Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tame those ponies

Greg,
    With all that horsepower how can the rest of us keep up with you? What are you putting the 120's on? Remember whatever you harness onto the stern those horses need to stay strong until the end. They have to last until you put them back on the trailer and head for home.
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell, post: 16062
      Greg,
      Remember whatever you harness onto the stern those horses need to stay strong until the end. They have to last until you put them back on the trailer and head for home.
      10-4 Lowell, I can only use one at a time, the other will power another project. Reliability is the main reason behind putting a modern jet/motor in a classic.Screwy1

See you there...:boater1:

Comment

Greg,

I can't wait to see what you are putting the jet drive into. Got any pictures posted anywhere so interested folks can see what you are doing?
        1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
        1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Remodel?

Lowell, It's not just a paint job. I have spent app. 80 hrs. preping and 6hrs. painting. I sanded down as far as I could without getting into the fiberglass after removing all the hardrare including the windshield. The windshield frame is the double fiberglass type and the hatch has been changed because the old one didn't have a rib accrose the middle and they both were in really bad shape so they both had to be restored. I got them both from Chuck C. I also found a engine cowling which was structuallly better than the one I had and I have restored it also. The boat is up at associated glass getting new plexyglass put in the windshield frame. Most of the canvas has to be altered or replaced to fit the different windshield frame. I changed the frame because I like the more original look of the fiberglass frame. Some of the hardware has been alliminated or changed. Most of the boat got two coats of primer and three coats of Interlux brightside. I still have some touch up to do but I am waiting for the weather to get better for that and after that I can but all the hardware back on and put the cockpit back together and paint the bottom, spashwell and floor. I have had this boat for about 15 years and I have wanted to do this ever since I've owned it. I have taken pictures and I will post them after I get everything done.
          Greg James

Comment

Can't wait to see GregJ's "new" Skagit running the Snohomish.

Originally posted by Lowell, post: 16089
            I can't wait to see what you are putting the jet drive into. Got any pictures posted anywhere so interested folks can see what you are doing?
            I borrowed ChuckC's camera for this great shot of the GlastronJet.:TakePicture1:
            Attached Files

Comment

GregL, Man ! That camera really did do one very striking photo !!! Want to buy it ?..............$50 big one's to you. Here's my new replacement with a few photo's. ChuckC
              Attached Files
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

paparazzi...

Turns out that you had it turned to the Playboy - Gauze and Vaseline setting, Chuck! With a little trial and error, it is now using the Motor Trend - Grainy Spy Photo from behind a Tree option... it actually takes a decent photo. How 'bout $25? :TakePicture1:

p.s. Love your Craigslist Ad - Tarp Photo security system, nobody would ever suspect that a looker was hiding underneath. :Police1:
                Attached Files

Comment

That is one very fine looking boat ! Being the rain will not more or less be around today, i'am going to take Skagit out of the shelter and run the motor on the trailer to put a little gas thru her. That cover is not pretty,but it does it's job when it rains for about 4 days or so and the condensation starts to build up on the inside of the shelter tarp and pipes. Chuck
                  1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                  1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

The hard working Gregs:

Greg L,
                    Your boat looks great, very much in the future type look to it. I like it, can't wait to see it.
                    Greg J,
                    I thought your boat was nice last summer, with all that work you are doing I'm sure it will look like a brand new classic boat right off the show room floor.
                    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

March 27th is soon.

I can feel the Spring---- it's in the air, warm rain, rainbows, filtered sun, flowers budding out. It's time to get out on the water and enjoy the Snohomish River delta and sloughs, let me know if you're interested in joining me. Lowell
                      1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                      1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Lowell, I'm still planning on being there. Here's hoping for a decent day weather wise. See you on the 27th.
                        Steve Kiesel
                        1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Snohomish River run

Lowell, What the typical depth in the river? Entering from the Sound, any low bridges to pass under? Do those bridges open?

I haven't measured the height of the Saratogan off the water, but I'm guessing 7 feet. Draft 3 feet.

Thanks for the info.....

Tim
                          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

No bridges, depth unknown

Tim,
                            The bridges that we will go under are 30 to 40 feet above the water at highest mean tide. But my depth sounder on Rebel and my sea kayak are a cheap pair of sunglasses, so I,m not sure of the depth. The chart shows 6 feet depth about 3 miles up the river. We will be exploring areas that are lower down towards the bay that have large coastal 75 foot frieight boats tied to the banks, floating logs and sinking docks. It is an interesting sight to see for sure but I wouldn't take a deep draft boat higher up the river more than 3 miles. The Town of Snohomish is about 10 miles up and the lower sloughs are within 3 miles of the bay.
                            I can't believe you would bring your boat down for this trip but if you are considering it, you can tie it up to the the docks on the east side of Jetty Island just off of the 10th street boat ramp for free. It is a beautiful spot, you can walk to the other side of the Island where there is a wonder sandy beach on the west side, this gets you away from downtown Everett.
                            The 10th street boat launch is within 1/8th mile of Jetty Island, in fact you can watch us launch in style while you enjoy your morning coffee. (no laughter allowed, just thumbs up)
                            Another idea is drive down and come aboard my boat or anyone elses that maybe coming too.

Steve,
                            I'll be looking for you, will this be your last trip with us before you leave towards the East?
                            1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                            1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

water...draft and well...hell......just go for it.....

Well, Lowell, as an ex salvage contractor, I might just go for it....about the worst I can do is go aground.....

Thanks for the info......I'll let you know if I'm coming...

Tim
                              Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Lowell, I plan on attending the Lake Union outing on April 16th. Plus the Portland cruise in May, this one is a long shot. I need to tow the boat down sometime. So I'm thinking attend the outing, then continue onto Central Oregon from there.
                                Steve Kiesel
                                1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Working...
                                X