Our local government at work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our local government at work

I have been helping the owners of Action Marine Service move to a grainery close to my house. They had been in business 31 years. They have been working out a modest shop in the north marina in LaConner. It was a place I could always go for advice which was always given freely and for free. The kind of shop we all wish we could work with. Three or four years ago the Port of Skagit County decided they didn't want their modest building anymore so Action Marine would have to move. Action Marine offered to build a nice looking pole building on port property so they would still have access to the marina. The port at first approved this, but decided to build their own building and Action Marine was told they had to use the ports new building. The port built a building that was way more than what was needed and charged high rent and this has caused Action Marine to go out of business. This fancy building now sits empty. Three or four offices, a marine business site with nice shop area. At least 8 people either out of work or working elsewhere, this is a great way to create jobs. The inventory of new and used parts and equipment is going up for sale. Outboard stands for big motors, boat stands, shop equipment, new Mercury parts, Too much for me to list. They hope to make a web page with a list of parts and recoupe some of their money. Clint

Action Marine

That's terrible news, Clint. I really liked their operation and it's almost criminal that they weren't given an opportunity to continue where they were...especially since they offered to put up a new building at their expense (!)

Hope they come out okay by selling off whatever inventory they have left.

Nice that you've been pitching in to help them, too.

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Dan Taylor's Action Marine

I've known Dan Taylor for 30 years. He is a very good mechanic and honest business man.
      I stopped by Dan's establishment as they were moving in to the big building and I thought...wow....this is really big. I dropped off Marty's plexi oven for him to pick up there.

Really sorry to hear Dan is closing the doors. I'll give him a call. Thanks for the info......

Tim
      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
      X