Mayfield Lake event July 17,18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayfield Lake event July 17,18

It's not too late to get your reservation in for a cabin or campsite at Mayfield Lake, July 17-18. For those of you who may not have been to this lake before, it is located in Lewis County in Southwestern Washington. The marina is situated on a protected cove on the South shore of the lake, and serves as one of the largest freshwater lakes in Washington. :boater1: The resort offers a wide variety of amenities, and lodgings from rustic cabins to fully-equiped condos, full RV hookups, tent camping, boat launching facilities, boat slips, and fuel. There are also two parks close to the resort if you wish to camp off-site. Feel free to come just for Saturday if you wish, however, this is a week-ender event. Boating affordfs beautiful views that include channeling through the very picturesque "grotto". Last year's fishing was fun as well as productive:fishing:. If there is enough interest shown, we may plan a fishing derby. Let us know what you think??? We are planning a potluck and possible campfire on Saturday late afternoon, so bring your favorite dish to share. Feel free to go to www.lakemayfield.com for further information, or contact Kent. Remember: This is a Members Only Event. Directions to the lake will be posted as we get closer to the event date. Here are a few photos of last years event.
    Attached Files
    Kent & Diane
    '58 Westerner

Kent, Will be coming down early Sat am on the 17th only with California Girl....oh yea and Sheila too. We are planning on staying for the potluck and possible campfire on Saturday late afternoon, and will bring a dish to share. Best,Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Campin' and Boatin'

Looking forward to it...reserved E-25.

Comment

Count us in!! We'll be there with food and fishing gear in hand. I seem to rememberScrewy1 winning the fishing derby last year?:catchfish1: Can't wait for this one. Mayfield is always a great time!!!

Comment

Fishing at Mayfield

We'll be there...and I'm wondering if some of you fisherfolks can tell us more about what you're fishing for at Mayfield, what to use, etc?

(We've got some freshwater fishing poles, but no gear...and we'd like to give it a try.)

Thanks!

- Marty and Mo
          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

mayfield lake

I made reservations today for the boat and motorhome on site 104

Comment

Mayfield Lake fishing tackle

For those of you who would like to fish at this event ,here are some tips that II hope will be of some help.
              What we are fishing for is stocked rainbow trout. Wild rainbow, cuttroat trout and tiger muskies must be released unharmed. last year Diane and I didn't catch anything but stockers but Greg James did release a small tiger muskie.

I perfer trolling rather than still fishing here but thats mostly because I don't know any preferred still fishing spots on this lake. Thanks to Greg for suggesting this general method. As kids we used to call it "spinner and worm" fishing although this has many variations.

I use the standard 6 1/2 ft trout rod and spinning reel with 6 lb line. A small gang troll has worked good here. Mini "pop gear" or Luhr Jensen's Indiana spinners rigged in sucession works well. Use about a foot of leader (4 lb) behind it followed by a #6 baithook. I put a small weight in front of the whole affair to keep it down two or three feet from the surface when trolling.Then, of course the worm (Dianes job, yeah right).

The area just outside the marina is quick and convenient and is probably just as good as anywhere. I did mark some good sized fish in the grotto area but this would be better for casting I think. First prize fish waiting here?

The slower the better when trolling with this gear, sometimes when using the 50 hp I kick it into neutral to slow it down and this many times will prompt a strike.

Be sure to bring a cooler with ice to keep the fish fresh.

Maybe others more familiar with this lake can improve upon my method but I know this will catch fish in any event.
              Attached Files
              Kent & Diane
              '58 Westerner

Comment

Judy and I will be there on Saturday with a boat and food. Looking forward to meatballs???
                1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

Kent and Diane, Susie and I will be in sight # 62 practicly right in front of the store. We will arrive on Fri. and leave Sun. mourning.
                  Greg James

Comment

Good Weather

I know it's a mistake to look at the long-range forecast, but next weekend looks great at Mayfield.

Who else is coming, besides those who have already reported in?

We'll bring the '58 Skagit 17 inboard, an unlikely fishing boat...but what the heck? (Not sure it'll troll down far enough, so we'll probably drift near the Grotto entrance and see what we can catch.)

Our plan is to head south after work on Friday, overnight at a motel in Chehalis, spend a lot of time on the water Saturday, and drive home Saturday night after the potluck.

- Marty and Mo
                    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Count us in

Cindy and I will be there for the day Saturday.

Comment

Our plans are the same as Marty's. Hotel in Chehalis Friday night, boat all day Saturday and head back Saturday. We will launch at the County Park. If I'm reading the Mayfield website correctly, their launch is not available to the Public on weekends in July and August.

Kent, do you have an idea when everyone should meet at the Mayfield marina? They also mention the slips are available to guests only. Where are you planning on having the potluck? See you Saturday. Should be a great outing.
                        Steve Kiesel
                        1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Steve, I talk to a lady at the resort and told her NWCBC would be spending the weekend there and i got a slip for Sat only ( i told her we would not be staying overnight ) for 20.00 and free parking . Ask Kent about it. Good luck. Chuck
                          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Tacoma Power Parks also has very nice free boat launch right next to their campground just a bit up the lake from the resort. If you plan to launch there you will need to do it early as it will fill up fast.
                            http://www.mytpu.org/tacomapower/par...-lake-park.htm

Comment

No use of the resort or marina if you're not staying the night!

I just got off the phone with the resort, the woman I spoke to (who seemed to be the manager) said there is no use of the marina or other facilities if you're not staying the night, not even for a fee. There is no such thing as day use. She made it very clear that you're not welcome in any way shape or form unless you're an overnight guest, period.

Comment

Working...
                              X