Final Details, Puget Sound Run

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Details, Puget Sound Run

Please refer to the adjoining string of posts for complete details on who's coming, etc., but here's a synopsis of the general plan for this weekend's big Puget Sound, End to End event, in which member boats run the length of Puget Sound on Saturday, and return northbound on Sunday.

The approximate schedule for Saturday:

Northern fleet boats rendezvous off of the ferry dock at Kingston (across from Edmonds) at about 9:30 a.m. (Several members will launch in Edmonds at 8:30 a.m. or slightly before.)

10:30 a.m. -- We'll hope to reach Blake Island Marine State Park, picking up other members who have launched in the Seattle area.

Noon to 12:30 p.m. - Go through the Tacoma Narrows and meet at Day Island Marina (south of the Narrows Bridge on the Tacoma side) for a refueling and lunch stop.

3:30 p.m. - Reach Olympia; stretch our legs, and most likely head for our overnight destination, Jarrell Cove Marine State Park on Hartstine Island, north of Olympia, probably arriving at Jarrell Cove about 6 p.m. Members will either overnight on their boats, or sleep ashore in the State Park campground. Showers are available at the park, and there's a store just across the entrance to Jarrell Cove with gas, food supplies, etc.

Here's a link to Jarrell Cove Marine State Park:

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selec...Jarrell%20Cove

Sunday morning we'll most likely shove off from Jarrell Cove around 9:30 a.m., meandering through South Sound for a stop at Day Island Marina (if anyone needs to top off their tanks). Then we'll head north through the Narrows, go up Colvos Passage on the inside of Vashon Island, pass the eastern shore of Blake Island and go up the protected west side of Bainbridge Island (except, maybe, for some members who launched in Seattle and want to run straight across to their respective launch ramps from Blake Island). Those who launched at Kingston and/or Edmonds will round Bainbridge Island and motor up the Sound to their ramps, getting home by late Sunday afternoon.

Food: Most of us will bring sack lunches for Saturday and Sunday, and be prepared to cook simple dinners Saturday evening at Jarrell Cove State Park...and breakfast Sunday morning. If you need basic food items after we're underway, they'll be available at Day Island Marina, Olympia and the marina store at Jarrell Cove State Park.

Fuel: Gas docks include Edmonds, Kingston, Shileshole Marina, Elliott Bay Marina, Day Island Marina, Olympia and Jarrell Cove on Hartstine Island.

Communications: As always, we'll monitor VHF Channel 69 and try to stay in touch via cell phones.

Photos: Please remember to bring your digital cameras, and get as many running shots of other members as possible, for posting on the message board.

Buddy System: It's assumed that we'll be able to travel as a group the entire distance, cruising at 18-22 mph or thereabouts. (We really need to stay within sight of each other, making sure nobody is left behind...and as always, we'll cruise at the comfort-level speed of the slowest boat in our fleet.) Please be sure to have all required safety equipment on board--PFDs, fire extinguishers, horns or other noise-making equipment, etc.

I'll launch at Kingston around 8:30 a.m. and hang out near the ferry dock, waiting for Lauryn and Chris to come down from Whidbey Island, and other members to zip across from Edmonds, before we turn south and head for Olympia.

If any members want to join in the fun for only a segment of the trip, please feel free. If you're concerned about the length of the trip, potential for rough water, or whatever, you might consider launching in South Sound and joining us for the final stretch to Olympia...or meet with us at Jarrell Cove State Park Saturday evening. (Great places to launch in South Sound include Fair Harbor Marina near Grapeview; Allyn; and/or Joemma Beach State Park, not far from Gig Harbor.)

See you on the water this weekend!

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Marty,

Thanks for the detailed itinerary.

My other (more practical) half read the itinerary and is digging his heals in about spending 8 - 10 hours in a 15' boat with a 7 year old, a cranky old dog and of course the possibility of a cranky wife. So, he has decided that whatever it would cost in fuel to travel from Whidbey Island to Olympia would be better spent on ferry fees to get considerably closer. So much for the "end to end" concept, I guess we're just going for the "end". So, we will figure out a new launch spot and get back to you before tomorrow night. Sorry for the change of plans...

Lauryn

Comment

Originally posted by wild blue yonder, post: 13158
      Marty,

Thanks for the detailed itinerary.

My other (more practical) half read the itinerary and is digging his heals in about spending 8 - 10 hours in a 15' boat with a 7 year old, a cranky old dog and of course the possibility of a cranky wife. So, he has decided that whatever it would cost in fuel to travel from Whidbey Island to Olympia would be better spent on ferry fees to get considerably closer. So much for the "end to end" concept, I guess we're just going for the "end". So, we will figure out a new launch spot and get back to you before tomorrow night. Sorry for the change of plans...

Lauryn

Lauryn,

Not only does he sound practical, it sounds like he has a strong survival instinct!

Tim

Comment

Other Launch Options

Lauryn -

I'd like to suggest that you consider launching at Day Island Marina, Tacoma, where our flotilla will pause for refueling and maybe also lunch on Saturday. If you can get there by about 12:30 p.m. you'll certainly find us at the gas dock...and if you cruise with the group from Day Island south toward Olympia...and maybe over to Jarrell Cove Marine State Park, you'll almost certainly be in calm water.

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

total bummer...

Despite our best efforts, multiple sea-trials, many props/adjustments and cashed-in good karma capital; our "new" 1959 20' Bryant refuses to allow 55hp to motate at a clip that will keep up with the fleet for this 200 mile cruise.

Without the proper horsepower-Holly and I have decided to take a leisurely day cruise on the Sound launching in Everett, rather than holding everyone back.

The boat has proven to be a very solid, nice handling ride that really deserves 100+ hp. We hope that everyone participating has a great time.
          Attached Files

Comment

As noted in an earlier post we are still without a boat and will not make it this year. However progress is being made and we still expect to be running in the water next year. :Underconstruction1:
            Attached Files
            Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
            Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Slo-Mo....

Hey, Greg....just a thought:

If you don't mind trailering the Bryant, how about crossing the Narrows Bridge, zipping over to the Grapeview area and launching at Fair Harbor Marina, which has a good ramp, free parking, etc.

From Fair Harbor, you have a short and pleasant cruise south to Jarrell Cove Marine State Park, Hartstine Island, where our group will overnight on Saturday. You could toodle around South Sound all afternoon on Saturday, then join us for the overnighter at Jarrell Cove...and never have to get the Bryant up to a fast cruising speed.

(If you don't show, people will start speculating that there really isn't a Holly...just like there really isn't a Glastron that you swear you've been working on in secret for all these months.)

- Marty

Comment

Hey Marty,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think at this point our challenges have become more about child, dog, and camping cargo in a small boat space rather than my earlier concerns about waves and water. So, the spousal compromise now appears to be that we are leaving this afternoon and will trailer the boat to Grapeview. We will either be car camping somewhere close by and launching tomorrow am, or (time and water conditions permitting) we will launch this afternoon and stay at Jarrell Cove tonight.

Tomorrow we'll hang out around Jarell Cove until about 1:00 and then we'll check in with you guys on your cell to see if you are still on schedule to hit Olympia around 3:00. If yes, we'll hook up with you as you leave Olympia and ride back with you to Jarell Cove for the final stretch.

So, I guess what we are doing is close to what you just suggested to Greg Greg, hope to see you toodleing around the South Sound tomorrow!

Have a great journey. We'll see you tomorrow.

Lauryn

Comment

Lauryn ...

Sounds like a great plan, Lauryn...and the waters are usually pretty calm in South Sound.

See you tomorrow afternoon sometime, somewhere...

(If we go all the way to Olympia, we'll be heading for Jarrell Cove up the west side of Hartstine Island.)

- Marty

Comment

Crabs for dinner?

Forgot to mention that now that we will have wheels for most of the journey, we will be bringing two crab pots and hope to have lots to share Sat nightStirPot

Comment

at least it floats...

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 13174
                      Hey, Greg....just a thought:

If you don't mind trailering the Bryant, how about crossing the Narrows Bridge, zipping over to the Grapeview area and launching at Fair Harbor Marina, which has a good ramp, free parking, etc.

From Fair Harbor, you have a short and pleasant cruise south to Jarrell Cove Marine State Park, Hartstine Island, where our group will overnight on Saturday. You could toodle around South Sound all afternoon on Saturday, then join us for the overnighter at Jarrell Cove...and never have to get the Bryant up to a fast cruising speed.

(If you don't show, people will start speculating that there really isn't a Holly...just like there really isn't a Glastron that you swear you've been working on in secret for all these months.)
                      Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 13174
                      Thanks for the suggestion Marty, I realize that my credibility is suspect. It is killing me to miss this run after purchasing a boat specifically for this one. With the change of plans my partner-in-crime is staying out of town for another day.

I am saving the roadtrip with boat & trailer for the Chelan/Stehekin event on the 11th. There is a chance that both Holly and the Glastron will make an
                      appearance at the same time.:shocked4:

Comment

Originally posted by slo-mo, post: 13188
                        There is a chance that both Holly and the Glastron will make an
                        appearance at the same time.:shocked4:
                        Uh-Huh.

Comment

Good Weather Forecast

Looks like the weather will be great over the weekend--temps around 60+, and most importantly, LIGHT WINDS (!)

Look forward to seeing everyone on the water, starting tomorrow morning and continuing throughout the weekend as we're joined in South Sound by various members including Lauryn, Chris and Dylan, who we'll see somewhere around Hartstine Island Saturday afternoon, and Ingvar Carlson, who'll join us somewhere near Gig Harbor on Sunday during the northbound leg.

I'll be launching at Kingston around 8:30 a.m., and will wait there for Greg James to come across from Edmonds. We'll head south, picking up Tim Mattson, Ken Cook and Tom Sexton before we get to Day Island Marina...and then Lauryn and Chris in South Sound.

If you've been considering participation, it's not too late! (See the approximate schedule at the top of this string. If you have questions, buzz me on the cell phone, 360-301-6737.)

- Marty

Comment

Working...
                          X