Remembering my dad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering my dad

My dad passed away Tuesday at age 98. He is my boating inspiration. I was going through some of his slides and found pictures of the boats he and mom owned when they were first married. Odd that I had never seen those slides before.

First boat my dad bought was a 14 foot Wecco Clipper that he still had when I was a kid. Bought that in 1937. Boeing Credit Union used the photo of dad in the Wecco as their boat show add in the 1996 Seattle Boat Show. Same year I put Ida Rae's Skagit 20 in the show. Dad raced the Wecco in the Sammamish slough race in 1938 (think it was). He came in second.

In 1940, dad bought Lena, a 22 foot wood cruiser. They owned that for a season or two and then bought Gleneile a 26 foot cruiser. They lived aboard Gleneile on Lake Union for a year or so.

I took the slides to Costco to have printed and put on disc. When I get those back, I'll post some of them here. Some of them were shot here in the San Juans.

Dad was very adventuress. Good example was our 1960 cruise to Cape Scott in a 14 foot Sabrecraft. I also have pictures of yours truly water skiing in Tofino in 1969 (behind the Sabrecraft)!

more later.....

Tim
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Tim, really sorry about your loss. It must be heartwarming to know that he lived a good life and far longer than most of us. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of boats from the past.
    Jerry and Becky
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Your Dad....

Tim -

Very sorry to hear about your Dad's passing--he sounds like a great guy, and it's obvious how boating got into your blood.

Look forward to seeing the photos of your early days, and especially water-skiing in Tofino. (Not many people can say they did that!)

Best,

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

My condolences

Tim, I'm sorry to hear of your Dad passing. I could see from the presentation you shared with us about your trip with him and your brother that he had a great influence on your life and will be missed a great deal.
        Tim

Comment

Tim, Sorry to hear about your Dad.You were very lucky to have your dad around for so long.Chuck
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Sorry for your loss Tim.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
            X