Saratogan Shakedown 5 months in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saratogan Shakedown 5 months in......

It's been five months since I launched Sweet Zoanna. I haven't been able to afford much, but I have made some progress on some of the mechanical issues that developed after launch.

I've been working on finishing the mahogany floor in the cabin, plumbing in the domestic water pump and a few projects like that. Today I installed one of the deck anchors that secure the passenger seats.

A little after noon I decided to take the boat for a little spin. The weather wasn't the best, but I decided to go for it anyway. Ran up San Juan channel and stopped at Jones Island. The wind was out of the south, so the south side of Jones was a little choppy. I ran around to the north side bay. I messed around there for a while, seeing how close I could get to the steep gravel beach. It started to rain.

Then I ran around the island and pointed the old girl to Spieden Channel. I stopped briefly at Lonesome Cove resort, but their floats were out, so I didn't land. On up Spieden Channel and around into Roche Harbor. I motored into the inner harbor, right up to the end of the fuel dock. I was surprised to see about a dozen people on the dock with their cameras pointed at the Saratogan.

I nonchalantly spun the boat around in her own length and motored out a ways where I moored up. The harbormaster came down and asked if I needed any fuel. I said no, but could I moor up for a few minutes at the dinghy dock so as to get a picture of Sweet Zoanna with the Hotel De Haro in the background. "Sure, no problem and by the way....beautiful boat!" I said thanks!

The sun came out almost by magic and shot these pictures.

I've been too broke to renew my membership, so thanks for the grace period.
    The good news is that I got a job......at the San Juan Island Marine Center....a wrench.....only 200 feet from where I moor the boat. I didn't have a resume' or anything. Said, I restored that teal Skagit boat there.............HIRED!

I'm getting the bugs out of the boat. It's a blast to drive. The other day I decided to see what the Saratogan would do in some tight turns. I'll be carrying passengers, so don't want any handling quirks. I'd run about 19 knots and just crank the wheel hard over. The boat obliges with a gentle and graceful slight bank into the turn and then just goes around in a tight circle as if on tracks. Straighten out and then crank the wheel hard over to port. Again the boat just complies as if it's no big deal...."Yes, boss, what would you like next?"

I'll be working during the week, but have an open invitation to all club members to stop up for a test drive....

Having the boat in the water after so many years is sooooo fun....

Tim aka McSkagit
    Attached Files
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Ah there is nothing like having a job to go to to keep one's addictions alive!
    Especially if you can enjoy the view of the object of your obsession.
    Wrench hard Tim; chuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

She is so beautiful! Great work and I'm glad to see you are using her as intended.
      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
      Past Affairs:
      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
      X