June 6th, extended this weekend?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 6th, extended this weekend?

I plan on attending the launch of Tim Jones' Skagit, I will be launching at Anacortes Saturday morning and boating over to Friday Harbor.

Is anyone interested in staying Saturday night out in the Islands and returning on Sunday afternoon about four pm?

Several ideas is going to Jones Island, Sucia maybe Clark Island if the weather is calm. The other idea is staying at a resort, Deer Harbor, Fishermans Bay or Roche Harbor, each location has it advantages.

Determining location and destination is dependant on weather , forcasted weather and time remaining after the event on Saturday. If the event is running late on Saturday we could just stay the night in Friday Harbor and cruise thru the Islands on Sunday.
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

June 6-7 Weekend Cruise

Lowell -

Sounds like a great idea...doing a bit of cruising after the launch party. As always, and as you said, exact options will depend on weather and water conditions.

I'll hope to have my 1955 Bell Boy 18 express in the water moments before the June 6 Saratogan launch. It won't be finished, by any stretch, but it should be functional...so I'll hope to run up to the San Juans directly from the Port Townsend area. (If the Strait of Juan de Fuca is nasty, I'll take the ferry across to Whidbey and launch in Anacortes.)

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

How long is the run from Anacortes to Friday Harbor?

Comment

Anacortes to Friday Harbor

Tim -

Looks like roughly 17 nautical miles, so maybe a one-hour run in decent conditions. If you run into rough water, it's usually during the crossing of Rosario Strait from the Anacortes ramp; once you're through Thatcher Pass (between Blakely Island and Decatur Island) the 'big water' is left behind and you most often have a calm run to Friday Harbor...or elsewhere within the San Juans group.

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

The run across Rosario Strait from Washington Park isn't bad unless the wind is 20 or above from the south or SE. Once you are inside Thatcher Pass, the rest of the trip is calm. Possible to run into some tide rips on the SE corner of Shaw, but usually relatively calm there. Figure one hour at 20 knots, one hour and 15 if you need to slow down for chop. The tide will be flooding which is better than an ebb for water conditions in Rosario.

McSkagit
          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Lowell,
            Sounds like a fun adventure. I'm planning on it at this point. All will depend on family activities during that time but so far it looks good.
            Kent & Diane
            '58 Westerner

Comment

It does sound like a fun adventure. Now that we have a little ...er..unexpected time off, we would love to join you. We would be launching out of Anacortes with a 16' runabout that has a Johnson Super Sea Horse 35. Would we be able to keep up with you big guys?

Overnight options for us would be limited to camping / primitive camping in one of the marine parks.

Does any of the above sound like it would fit in with the group plan?

Comment

Camping is a possibility

Don't worry you will be able to keep up. I have a 40 hp motor pushing a 16 foot cutty cabin boat, cursing speed is about 18 knots. There are lots of state parks to stay at in the area, many of them have docks you can tie too, but the space is usually taken by 1400 hrs. So there are several options 1. you can ask to raft to another boat that is tied to the dock or to another classic boat that is anchored. 2. get a buoy or anchor out and dingy in.
                If we are going to a park you should have good anchoring gear with plenty of rode. 150 feet min.
                Where we go will be dependent on the weather and the expected forecast and the daylight remaining after the big event. Stay tuned to the site I'm sure this will all be figured out by the end of May.

Does anyone who plans on extending the outing to sunday have a special park they want to visit? One of my favorite parks is Jones Island, it's 6 miles north of Friday Harbor, it has a dock, buoys and several areas for anchoring,
                and a lots of space for camping. If the weather is fine nothing beats Sucia Island.
                Lowell
                1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

San Juans, June 6 Weekend

We'll be cruising to Friday Harbor directly from here (Mystery Bay, Marrowstone Island, near Port Townsend). I'm planning to make the run on Friday, June 5, to be sure we're in Friday Harbor for the festivities when Tim launches the 31' Saratogan.

After the launch party, Tim's karaoke performance and other festivities, we'll be up for a mini-cruise in the islands before heading home.

- Marty and Mo

Comment

Working...
                  X