on a Puget Sound trip of 30 miles or so.

1.) In a 15 foot fiberglass boat, What sort of fuel tank setup would you guys use to go some distance without worrying about having to call the Coast Guard?

2.) Would you plan to hop from one marina gas pump to the next? If so, how do you plan and organize this sort of thing? I don't know how you locate them, if you phone ahead to see if they are open, if they keep regular hours, or what....

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Don't want to rain on your parade and know there are others in the club that can give you a much better answer than I. But, my 2 cents, I'd try to find another motor. You really shouldn't need that much motor to push a 15 foot boat and those V-4s weren't known for economy. If you have the bucks to spend, I'd suggest a newer, smaller outboard. A four cycle if you plan to use it on lakes as we are seeing restrictions on some 2 cycle outboards. I run a 1986 2 cylinder, 2 cycle 50 hp. outboard on a 17 foot Skagit and get satisfactory performance. I have two 12 gallon tanks on my boat and so far, that has been enough fuel for any trips I've taken. While I'd be happy to run a late model 4 cycle outboard, I can't justify the economics even if I could afford a new motor. You need to think about how much you'll use the boat after the newness wears off and how likely gas prices will go above the $5 mark, and the price of 2 cycle oil before making those kinds of decisions.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Good information and advice, thanks.

Those Etec motors sure impress me. I'm sure that even a used one would cost thousands. What size/type motor might allow the same speed as the old Eveinrude 85, but with better fuel usage?

And does a guy find one by placing an ad, or trolling on Craigslist? I don't suppose Ebay.

Comment

The Evinrude 50hp motor 1986 2 cylinder, 2 cycle ( like Jerry said ) on a 17' Skagit that weights 1385 lbs with 24 gal's of gas can run from Edmonds to Olympia and back alongside another twin Skagit with the same motor ( 1983 in this case ) and boat model for only 18 gal's ! That's what you should look for as far as a motor. Chuck
        Attached Files
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Well, that picture looks like fun.

If you needed to buy one, what would you do to find it?

Comment

I sold one of those 85's due to the fact it sucked fuel like it was free.

I did find if I did baby it, it would do a little better, but just a little...:Runaway1:
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Mike ,
              I ran 3 cyl omcs for years until I found a V-4 will do the same job.....as LONG as you don`t go over 3K on rpms.From 3-5 K you can consume up to 10 % of the HP rating....maybe 8 gallons per hour at WOT (Wide open Throttle).
              Top speed on your rig,maybe 40-43mph.
              The 70 will need 4-5 per hour most of the time.Top speed around 37 mph....alongside Chuck on the Sound cruise ,we burned ~ 15 gallons JUST from Seattle to just past the Narrows and back.
              Now a 50 hp will do it too,just the top speed will be less and you`ll want to make sure you don`t have too high a pitch on the prop.
              Beauty of the 50 hp will be it only needs up to 4 gallons per hour while still achieving ~ 30 mph,which is what most bodies of water will let you go
              anyways.It will also let your Volvo tow with less effort and be easier to move once unhooked at home.
              A newer engine without points or electric solenoids in the lower will raise your odds of enjoying longer trips.
              Doesn`t mean the older,bigger one won`t do it too,just not as likely to be as user -friendly.
              I take a 9 gallon tank for a main,starting with a 6 on long days to see how far that goes,and rely on a 3 gallon reserve for getting to a safe haven for fuel or to tie up while another brings or fetches what is needed.
              Always have more than one line ,and tank.And switch before they suck dry,which will save carbs from getting plugged,and cyls from being ran dry.
              Get a 9G tank and switch between the 2-3 based on your day`s plan.Fill the 9 only when going a ways as it gets pretty heavy.
              The target motor will be cheaper attached to an un-wanted boat.....loose it may cost more but won`t add to your pile of work.
              Watch for a Re-power buyer who gets insulted at the dealer on trade-value....they sell to you for the same or less just to spite the dealer.Or te dealer who has new and wants the older ones gone.....Jacobson`s has sold some good ones of late,timing is key.
              E-tecs are insane on how little gas they use.....10 Miles per gallon I`ve seen from one builder.Put $5 K in CDs and buy fuel as you make $.
              TimM
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Mike, To add to Tim's information, I ran with 2 / 12 gal tanks and that 18 gal was use up when we ran from Edmonds - Olympia RT. I think Greg in the green and white boat in the picture had at one time 3 / 12 gal's tanks. With two 12's that was going along at about 26mph avg but she still could run up to 31.2 via GPS when open up. I now have a Skagit 20' and i have two tanks in it as well. One is a 28 gal ( came with it ) and the other one is 12 gal. If you have two tanks, get a multiple fuel switch as that is one great way to switch over. If you have ever been on the sound with only two 6's as i had done , you will get a couple of 12's or even more ! Leave your name at some of the shops to have them call you when a 50 Evinrude come in and call them every so often. Call in the winter months as they are looking for any kind of $$$. Tim is right about not sucking the gas down to the last drop. If you are in the Everett area go to Harbor Marine ( 10th street launch ) down on the waterfront ...not West Marine as a example, the fuel switch is about $20 less and some of the flares are $25.00 less per package and are the same brand as WM. Everything is cheaper like Interlux paints etc. I do know a person ( Dr Frankenmerc ) that i have purchase some Mercury's from if you can't find a Rude. If you are interest call me at 1-eight hundred-six three seven -91 nine 0 my business number. Chuck
                1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

This information from you guys is like gold. I'm going to copy it out and create a guideline to refer to.

Comment

Used outboards

Mike,
                    For a few months I was intermittently monitoring used outboards on Craigslist, and I ended up purchasing this 1984 Johnson 70hp for $1,250 about three months ago. Seems like that is about what it’s worth. Seller acquired it from Minnesota for jet pump conversion, but never did anything with it. My intended use is a 1972 16' Fiberform (C-list free boat) under restoration. I didn't have to race over to the seller's house. Runs fine on the stand (fingers crossed). Hope it’s not too much of a gas hog at 50 – 60% power setting. Side-mount control box, bits and pieces harnesses purchased off Ebay; approx. another $285 (all used but in good condition).

I passed on a nice 1998 50hp 2 stroke Yamaha that was $2,450, and was pretty nice, manual tilt, included side mount control box and tach. This time of year is a little tough because people are gearing up for the season, but off season is somewhat more fruitful. My limited experience anyway.

Brian
                    Attached Files
                    Brian Vickers
                    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Now, that is a pretty thing, that Johnson does look good. Your experience is encouraging.

And also interesting- you are building an airplane from aluminum, or so it seems.

Comment

I run an 1986 Mariner 50 on my 17'. I carry three 5 gallon tanks (looking into a bigger tank for this season). Up here there are no marinas to get fuel. So I always go by the 3rds principle. 1/3 to get there 1/3 to get back and 1/3 reserve.
                        My last big trip took me 20 miles up the Mackenzie River with 4 hours of trolling. I used about 10-12 gallons. I don't know what the fuel economy is or the top speed but I've had no problems as of yet. I just purchased a Bluechart capable GPS so I'll find out my speed this year. (no electronic water charts available for the NWT still using paper charts).

Comment

Sounds like that works well. A GPS would be nice to have, I'm looking into that too.

Comment

Wrong info

Mike,
                            I paid $1,500 for that 1984 OMC 70 hp engine, not $1,250. Just checked my "boat" file.

Brian
                            Brian Vickers
                            Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Brian, I have the 1983 50 horse Rude that Chuck was talking about and it will do about 30 mph but an added bonus is that will also throttle down to 1.5 mph which is great for trolling in most cases. I've had it for about 15 years and I get it tuned every two years. It has always had 175 compression on both cylinders. I have had to change two starter motors I think because they were both rebuilds. It rope starts fairly easely. I have a new starter motor in it now. I hope it last a lot longer than the rebuilds. If you try to go cheap on a lot of this stuff more than likely it will bite you in the but at the worst time.
                              Greg James

Comment

Working...
                              X