Checking In

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking In

I don't post or come on too often, so I thought I'd drop by and post an update of sorts.
    I haven't done much to the boat, because, well, it's been running great and should't mess with success... although.... about two weeks ago was running on the river, and we lost power, drastically. Popped the cowl off the Homelite, and in short order figured out I was only running on one carburetor, so I disconnected the linkage to the top carb and limped her back to the dock on the bottom carb. At the dock, I pulled the top carb off, and discovered that the jet had come unscrewed and fell off into the float bowl. Reattached, and all was great, but that uncovered the next item. I discovered that I can get about another 5 degrees of throttle if I push the throttle manually at the engine, and that translated into about another 1-2 MPH... being that I know that it's there for the taking, I'll be darned if I can adjust it into usable throttle... either it starts ramping into the throttle too soon, and I therefore am off idle before engaging in gear, or I can't get full throttle. So, I am looking at spare linkages that I can modify to get more throw out of the assembly and grab that last little bit of power.

But where the real effort has been going has been on the trailer side of the never ending project. I finally got the fenders to the Tee Nee back from the body shop and mounted, got the wiring done, and a bow stop figured out. I got the NOS hitch mounted on my Falcon Wagon, so by the weekend, I might have the Glasspar on the Tee Nee behind the Wagon...

I have the 17th off, but am nervous to make a close to 500 mile round trip to Mason Lake from Wenatchee, alone and without much (any) real shake down miles. Anybody heading over from Central Washington I could caravan with?

Dave

IMG_5605.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg
    Attached Files

Originally posted by davriker View Post
    I don't post or come on too often, so I thought I'd drop by and post an update of sorts.
    I haven't done much to the boat, because, well, it's been running great and should't mess with success... although.... about two weeks ago was running on the river, and we lost power, drastically. Popped the cowl off the Homelite, and in short order figured out I was only running on one carburetor, so I disconnected the linkage to the top carb and limped her back to the dock on the bottom carb. At the dock, I pulled the top carb off, and discovered that the jet had come unscrewed and fell off into the float bowl. Reattached, and all was great, but that uncovered the next item. I discovered that I can get about another 5 degrees of throttle if I push the throttle manually at the engine, and that translated into about another 1-2 MPH... being that I know that it's there for the taking, I'll be darned if I can adjust it into usable throttle... either it starts ramping into the throttle too soon, and I therefore am off idle before engaging in gear, or I can't get full throttle. So, I am looking at spare linkages that I can modify to get more throw out of the assembly and grab that last little bit of power.

But where the real effort has been going has been on the trailer side of the never ending project. I finally got the fenders to the Tee Nee back from the body shop and mounted, got the wiring done, and a bow stop figured out. I got the NOS hitch mounted on my Falcon Wagon, so by the weekend, I might have the Glasspar on the Tee Nee behind the Wagon...

I have the 17th off, but am nervous to make a close to 500 mile round trip to Mason Lake from Wenatchee, alone and without much (any) real shake down miles. Anybody heading over from Central Washington I could caravan with?

Dave

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14350[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14353[/ATTACH]
    Nice to see you again Dave.
    Good idea for a shake down run. Hope we have someone else that might make that run with you..Sure looking good and I am sure the pictures do Not do it Justus.
    (Thank you for your Support too, it was needed

I had somewhat the same issue with my controls but don't remember what I had to do now?? I have a tach in mine and will only run her up to 4500, cause she's old like me ;-)
    I was not able to get full throttle either. Will have to ponder that one, maybe go look at the boat and see if that will help me remember.

I am not sure if we are going to make it ourselves. Just got my motor back together and have not tested. Might have carb issues myself due to setting.

Maybe Super Sportster can help with the cable issue too.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Welcome back Dave!!

My old Merc 1000 had the same throttle movement issues but I just accepted it as it was due to my motor having no issues getting upto and beyond factory rev limit... I would suggest the use of a good tach before you go thru all the hassle of rebuilding linkage. That last 1-2 mph could end up burning up the motor.

Hell, even our Chris Craft with it's 4 barrel Holley doesn't actually use all the potential butterfly movement, but again it will climb well over the 4500 suggested limit if I'm not paying close attention to it! More butterfly movement requires more fuel and depending on your jetting you could get yourself into a lean condition which can also cause damage.

As for Mason Lake, I think you would really enjoy the event and if it were me I would keep the boat on the trustworthy trailer if I was gonna drive that far... Although we took our boat over to Lewiston Idaho from Seattle only 48 hours after finishing the fabrication on the new trailer... But we were also in the middle of a six truck convoy.
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I've been collecting props, and change them out depending on what I'm doing that day, and I do have a good tach, so over rev isn't an issue. With two on board, I can run a 13 pitch and top out at stated HP peak rpm. When I tow, I drop to the 11 pitch to get the ski/tube out of the hole faster, and when I'm by myself, I run the 14 pitch. If I can grab that last little bit, I've got what I think is a 16 pitch (no marking) two blade that should bring my top speed up, but when I ran it as is, it was a real dog out of the hole, but made for quieter cruising.

Comment

I know I did a lot of adjusting on mine and believe it does fully open. Took out all the linkage slop between the carbs, sync'd them to open exactly at the same time. With the 12 pitch prop it runs up to 5300 rpm, it sees that till top speed and then I back it down to 3/4 throttle. I went through all my carbs a few years back, they didn't seem to have much quality control back then as most of the throttle plates are not tight to the bore when fully closed. I found one set that seemed "okay". Big issue for me as I'm trolling a lot with mine.
          Dick Johnson
          1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
          '57 Evinrude 18hp
          '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
          '72 Johnson 6hp
          '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
          '65 Homelite 55
          '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
          '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by davriker View Post
            I've been collecting props, and change them out depending on what I'm doing that day, and I do have a good tach, so over rev isn't an issue. With two on board, I can run a 13 pitch and top out at stated HP peak rpm. When I tow, I drop to the 11 pitch to get the ski/tube out of the hole faster, and when I'm by myself, I run the 14 pitch. If I can grab that last little bit, I've got what I think is a 16 pitch (no marking) two blade that should bring my top speed up, but when I ran it as is, it was a real dog out of the hole, but made for quieter cruising.
            I went out and checked to assure I am getting full throttle as it Was a issue before....But for the life of me, I can't remember what I did to make that happen.

I do know I was adjusting everything and even replaced the cable as it was starting to get sticky. I do remember having the controller totally apart too....
            I hate getting old.

I know it wasn't the cable and I Was able to get full throttle by adjusting things as the only thing I replaced was the throttle cable......
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
            X