Willamette River / Portland cruise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delaying Willamette River Run....

I'm 100% for a delay until July, since I still don't have a running trailer boat at the moment. (I'm scrambling to get the '58 Bell Boy 16' express water-ready, but there's no realistic way to make it by May 21, since the boat still needs a steering console, rebuild of the windshield, cockpit floor, forepeak berth, seats, paint, wiring, controls and...oh, yes...an engine. I'll have it in the water by June, but a delay in the Willamette event would be great.)

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Fishing boats on Wilamette R

Don't worry about having to thread through the fishers. Most of the St John's boats will be off and downriver of the launch area. There will be scattered boats all the way to Oregon City. Most will be at the Mouth of the Clackamas River and on up toward the Falls from there. That is the only area that is heavy but you have or will want to slow down as you cruise under the cliffs and historic bridge to the falls. Current is quite swift at that point. (5 kts). If you have seen any of the"Leverage" TV Series filmed in Portland there is a scene as the crew leaves a bank robbery by a tunnel and comes out looking down river under the Historic Bridge. the cliffs have always been a haven for fishermen along Highway 99E. will post some pics later.

Oregon City Falls - first "Long distance Electric Power transmission in US" from the power house there. Locks for boats to go to the upper river.

You will all enjoy the trip. about 25 miles oneway.

Comment

July as well as i 'am not to excided to drive 3 or 4 hours to PDX from Lynnwood and then try to find a parking place and on top of that dodge fishing boats once on the river. Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Change is good...

Originally posted by BruceDrake, post: 17239
          I would be much happier if this was mid-July. It ended out May 21st since that was just the last available date when things were scheduled. I personally don't relish launching the pristine Bell Boy 21 amid the frenzy of fishing season and maneuvering around anchored fishing boats all the way from downtown to Oregon City is not very tranquil. :catchfish1:

On a personal note I am likely to be spending the next three weeks moving out of one house and into another that we are almost finished remodeling so spare time up to the 21st is almost non-existent for me. Mid-July we could have a party at our house. Then again, the 21st would make a great date to recruit people to carry furniture.
          Sounds great to me, it would be cool to have a BBQ @ Bruce's new hangout after exploring the headwaters of Portland. With the positive response of those who usually make these things, I have blocked out July 16-17 as the new date for this cruise.:cool1:

Have fun getting settled in Bruce, am looking forward to checking out your sweet BB cruiser...Do you have any suggestions for lodging nearby?

Comment

OK, so it sounds like we're approaching a consensus that the Portland event be postponed. Let's hear suggestions for something else to do on the 21st ...

Comment

Here's an idea!

McSon suggested a cruise on the Columbia, using Beacon Rock State Park as a base. Beacon Rock is 35 miles east of Vancouver on the Washington side of the river, still close enough for our southern members to join us. The photos of the area are absolutely gorgeous, and it looks like a pretty nice place to cruise.

The park features a launch, 916' dock, overnight moorage and camping and there are plenty of reasonably priced lodging options nearby for those that prefer not to camp. I spoke at length with a very nice ranger in the park office and learned that the river is not too high or fast, fishing season is closed there and this seems like a really good time to go. The launch, dock and other facilities sound great.

One thing that sounds like fun is to go upriver through the Bonneville Dam locks, and the town of Cascade Locks has a large marine park with free transient moorage, fuel, (NOT free) and other necessities. Looks like lots of things to see and do or just enjoy being on the river and taking in the scenery. The more I look at the area the better this sounds!

Here's a link to the park's web site with more info:

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selec...ck&subject=all

Has anyone been there or cruised this area? Brendan and I are going to head down Friday and spend two nights, anyone else up for it?

Tim

Comment

Boating + Camping = :cool1:

Comment

July sounds good. I've been in scramble mode the last couple weeks anyway getting my latest aquisition, a '65 Evinrude SkiTwin, up and running. With any luck today we'll be taking it out for a shakedown cruise next week.

That Beacon Rock State Park idea sounds pretty cool. We haven't made it up there yet, but we have been to the next big island down river, Reed Island, a couple times. This place is our favorite so far from our limited cruising. It has primative camping spots and very few paople. But it's probably a little too primative for a social function.

Looking forward to seeing y'all this summer.
                  '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

I have been to the top of Beacon Rock and the view of that area is fantastic. I have never cruised the area but I'm sure it would be great. Susie and I will be out of town for awhile so I probably won't be cruisin until the middle of July. Have a great time whatever you all decide to do.
                    Greg James

Comment

Originally posted by Brian, post: 17275
                      July sounds good. I've been in scramble mode the last couple weeks anyway getting my latest aquisition, a '65 Evinrude SkiTwin, up and running. With any luck today we'll be taking it out for a shakedown cruise next week.

That Beacon Rock State Park idea sounds pretty cool. We haven't made it up there yet, but we have been to the next big island down river, Reed Island, a couple times. This place is our favorite so far from our limited cruising. It has primative camping spots and very few paople. But it's probably a little too primative for a social function.

Looking forward to seeing y'all this summer.
                      Brian, you should come up for the day and cruise with us!

Comment

Let me know if we are changing the calendar of events.

Personally, I won't be able to make that trip but want to go up and view the falls in Oregon City...
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen
                        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Portland trip.

Helmar,
                          a better trip is to launch at oregon City and trip up 1 mile to the falls and then down to Portland (25 miles +) and back. fishermen are quiet. they do not run around and make wakes. After the season on weekends the boarders and others just chop up the water. at least once I have been able to only get as far down as the Sellwood bridge in the g3 before giving up the pounding from chop. Here are some pictures from one of those trips (with out the other boats). Maybe I will do this on the 21st.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hey Tim,

If you're are going to be cruising the the Columbia around Beacon Rock next Saturday, there's a real good chance we'll make it. Got that Evinrude up and running today and I'm hoping to get it hung on the transom, hooked up and ready for shakedown by Saturday.

Will be in touch, Brian
                            Attached Files
                            '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

Great!

Brian,
                              That would be great if you could make it, it would be nice to meet you. I'll send you an email with my contact info so we can connect on Sat morning.

I love your cheering section in the background of the first photo! Someone is obviously excited about getting on the water! :BigHappy1:

Tim

Comment

That 'cheering' goes on in my head each and every time one of my engines actually starts!!:GoTeam1::GoodJob:
                                Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Working...
                                X