Counter rotating Evinrude?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter rotating Evinrude?

Did Evinrude ever make counter rotating outboards?

I was thinking a pair of 40 horse Evinrudes would be ideal for my '59 Clippercraft.
    '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Counter rotating OMC

Brian ,
    I recently sold a lower unit(a bit newer than the old ones,76-85) I took on trade and ended up buying it back as it went really well in reverse.......???
    Haven`t figured out why but I am re-sealing one just like it that does spin the correct way.....clockwise on the drive gets you clockwise on the lower propshaft.Mine goes opposite and I haven`t found a prop to make it work.
    I`m thinking it got assembled backwards........ the idea of twinsees is intriguing.OMC usually did Counter-rotating on bigger models and it seemed at the boat factory,some motors got special lowers ordered and sent back to OMC in exchange for the backwards turning unit.
    Wicked Holeshots,and the hum of multiple cyls in stereo would be choice.
    The safety of getting home above troll speeds if one engine failed is why a lot of BC coastal boaters only go with pairs.
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

That's kind of what I was thinking of. I'm looking at that Columbia, the current, the barges and some pretty big honkin' waves. Half power sounds pretty nice compared with something way less. Especially if you can troll going back in. And I got kids to think of.

Yeah, I guess that would be a trick finding a prop that's designed for backwards. I'll have to check into the effects of having both screws turning the same way.

If it's not that big a problem for a smaller 17' boat, that would be one big problem solved. Then you just have to find matching engines, dual controls and getting everything installed, tuned and aligned.

Might be worth keeping an eye out on craigs list, see what pops up.
      '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that counter rotating props were not necessary when using lower HP motors. I researched it quite a bit before deciding to put twin 35's on mine for next season.

Does anyone here have any experience running twin OMC 35'3 or 40's (non counter rotating)?
        Mark
        Silverdale, WA.
        1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Twins

A way long time ago, my father had a friend in Illwco that had a Seafair Sedan with twin 50 Mercs. We went out over the bar a number of times on that 17 footer. He had the twins because 60's motors could fail in his opinion and he wanted to get home. His were not counterrotating. i think he just tweaked the trim on the lower to accomodate the added torque. and this was before single cable steering and No Feedback systems. Unless in neutral, there was always a hand on the helm. They sounded really cool, and with a whopping 100 HP, we were FAST. If I could find a twin for my Honda, I'd be running twins!
          ChuckB
          "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Counter Rotating Outboards

The idea of counter rotating propellers on small outboards is nice, but not necessary. Steering torque is the only reason albeite dock manuvering.
            It's a minimal issue in my opinion....

My Saratogan with twin diesels does have counter rotating propellers..

McSkagit
            Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 8010
              The idea of counter rotating propellers on small outboards is nice, but not necessary. Steering torque is the only reason albeite dock manuvering.
              It's a minimal issue in my opinion....

My Saratogan with twin diesels does have counter rotating propellers..

McSkagit

We had a late model Skagit 24 with twin Johnson 100s on it. Because both motors were right handers the thing had a constand 10 or so degree lean to port. The thing could be corrected for a time by turning the wheel to starboard, but eventually to get back on course you had to turn the other way. I suggested trim tabs not know what the problem was.
              Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
              16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
              17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

OMCs

When we repowered the Glasspar Mariner in 1994 Mike was looking to get counter rotating OMCs, but they were not available in 70 HP range. We used the motor trim to correct the tilt and hydralic steering for engine torgue. It was very touchy above 30MPH.

The Hydro steering is for sale cheap.

Tom

Comment

Started backward

My Fat 60 was not idleing correctly so I cast off and slammed it into reverse. I actually went into forward so I threw it forward and it reversed in time to avoid hitting the big expensive boat in front of me at 10th street. (Ah, chalk up another reason for having insurance). What happened is it started on a backfire. I was told there is supposed to be a safety feature to keep this from happening but mine failed. So My thought is if it can accidently start backward and run. Couldn't you configure it to run backward. What would it take to get the starter to rotate the other way to start with. John

Comment

I'm no expert...but isn't this the same theory as the old "dock buster" Merc's?
                    17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
                    18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
                    19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
                    25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
                    14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
                    14' Stilleto

Comment

Working...
                    X