Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Apr 13, 2014] Snohomish River Sloughs and Delta (Everett, WA)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Apr 13, 2014] Snohomish River Sloughs and Delta (Everett, WA)

This is the 4th and last time this year I'm rescheduling this event. The weather is predicted to be sunny so for all you die hards who hate the rain, now is the time to soak up the sun. Please notice the trip is this Sunday the 13th of April.

Will launch at Rotary Park in Everett, very close to the 41 Street exit off of I-5. The trip is rural past farms and interesting braided river channels. There are old marinas, with older ocean going fish boats and tugs tied to pillings and a few house boats to make you wonder if you are still in Washington. The only problems to encounter are some shallow areas and a few deadheads which I've never met yet. There are lots of birdlife and sad eyed seals.

The route will go down Ebey Slough to Marysville where there is a city dock with restrooms, rest here and take a break. Then will turn around and head back south towards Steamboat Slough to Otter Island then into the main river channel of Snohomish River back to the launch. It time allows and the tide is still high, we can go upriver to the town of Snohomish. At Snohomish there is no City dock, only a sandy bank to pull up on 1 mile out of town.

Bring plenty of fuel and lunch because the total length of trip is around 40 miles, will need to travel 15 to 20 mph. There will be time to stop and drift and or pull up on grassy banks if you want.

Trip will only be done if there is no rain. We will leave the launch area by 2pm as the trip should only be done at the high tide cycle. I suggest you get to the launch ramp at 1 to 130 pm. I will be there to great you. Don't be late I would hate to have you miss this.

Everyone is welcome on NWCBC cruises regardless of whether or not you are a supporting member.

Lowell
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Lowell, I'll try to make this one. This is one of my favorites mainly because of the slow pace and the scenery. You can spend all day in the slew. There are some monster sturgen in the slew. People have told me that every once in a while one will surface and roll. I have spent a fair amount of time in the slew but I have never seen one. Maybe I'll get lucky this time.
    Greg James

Comment

I believe the system set your event times a little off... I assume you are leaving at 9 am not pm.

I would like to make this event as it has been several years since I've been on the Snohomish, but as always it is dependent on baby Declan and copilot situations... Would the proposed travel plan involve significant salt water time or would we be staying in the mostly fresh water slews?
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Brian,
        You are correct it starts at 9 am. Your question about saltwater or fresh. The launch is about 6 miles up river from Port Gardner Bay, then as you travel north towards Marysville it becomes brackish. We will then travel back up river towards the City of Snohomish which should be about 90% fresh. Will be in the fresh water zone for a good two hours before putting the boats on the trailers. So start in fresh water go to brackish water then return to fresh. I still flush out my engine when I return home.

Greg,
        You are a fisherman maybe you can hook one and bring it up so everyone can see it too. I've never seen them roll either.
        1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
        1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

March 9th is getting close. It is hard to believe now, that when the dawn breaks at 630 am there will be patches of naked blue sky mixed in with high white lacey clouds. At launch time the sun will be on the river warming the few classic boat captains that believed this is possible.

This was the dream I had a few nights ago, do you share the same dream that this could be possible? Will you be counted as one of the few this year that took a chance on the belief the sun may shine its warmth on us?
          1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
          1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Hey Lowell. I guess its time I drag mine out and at least get her ready for the season.
            I really need to get her in the water this year so getting the fever down here too. (Eugene)
            I have always wanted to do that event but not sure I am going to be able to haul up.

Got to be some lurkers that would like to do that. I know Ingvar and Richard Amberson would most likely make that one.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I'm game, but I'm as far away as you Joe. All the lakes are still frozen over here, maybe in a month or so I can get out.

Lowell, I've gone on several of those river trips on the Snohomish, and the weather always seemed to come through. Do the sun dance the night before. Have a good one.
              Steve Kiesel
              1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

I believe the sun was shinning for three days this week--- not bad. For you folks that are still dealing with snow and ice, not sure what to say. Maybe come north a few miles and turn west towrds the Japanese curent. I do hope next week is just as nice.

Thinking of Steve and Helmar down south, I bet there are some great places to explore, are either of you thinking of leading a trip? I remember a trip on the Columbia River which I enjoyed and would like to see more of the area. Just an idea.
                Lowell
                1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Your right Lowell, lots of lakes down here to explore, but that's mostly with the Kayaks. Some lakes, like Waldo Lake, do not allow motors. Most of the lakes that do allow motors, the speed limit is 10mph. There are three lakes close by that do allow full throttle boating.

I'm about 100 miles north of the CA border, so the Columbia is still quite a distance. I missed that trip years back, sounds like fun, lots of places to explore there for sure.

I have no current plans for leading a trip. But I will make an open invitation to anyone that wants to come down for some high Cascade Mountain boating. There are a couple lakes a little north of here, Cove Pallisades (aka Lake Billy Chinook) and Prineville Resevoir that are still on my bucket list. Maybe this spring/summer. I'm in La Pine, which is about 30 miles south of Bend.

Hope you all have nice sunny day for the Snohomish River outing. Happy boating to all.
                  Steve Kiesel

Comment

I hope to put together a event down this way. I was thinking the Columbia and Willamette, maybe up to Oregon City Falls.
                    I am in Eugene (little more than 2 hours down from the Washington border) and right next to a pretty good size man made lake called Fern Ridge. Lots of stumps, lots of sail boats and lots of shallow water so not too sure about Fern Ridge.
                    I see there are a bunch of lakes down on the Oregon Coast, some called 10 mile and some by Florence too. Just haven't had the opportunity to check them out.
                    Beings that I am running alone, I need to put on a kicker just to be safe.
                    I have the kicker motor and kicker bracket, just need to get it on.....Next project
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Yes both of you live a long ways South. If either of you decide to do the Columbia River I would like to go. July I'm booked already so that month is out for me.

As for kickers it gives you lots of freedom and the good feeling for going the distance without anyone around. Myself I carry a little 4 hp motor I can just slid it onto the transom. It is stored under a seat in the cockpit. Never had to use it yet but I have one of those motors that have electoric fuel and spark control. Motor is a young 1989 model.

This Friday the sun was out all day and got up to maybe 53 degrees. Ducks are laying eges and tree frogs are singing at night. This morning heavy overcast and 42 degrees. Give the spring another week and it's boating season, yea------------
                      1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                      1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Joe, I'm just over the hill from you. Let me know if you want to team up on an outing sometime. Had the Seafair up to Odell Lake last fall. No one else on the water, I didn't turn the motor off unless I was within paddling distance of the doc. Guess I need to start carrying the kicker along. I've had so many problems with that Johnson, that I just don't trust it. Tim M. can vouch for that.

I'd pass on Fern Ridge. Being so shallow, it's always muddy when I go by there.
                        Steve Kiesel

Comment

I've got a 3 hp. get me home engine I keep in the bow. It fits nicely on the transom next to the big engine. I'm not sure it will be efficient on a heavy Skagit and going against a tide and a head wind. If I end up joining Lowell on the Snohomish I plan on trying it against the river current. I would like to have a little bigger kicker (6hp.).
                          Greg James

Comment

Thanks Steve. I need to get some of this doctors crap behind me and get some boating done.
                            I think most of the Oregon boys are around I-5 or up and down I-5 and I was thinking of that Columbia River run that Bruce Drake put on. That was pretty great even if I didn't get in on it.
                            The part of going up to the Oregon City Falls was pretty ok.
                            The Multnomah Channel is one I want to run too just to see how long it takes.

Maybe one of these weekend Steve, we can both haul over to Prinville Rez for some boating.

My kicker is a 15hp Gamefisher (OMC) and pushs pretty hard....
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

It doesn't appear this will be a good day for boating, several concerns are stacking up with warnings.
                              1. The Snohomish River is getting close to flooding.
                              2. Weather forecast is for rain.
                              3. Timing belt is broken on my truck.

I purpose another date for Saturday March 15th at 2pm and we will be off the River at 6pm.

To make this work you will need to be in the water and ready to go at 2pm the tide waits for no one.

So arrive at the launch site by 130 pm.

After the trip I know of a good Mexican cafe with plenty of parking in Snohomish.

Since the trip date got moved closer to spring (7 days away) I'm thinking there maybe more interested Captians.

Lowell
                              1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                              1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Working...
                              X