Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marty,

A couple of questions:

If we leave Kingston with 18 gallons is that enough to make it to Day Island Marina?

We will probably try to launch slightly farther south on Whidbey, perhaps from Mutiny Bay. Any idea how long it would take to get from there to Kingston?

Thanks

Lauryn

Comment

If all goes as planned, we will be cleared for take-off and outfitted by next Saturday morning. Hopefully launching along with Steve in Everett.
      Greg, I won't be able to make the trip. Still having electrical problems that I need to trace down if I can. For sure won't happen in time for this weekend. Sure hope you can still make it out. Looks like a great trip.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Fuel for the Trip

Lauryn -

Offhand, I think it'll take about 45 minutes to run from Mutiny Bay to Kingston, or less if the water is flat calm.

The run from Kingston to Day Island Marina generally takes about two hours, assuming our average fleet speeds and relatively calm water (like in the photos from previous Puget Sound runs). If you're burning a typical 6 gallons per hour, you should reach Day Island with some fuel to spare. (I did the entire round trip from Port Townsend to Olympia and back with 18 gallons once, but that was with a fuel-sipping Honda 50 four-stroke, running at an efficient two-thirds throttle. Older two-strokes burn considerably more fuel, of course.)

There's a fuel dock at Kingston if you want to top off your tanks there, but after that you're pretty much on your own until Day Island Marina. If you can possibly carry a bit of extra (maybe another 4-6 gallons), you almost certainly wouldn't have to worry about running dry...no matter what.

(Can you remind me of the engine on your Newman?)

- Marty
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Looks like I will join for at least a little while from Gig Harbor. The boats not finished but it floats and it runs.

Tom

Comment

Puget Sound Run

Tom -

Glad you can make a portion of the run. If you're launching in Gig Harbor, you could run up Colvos Passage to meet us in the Blake Island area...or you could just hang out near the south end of Vashon and wait for boats to appear, and then run into South Sound with the other boats.

We'll be on Channel 69, and my cell phone is (360) 301-6737 if you need an update on our position.

Speaking of which, all of us who are going should exchange cell numbers (again). Maybe we can start with yours, Tom?

- See everyone this Saturday...

- Marty
            Attached Files

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

I still have my Chicago cell 847-401-1125 . So what are you look at for an eta around Blake Island ? I will probably end up hanging out near the south end of Colvos Passage, I am still trying to get a King.

Comment

have duct tape will travel...

More shakedown testing this evening with the Bryant, want to make sure that we can gather enough steam with 55 hp to stay up with the group. I'm betting that twin Homelites are on the horizon...

Communicate via two zero 6, 240, forty three-thirty, eight. I was trying to get Ron12's new detailing service to assist in buffing before launch, but he is MIA for the last 5 days???????? Our ride may be ugly and half-a$$'d but floats just fine.

Holly, our border collie Coulee and I are looking forward to cruising with all of you. Planning on using Edmonds sling as our drop point.

News at eleven
                Attached Files

Comment

Hey All,
                  I `ve been out on the Seafair every other day for the past week around Seattle and Vashon Island.The Kings seem to be using the Westside shoreline to travel this year,not much on the other side except the group of old boats I hope to tag along with next weekend.
                  I`ll be on Channel 68 and trolling off of West Pt or maybe south at Dolphin Pt or even a wild shot at Restoration Pt.
                  Not much debris or logs so it should be an easy portion thru the middle of the Sound.
                  Now if they could stop blocking our way with burning boats on the river......
                  Serious Fire yesterday am on Harbor Island,not 50 feet from a Boat I maintained last year.....I thought diesil soot was hard to clean,try melted Vinyl and fiberglass....or a sunken 50` Wood classic,a Pacemaker I believe,"The Misty Lady",but I need to verify.......
                  They put out a foot of foam on the water to keep it from spreading.
                  Tim M
                  unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                  15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                  SeaRay 175BR
                  Hi-Laker lapline
                  14` Trailorboat

Comment

Marty,

Thanks for the fuel / travel time estimates. Yes, we can bring extra fuel and leave with about 24-25 gallons.

Our MAIN cell is 831-920-7252. Back up cell 831-238-1151. I don't know if we will have a radio by Saturday. (Our bad, we left our new hand held radio in our other boat last year when it was being repaired. Unsecured yard...high traffic area... so...that was that).

If the wind and waves continue to look as good as the forecast, we'll see you Saturday. If the weather changes and it's too risky for us we'll give you a call and let you know.

Lauryn

Comment

Puget Sound Water Conditions

We've had a long string of abnormally calm water on Puget Sound--at least up north, where we live. No high winds, no big whitecaps, just nice semi-flat sea conditions.

The forecast looks like more of the same for this weekend, so if the pattern holds we should be able to go anywhere we want without a concern.

Launching at the south end of Whidbey, or maybe over at the Langley ramp, would be far better than using the ramp at, say, Keystone. While water conditions will likely be calm Saturday morning, you could encounter some whitecaps Sunday afternoon if running up the west side of Whidbey, since we often get an afternoon breeze that blows down the Strait of Juan de Fuca, around Point Wilson and Marrowstone Island, and south between Marrowstone and Whidbey. If that happens, you'll be happy you launched at Mutiny Bay or Langley...and you avoided having to run farther north alongside Whidbey. (In a few past Puget Sound, End to End events I've enjoyed nearly flat-calm water all the way down to Olympia and back up to about Point No Point, where I abruptly ran into a northerly blowing down from the Straits and had to slog through whitecaps to get back to Marrowstone Island. This year, since I'm taking an open runabout, I've decided to launch at Kingston and avoid the possibility of wave action farther to the north. During those past runs I didn't have any trouble making it to Mutiny Bay--it was only after getting into the main channel north of Mutiny Bay that I encountered larger rollers, and had to go slow crossing over to our home base.)

Here's hoping for more of the same thing we've had for weeks--boring, placid sea conditions!

- Marty

Comment

Working...
                      X