San Juan Islands for a day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Juan Islands for a day?

It doesn't appear to be a lot of interest in going overnight. Anyone interested and will commit (if the weather is good) going out for a day? Starting June 30th at 1300 hrs from Washington Park and returning at 1800 hrs. After the day trippers are dropped off at Washington Park in the evening the overnighters can continue to an anchorage.

I'm assuming that after the day trippers leave I will have to stop somewhere to fuel up to continue our adventure. As I only carry 20 gallons.

If Greg wants to be on Sucia he can just stay there and I'll make the run back south with the day trippers and return back to Sucia that evening.

Lowell
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Lowell, So you would leave Anacortes Saturday the 30th @ 1300 and return back that day with some people maybe @ 1800 hours. Then come back to Anacortes Sunday July 1st ? Are you planning to go to Friday Harbor as you mention on a earlier posting ? Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I'll be there if there isn't too much wind. My boat is only 15' and a little small for those waters. There's no place I'd rather be though.

Comment

Friday Harbor-- well maybe

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 22549
        Lowell, So you would leave Anacortes Saturday the 30th @ 1300 and return back that day with some people maybe @ 1800 hours. Then come back to Anacortes Sunday July 1st ? Are you planning to go to Friday Harbor as you mention on a earlier posting ? Chuck
        The plan was to go to the outer islands spend Saturday night on Sucia and then cruise past Friday Harbor on Sunday, stopping for lunch and fuel.

The short one day version is going to some of the outer Islands, and return back that evening around 1800 hrs. The people who want to stay overnight will head out then to an anchorage or some Marina somewhere-- unsure. Friday Harbor may work but Greg wanted to stay on Sucia.
        1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
        1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Still planning to hook up with some of the gang with Rosario, weather permitting. Know the route and timing is going to be difficult to set up but would like latest available info before you guys head out. Also, a cell number would help. Yesterday we ran to Jones Island State Park. Only one boat on the dock when we pulled in at 10:30 a.m. Haven't been able to find dock space there for some years. It is, perhaps, the prettiest of the San Juan islands and has good camping spaces, fire rings, picnic tables and water. We headed home at 4:30 p.m. Takes us 1.25 hours from our place on Lummi via Peavine Pass on flat water at 24 mph.
          Attached Files
          There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Lowell, i do realized you have done the San Juans quite a few times and you know a lot about the islands.

My suggestion would be to go to Sucia for Saturday night and then on Sunday AM take off and stop at some of the other islands before lunch in Friday Harbor and after that cruise within the islands ( ferry route area ) pass Lopez,Orcas and go back thru Peavine Pass at the northend of Blakley island ( like Rick Love and Jerry does ) and then down the eastside of Orcas Island and cut over to Cypress Island ( Cypress /Guemes island ) because of the winds that time of day and on to Washington Park @Anacortes.

This is just my thinking, I personally don't like going across Rosario straits into Thatcher Pass which i know in the afternoon can really get rough. "been there done that" in a 24' and 32' boat and was not fun. In the Rosario boat back in 2006-7 , yes it was somewhat rough coming back but manageable coming down Cypress /Guemes island. Chuck

Comment

Lowell, I really don't care were we stay, wherever.
              Greg James

Comment

Point well taken, Chuck

I don't care for Thatcher Pass either, it is a boring route. I usually take in consideration the water current, speed and direction by using curent tables, predicted wind speed and direction and weather forecast. Then using my experience and the type of boat I'm in, I just might go through Cattle Pass and along the south shore of Lopez Island, or through Lopez Pass. I've also used the other two passes to the north. Generally I don't care much about boating near ferry lanes.
                1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Weekend appears to be a wet one

The forecast calls for a 60% chance of rain. I'm cancelling the trip unless the forecast should change to 50% or less for both Sat. and Sunday. I really want to go and spend the night out in the Islands. Darn!!
                  1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                  1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Lowell, The weather is not looking to bad so Chuck C and I are planning on leaving here at around 11a. We could meet you at the Smokey Point rest stop at 11: 30 0r 11:45. If we get there and the weather and water are real crapy we can always turn around but it would have to be real crapy for us to do that. Let me know what you think of our plan and if you are still interested.:cool1:
                    Greg James

Comment

Hey Greg, are you and Chuck C. doing the SJ Islands today or Saturday? It is beautiful on Lummi Island today. 70 degrees at 3 p.m. and totally sunny. S. wind blowing probably 10 mph. I bit rougher than we take Rosario out in. However, if you were to come up to E. side of Lummi Island, you'd be welcome at our Scenic Estates dock and we'd have the coffee on for you. We are pretty easy to find as this is the only dock on the island except for the ferry dock. It's a short half mile north of the quarry. (I'm talking Sat. or Sun. here as if you are out there now, you aren't apt to get this until you get home.)
                      Jerry

Comment

Jerry, We are planning on doing the SJ thing on Sat. and Sun.. We will launch at Washington Park Anacortes if the weather is exceptable. We will make that decision once we get to the launch. Hope to see you out there. I will try to call you and Rick Love to let you know what we end up doing. We are tying to stay positive. Thanks for the Imformation and the invite.
                        Greg James

Comment

Jerry, We have been watching the weather today and hope it will look like today conditions all over the Islands tomorrow.Got the Ford hooked up and everything is in the Skagit for tomorrow. Even if it is raining at Mill Creek we will go to Anacortes anyway to check it out. The only thing is i hate to get Bainbridge all wet and dirty on the freeway.

http://www.islandcam.com/
                          Attached Files

Comment

Chuck, Greg, weather looks kind of wet for Saturday Nat. Weather Service say 100% chance of precip but Sunday is only 30% chance of precip. Tide chart looks like around noon tomorrow and Sunday before I can launch at our ramp. If you haven't been in to Vendovi, it has a very protected harbor and something like 50 feet of real nice dock. Breakwater and dock are on NW end. Free but, unfortunately, no overnight there. Our dock also is free and overnight is fine (tell the mgr. you are our guests) but not well protected. Appreciate a call (360) 758-7129 with plans. Tim, if you are planning to come up this weekend, let me know and I'll keep Rosario on the trailer.

Comment

I'm still on Guemes Island and can see Washington Park in the distance. If anyone wants to call me for a sea state report before driving up here, my number is in the list. I won't be able to participate. My battery (new) hasn't been charging enough to crank the motor so I've been rope starting every time and it's getting old. That's rope wrapped around flywheel, not recoil. I did go to Vendovi twice in the last few days and there was no one else there either time. The Fluke family had plans to subdivide about ten years ago. I'm glad that never happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X