San Juan Island Adventure, 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Juan Island Adventure, 2011

I've lead two trips into the San Juan Islands in the first week in June both years.

There appeared to be lots of interest, but in the end only one person signed up both years. That doesn't bother me, as I enjoy the Islands alone or with a group. However; it was suggested that I ask members when would be a good time for them. John Nelson said he likes the first two weeks in July.
    1. Does anyone else have a suggested time they would like to go?
    2. Do you want to stay overnight in campgrounds or do the cabin or hotel method?
    3. Where in the Islands are you interested in going?

The boats that go should be equiped with-- high sides,-- an auto bilge pump,-- anchoring gear,-- a recent tune up on the motor,-- VHF radio (handheld is okay),-- carry enough fuel for 6 hours of running,-- and of course all that other Coast Guard required stuff.

Both years there were no white caps over one foot and very little wind, I hope it will be that way in 2011 too.
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Lowell, I would be interested in going next year in about the middle of July. Personally i would rather go to places like Lopez Island or Friday Harbor and stay overnight at a resort ( on or off the boat ) like Fisherman's on Lopez that some of us did back in 2007 or 08. That's just my thinking. Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Sounds like fun anytime, dock or anchor. If my boat is ready I'll be there. Andy

Comment

20ft Offshore

Hey Lowell.
        Been working on our 20ft Offshore and as soon as I feel its dependable after testing, the Skimaster gets retired.
        The 20ft Offshore broke one year trying to make it to the San Juans so once running and tested, June or July works for us.:GoodJob:
        Attached Files
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I have wanted to go but was without a "big water" boat. Next year I should have one(right Helmar?), and would love to participate. Any time but late May - early June works for me.
          Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
          Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Originally posted by Sammamish1, post: 13856
            I have wanted to go but was without a "big water" boat. Next year I should have one(right Helmar?), and would love to participate. Any time but late May - early June works for me.
            Yup, getting closer and closer every week. :Slow1:
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

VeryBigSmile
              Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
              Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Thank you for the ideas.

I'm reading what all you Adventurous Islander Boaters are saying, keep the ideas coming before the 2011 Events Calendar comes out and maybe it will come together with more people attending. Lowell
                1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

San Juans, 2011

Lowell -

Mid- to late July always sounds great, so hopefully we can make the 2011 San Juans Adventure.

Seems like, when planning saltwater events, the first thing all of us need to look at is the tidal calendar....even before the "best-weather calendar"...to be sure there's enough water at launch ramps when folks are scheduled to depart, and also when they return Sunday afternoon/evening. It's also helpful to select a weekend where tidal range is moderate, so that participants don't have to face ominous currents in passes, dramatic tide rips or other tide-related obstacles when launching, retrieving or running through narrow channels. (You obviously know this subject inside and out, Lowell; I'm only mentioning it for others as they consider saltwater events for 2011.)

Hope to participate in the San Juans run, regardless of the date.

- Marty
                  http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

San Juans 2011

BB21 needs to visit the San Juans next summer! Any time following Marty's tide watch suggestion.
                    Bruce H. Drake
                    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
                    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
                    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
                    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

I would love to be able to join you for something like this, if I get my old boat going by then(the plan is in the water late spring). I have actually been working on it the last couple of weeks. Seeing the classics in Chelan has inspired me.

Comment

San Juan Islands

For once I'll be able to attend an event. I'm up for anytime. I like Sucia Island. #1 Fox Cove. #2 Shallow Bay.

Tim
                        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Tides, currents and boats

Good input on the tides I have not checked a tide chart yet. I will do that when we have it narrowed down to a month window. It appears the first 3 weeks in July would be a good time to go. How about mid September? Or May? May can have good weather but fewer people and the flowers are out.

Tim,
                          We haven't heard from you in awhile, it sounds like you may be interested in going, does that mean the big Skagit is in the water now? Sucia is a nice place. I like Shallow Bay too. It would be easy to beach the boats there, beach it two hours before low tide, let the tide drop, boat sits on the sandy bottom, go for a walk, then return 4 hours later, and she is floating. If you have an inboard with rudder and prop that does not come out of the water you're out of luck on this idea. No problem for you, your boat is so big you can just roam the deck for exercise and just stay anchored out or tow a Bell Boy for a dingy. Or we will come get you after you're anchored.

It sounds like there are a number of people that are working on their boats to get them ready, May is 8 months away. Work! Work! soon enough it will be time to launch.
                          1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                          1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Lowell ! Boat sitting on the beach with the tides coming and going and rocking and a rollin with waves splashing all over it? ! Not my boat ! July is a good month for the weather and tides. Chuck
                            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

San Juan Islands adventure.

Lowell,
                              Well the Skagit Saratogan isn't floating at this moment, but 'Come Monday' (sounds like a Jimmy Buffet song) it will be floating (with Gods grace). I will likely be towing two or maybe three dinghys. Looking for a Whitehall row boat.

The keel on the Saratogan is quite deep (21 inches at the props). According to the surveyor, the keel is deeper than the props. I could careen the Saratogan on a sand or mud beach and probably not hurt anything.....

Careened my Glasply on the beach at Fox Cove many times to the horror of many!

Can't wait to get the 31 out on the water... What a project...

Thanks for your input.

Tim
                              Attached Files
                              Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
                              X