need evinrude control question answered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need evinrude control question answered

have an evinrude power pilot control unit and have to buy a new key switch.
    it is from a 70's era motor 70hp

they key switch pushes in, there is also a toggle switch just under the key switch.

is the push in key the choke or is the toggle switch the choke? need to buy the right key switch..thanks
    1963 Fiber Form Cuddy***
    1960 Hi Laker 15'**
    1957 Skagit 20 express*
    1955 uniflight 16' sportboat*
    *= previous completed projects
    **=finished and still using
    ***= in progress

If it is anything like my '86 johnson controls, the push doesn't activate the choke, but boosts the spark voltage to aid in cold starting.
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

John,
      The OMCs use a choke solenoid that takes 12 volt to squirt or to activate linkage if not a VRo type fuel pump.Some models have a "quickstart" sensor on head that advances Timing at start-up if below a certain temp.The 70`s engine won`t have it for sure.
      The older controls had a toggle for the chokes and the new keyswitch would work but will make the toggle not be needed.Run the wire to "C" on the new switch,2 nd wire may go to ground instead of the toggle.
      The toggle isn`t easy to use ,I`d use the newer one if wiring allows.Using the 2nd hand for throttle is better than toggling a choke.
      I`ll look at my factory service manual and edit if wrong or more for you....
      TimM
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thanks

had a merc 90 that you had to turn the key, hold the choke switch and lift the idle arm all at the same time when it was cold...what a pain!.

So I will order the push to choke switch.
        1963 Fiber Form Cuddy***
        1960 Hi Laker 15'**
        1957 Skagit 20 express*
        1955 uniflight 16' sportboat*
        *= previous completed projects
        **=finished and still using
        ***= in progress

Comment

Thanks for the correction, Tim!
          John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
          Past Affairs:
          '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bobbers, post: 25054
            had a merc 90 that you had to turn the key, hold the choke switch and lift the idle arm all at the same time when it was cold...what a pain!.

So I will order the push to choke switch.
            My old '65 Merc 1000 had electric choke you had to turn the key, press the choke button, and work the "fast idle" lever... I was only successful at starting the motor this way once... Thankfully it was old enough it still had everything needed to pull start it so I just used the manual choke lever on the top of the cowl.
            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Reminds me of the Red Green Show

Not sure if it was this forum or another but someone recently posted a link to the Red Green Show. Yesterday I watched The Big Outboard episode. He claimed to have built an outboard motor with a 454 cubic inch motor. He noted it was a bit difficult to rope start!
              There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Working...
              X