June 21st San Juan Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 21st San Juan Adventure

If there is any interest I will lead the San Juan trip. I would like to visit the Eastern Islands which include Hat, Saddle Bag, Vendovi, Jack, Clark Island and maybe Lummi. We are allowed to stop and go ashore on three of the islands.

This event could be turned into two days out, if enough people want to spend the night out. Clark Island has a wonderful beach for running the boat up on or you can anchor close to shore with a bunge arrangement on the anchor line.

There are nice campspots and a large sandy beach for enjoying the sunset, fires are allowed.
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Lowell, That sounds good but I can't commit yet. I got a really good deal on a 91-92 8hp. Honda from GregS and Tim Matson did his magic on it and made it new so I will be a lot more comfortable going into the San Juans with a reliable get me home engine. I am also planning a trip to upper Priest Lake to watch the Moose and Bears. It is remote and if you conk out up there it would not be easy to get back to civilization. Steheken is also a thought.
    Greg James

Comment

Lowell, Thanks for the advance notice. Will have to get back in about a month or so as i want to take this Skagit out for a quick shakedown run first when i'am finish. Thanks,Chuck
      Attached Files
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I need to get 18 Skagit up and running with electronics before I attempt that. In addition to installing the electronics I want to get a mooring cover with the door in it so I can sleep with an air mattress and a sleeping bag in the middle of the boat.

But first the 16 needs same thing so at least I have a boat. That goes first and is nearly done.
        Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
        16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
        17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

I'm glad there is some interest already. I put it up in the events section early so Captains could have their vessels ready on the day of departure. There will be more information closer to June 21st (my birthday, longest day of the year). If you are attending please let me know if you would like to stay the night out or just go for the day. I will try to post a few pictures of the area.
          Attached Files
          1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
          1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Hey Greg if you make it to Idaho give me a shout. You will be in my neck of the woods, have been trying to get the family back up there to camp. We have some friends who have cabins on lower Priest and do a little boat parade to upper priest for the day.

Comment

Lowell, It would be for overnight.

Dave, Just purchase a cheap car cover from O'Reilly's. That will work in a pinch. In fact i have one i will loan you.If you are with some other members , you really don't need to have a bunch of electronics provided you follow the leader so if he goes a ground you will not have any problems....right-o ?
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Chuck,

I know the San Juan's fairly well. My family owned The Deer Harbor Marina from about 1970 until about 1991. During that time I start out with a 14 foot sportsmen with 115 Johnson and ended up with a 27 with twin 454 out drives. That little sportsmen would run from Anacortes to deer harbor with two 6 gallon tanks in about one hour if the water was smooth. So now to get about in the San Juan's is pretty easy for me. However if it's foggy then GPS comes in really handy.
                Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
                16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
                17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Nick, I will for sure, I think it would be great to cruz Priest with somebody else for a change. I never get tired of Priest.
                  Greg James

Comment

I'll be there......
                    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

This has potential for us...I have to check the ever hectic schedule since school will just be getting out for the summer. Maybe I'll just go if my family's schedule is full and doesn't include me

Comment

It is good to see there is some interest, so far it appears that Greg, Chuck, Tim and Kelly are interested in going. I would like to start at Cape Sante Marina in Anacortes between 10-1030 on Saturday. It is a sling launch so your trailer will not get salt water on it.

Is the general feeling to go over night? If so I can't say for sure about getting on a park dock but there are some nice beaches that are easy to do a stern tie to shore and then you can just step off your boat.

You should have enough fuel for 6 hours of motoring at 18-22 knots also need sleeping gear, anchor with 100 feet of line, food and water.

If I missed someone who wants to go, please let me know and indicate if you want to stay overnight.
                        Lowell
                        1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                        1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Lowell, any idea which direct-destination you are headed for? Spencer Spit might be a good secure destination with beaches without really long running times. There's lots of choices.....
                          I usually anchor in pretty tight and often with only an 11 pound Bruce, ten feet of chain and 50 feet of line.

Comment

Oh, just reread your first entry; Hat, Saddle Bag, Vendovi, Jack, Clark Island and maybe Lummi.

Tim

Comment

There appears to be multiple posts about this trip, I'm sorry about doing this. If you are interested in going on this outing use the one that has the date of June 6th. This is the most recent one I submitted. Lowell
                              1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                              1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Working...
                              X