Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And So It Begins

Greetings,

Oh my Lord in heaven! I’d forgotten how intense moving can be. When you are in the same home for years you don’t see or realize the accumulation. It’s phenomenal. I literally have boxes stacked to my ears and I am not even half way done yet. What is exciting at first becomes exhausting. I’m just grateful that I am not ten years older. WOW! But I am having fun and looking forward to this new adventure.

I haven’t been in a mood to write lately and I certainly haven’t had time for my boat building project as you well can imagine but that is temporary I assure you. The sea and beaches will take care of the content of my writing as well as give my boat a new home once I am settled.

I will give periodic updates during this transition as a sort of journal which should be fun.

Well, that’s the latest I am pushing onward in anticipation.

Until later always, the future Oregonian,

Tim

PS: Investigated a small cove just south of Coos Bay that has some beautiful off-shore rocks and very nice beaches, very secluded and serene, may even take up watercolors. My wife wants to go clamming right away upon our arrival. That I can’t see as a problem, sounds delicious.
    Just Be!

Originally posted by timgoodwin View Post
    Greetings,

Oh my Lord in heaven! I’d forgotten how intense moving can be. When you are in the same home for years you don’t see or realize the accumulation. It’s phenomenal. I literally have boxes stacked to my ears and I am not even half way done yet. What is exciting at first becomes exhausting. I’m just grateful that I am not ten years older. WOW! But I am having fun and looking forward to this new adventure.

I haven’t been in a mood to write lately and I certainly haven’t had time for my boat building project as you well can imagine but that is temporary I assure you. The sea and beaches will take care of the content of my writing as well as give my boat a new home once I am settled.

I will give periodic updates during this transition as a sort of journal which should be fun.

Well, that’s the latest I am pushing onward in anticipation.

Until later always, the future Oregonian,

Tim

PS: Investigated a small cove just south of Coos Bay that has some beautiful off-shore rocks and very nice beaches, very secluded and serene, may even take up watercolors. My wife wants to go clamming right away upon our arrival. That I can’t see as a problem, sounds delicious.
    I totally understand about the moving part. We had to put Everything into two storage units @$420 a month. I emptied the boat shop storage unit out and have Eds boat and all my equipment in the shop now, but lost 10 feet x 34 feet across the back so I still have several pieces of equipment that needs to be on wheels, which I have done two already. My big table, 4x8 on wheels needs to be dropped 1/8" lower than my big delta table saw. Then I an make my big cuts I need to make.

Now its getting the other storage emptied out as I have to the end of this month. Having to stop that $420 a month slow bleed.

Just have to throw this in. When I moved from Sandy to Quilcene, I was able to see the Hood Canal from our place up on the hill. What I didn't realize at the time was that certain things, I had to give up to the Salt Gods to eat away at. That part I did not care for At All. People that are raised and live up in Washington's Puget Sound, Hood Canal and around the San Juans, its part of life to them....Not me.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Eee Gads!

Greetings,

As it would happen, Murphy’s Law Strikes Again and this time without warning. The finances of the buyers fell into the toilet and then to top it off my boss comes to me asking that I “PLEASE” not leave just now as there is no one to replace us. So, in light of these wondrous events, it looks like we are here for at least another year. One consolation, I learned that I was selling my home under market value by several thousand dollars. Silver lining? Maybe! We’ll see.

So, now I am back to square one and that’s ok. I’ll make lemon aid from lemons. The universe has different plans for us I suppose.

Now you know “the rest of story” Paul Harvey.

Time to unpack and get on with the business of life as usual.

Until later,

Tim
      Attached Files
      Just Be!

Comment

The ocean is no place for an old Mecury anyway. When You started here had a photo of a lake that was going to be yours. Gray is the only color you'll need, I rains on the Oregon coast all winter.Lucky

Comment

Originally posted by John Nelson View Post
          The ocean is no place for an old Mecury anyway. When You started here had a photo of a lake that was going to be yours. Gray is the only color you'll need, I rains on the Oregon coast all winter.Lucky
          True, the Farallon needs a smaller motor, maybe two. New is best. As to Gray is the only color you'll need,...etc...Not sure what that means. Thanks for the reply however and for the best wishes.

PS: Yes Lake Georgetown is right up the road and two hours away in Kalispell is Flathead Lake, the largest this side of the Mississippi.
          Just Be!

Comment

Grey was in reference to the water color paints you would need. I fished chums on Willapa Bay it was gray and raining the whole time. The stacks had the best power to weight ratio and they sound cool . I considered becoming a 1500 guy. They have iron shafts that rust in salt water. I priced the stainless parts at $850. plus complete rebuild was too much. In fresh water I expect it would be serviceable and good power for you.

Comment

Originally posted by John Nelson View Post
              Grey was in reference to the water color paints you would need. I fished chums on Willapa Bay it was gray and raining the whole time. The stacks had the best power to weight ratio and they sound cool . I considered becoming a 1500 guy. They have iron shafts that rust in salt water. I priced the stainless parts at $850. plus complete rebuild was too much. In fresh water I expect it would be serviceable and good power for you.
              Before I moved from Sandy Oregon up to Quilcene Washington. I found the weather matched up to be about the same unless we got into the rain shadow in the Olympics. On the coast, I think it does rain more. But, have you ever seen Any of my boats without a top I too am a local so I gear for it.
              In fact, the 59 Skagit 20ft offshore has a full top on it

I agree with you on the Stacks (for those that do not know what that is, its the inline 6 Merc's that got that nick name) unless you dump a Bunch of money into those, you have to give them up to the salt Gods.
              But, its been done. I have seen some of them they Zinc them up to help stop some of the aluminum rust that shows up.

This seems to be something not allot of folks talk about. Of course you always have to flush the crap out of them all the time.

Here is one I have never been able to find Anyone to confirm. I was told by this one old timer that he mixes up a full box of Baking Soda in hot water into a slurry and pours it into a barrel that he has under the back of his outboard mounted to the boat. Pours in the baking soda and lets it mix in with the water circulating though the engine.
              I wonder if this is just a old wise or wives tail.
              I know you can get that Salt Away and do the same flushing. That would take care of the salt issue to a point but water is water and iron and metal will still rust.

Oh, for the Mercury engines, seems that Thom (Dr Frankinmerc) has a friend down in Oregon in the Salem area that does pretty much the same thing. That would be fore you Oregon folks.

I still have that fresh water 50hp white merc engine and two of the 50hp white mercs that was on Jack Dando's boat. Those are salt water mercs. Not quite sure how those will come down but I need the lower unit for the fresh water one I have.
              That engine Was going to end up on the 1959 Skagit Skimaster. Not sure now. Where I will be going, the water will just get a little brackish is all as I am not going out over the bar for No one. Should be just fine on one of my lake boats.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
              X