Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Juan Island Adventure, 2011 (update)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Juan Island Adventure, 2011 (update)

San Juan Islands Adventure, 2011 (update)

The trip is still on for June 17th and 18th, the plan is too launch at Cap Santa Marina in Anacortes, Saturday morning-- be in the water by 10:00 AM. It is a sling launch which cost 1.50 per foot of hull length and 5 dollars a night to park your truck and trailer in their lot.

We will visit some of the more beautiful rugged northern Islands in the San Juans. I would like to get on the dock at Sucia Island and or Matia Island and spend the night there. If the docks are full then we can anchor out in Shallow Bay on Sucia and use an anchor buddy with a stern tie to shore, or anchor in deep water and dingy to shore. I have a inflatable cheap 3 man raft someone can use. One beach is fine sand the other small pebbles--- should be fairly hull friendly. There are nice covered picnic shelters and camp spots.

Then on Sunday we will cruise into Friday Harbor where we can get gas for the return trip and buy lunch and enjoy the Town. If the weather is too wet for camping then I would like to stay in Friday Harbor and sleep on board. If everyone wants to spend the night in Friday Harbor, I’m in! It can be very interesting down at the docks, lots of people, dogs and boats. The launch closes at 5 pm, so we need to be back in Anacortes by 4 PM on Sunday.

If you are interested in going let me know, you need to have a chart, anchoring gear, and be able to maintain 18 knots in smooth conditions and carry enough fuel for 40 miles or 4 hours of running.
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

.hey Lowell;
    SMOOTH conditions!? When was that time?
    I plan on going and staying on the whale. Friday Harbor might be interesting...
    ChuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

fer shure...kinda

Hey Lowell, I am definitely interested in putting our '60 Glastron Bayflite "Cruisette-18" through it's paces, and trying out the original bunk layout. Will have a better feel for likelihood of being there, after the Blake Island event.

The Johnson has just been replaced with a sweet '83 Merc 90.
      Attached Files

Comment

Lowell:
        Are we still on???
        I'm planning on launching at Wa Park as I'm on a budget, gas is expensive, and it will cost almost the same to just cruise up from Everett as to drive , launch, park and go.
        ChuckB
        "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Becky and I are up for Saturday. Hope there is a plan. We'll launch at Lummi Island and go first in to Matia (where the dock is pretty short) and, if we don't find you there, we'll go on to Sucia. Were there earlier this year and tied to dock and State Parks guy came down and collected $10 for our hour-long visit to the island. I'm thinking of towing the dingy over and anchoring out. I'll share our dinghy if we find you. Will monitor Channel 69. Sunday is Father's Day and Becky still has one so we'll sleep in our own bed at home Saturday night and visit him and maybe see some of my boys on Sunday. Plenty of sunshine coming our way. Zippity doo dah, zippidy day!
          There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Jerry,
            Why don't you zip on down the strait to Barnes, Clark,The Sisters or even as far as Sinclair Is, and yes I'll be monitoring 16/69.
            Especially if the weather is good!
            ChuckB

Comment

We have a granddaughter/ grandson combo birthday party Sat. Sunday is Fathers day,otherwise i might have been there. Have fun ! Like Jerry said, Zippity doo dah, zippidy day! Chuck
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Yes, the trip is still on.

Need to decide where we will be spending the night, weather we are in the Islands or in Friday Harbor, I will be taking extra food, water and a sleeping bag. Chuck are you still interested in staying in Friday Harbor? It will cost more to be in town but the food is better.

Jerry--hope you and Becky can meet up with us, good plan, I like the dock on Matia and the hike to the south beaches. I will have my VHF on but I can't hear it over the outboard motor. I will try to contact you and shut the motor off every now and then. I will contact you by using your boat name. My boat is Rebel.
                1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Weather channel shows sun every day this week except Saturday. Good thing the weatherman so seldom gets it right! Know what you mean about hearing the VHF with the outboard motor screaming. I'll probably take my cell phone (seldom remember I have one). Number is 224-2065. Guess I'd better get out the book and see if I can make it ring and buzz and stuff like that. Think I have a headset for that somewhere. Wonder why they don't have a jack for those on the VHF? Okay. I'll make a note of Rebel.

Comment

Lowell; I'm on a budget as payday isn't until Monday. Anchoring out in Shallow bay or at the dock at Sucia is fine, Friday Harbor if the weather turns, I have a stove and a coffee maker...
                    ChuckB

Comment

Fathers Day Special Early Return.

I didn't realize that this Sunday was Fathers Day and guess what? I'm one of those too. If it makes a difference we could return earlier on Sunday morning, say back at the launch at 10 am.
                      1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                      1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

John Nelson

Hey Lowell
                        I just talked to John Nelson this weekend and he is going on the San Juan event.
                        Fact is, he would go anyway even if it was canceled irate:

When he calls, I will give him the time that your supposed to be IN the water and ready.

On another note:
                        We were working on my 20foot offshore in hopes that she would be ready for this event, but, just a tad too early. I need more time to work out any possible issues. SO, hope to see you at the Vets event with it.
                        It would be about time as I don't think many remember this boat.
                        It Used to be called Purple Haze (Greg James named it) and we are thinking about taking it Back to Purple just for grins.
                        Attached Files
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen
                        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Joe, She looks great in either color. But i don't think very many have seen her in the new color. Best,Chuck
                          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Starting time

Joe,
                            The starting time is 10 am leaving from the Cap Sante Marina in downtown Anacortes, this location is differant then last year. If John misses us for some reason the route is differant then last year too. We will go north on the east side of Guemes Is. then towards Lummi and onto Clark Island. It is too bad your boat is not ready, maybe I will see it this summer sometime?
                            1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                            1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Coming up the east side of Clark? Maybe we'll wait for you there.
                              Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X