No announcement yet.

Picture thread for 1958 Skagit 20s **1958 only**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Skunkworks boat was repainted, I think, and Helmar has a better take on that. Know where the windshield is, though, and I love the way it looks on that boat.
    Previous boat (turquoise, black, white) sold 2 years ago. That was all original gel coat from factory. Almost a twin to Melanie's "Kanigo". Seller got it from the owner or relative of Des Moines, Wa marina. The Des Moines owner put a lot of bucks into the electronics, was a super deal.
    Have no idea where these boats are now.

Comment

Bummer not knowing where they go... We should start a registry or something official to keep track of them. I guess right here is as good a place as any

I know this one belonged to a club member, where is it now?
      Attached Files

Comment

Bruce and Joe, I hope it's ok that I post some of the pics that you guys have sent me. I fully realize I've already posted some but just thought about it

Here's some cool shots of another mossy 20! The triplet to Bruce's and mine...
        Attached Files

Comment

The green and white still belongs to Jeff Ault. He and friend John Kelly are MIA. John's nicely restored 58 Bell Boy was for sale last week on CL.
          Marty found and researched the burg and white and moss 58, was last seen 10 years ago in Kingston, reportedly on the way to dump.
          John's Bell Boy- very nice, turn key !
          http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/5898544881.html

Comment

Whoa now you're crossing the streams Bruce! LoL, just kidding...it is a nice turn-key vessel.

I think my count of 1958 Skagit 20's is up to around 20 that are posted here. I know you have more pics guys, don't hold back!

Comment

Originally posted by John Nelson View Post
              The head banging from not buying twin bearcats is less concussive than that from buying. You Wouldn't pick up where you left off with the uniflite. To get those in working order you're talking coils, carb rebuild, fuel pumps lines, valve adj, sealup/rebuild lower units, remove thermostats. Getting bolts out of the thermostat and water pump housings can be good times, rectifiers starter clean/rebuild. Providing some one has not really fixed em already. There really isn't the support for running them in salt water any more either. You got a couple of the best canvases I've seen come out in a long time. Be happy.
              Right now, I only know of a hand full of us that can do that.
              I "Think" this fellow down in Salem Oregon that does the Merc's like Doc Frankinmerc has worked on them. I forget his name but will work on contacting him about them.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                Bruce and Joe, I hope it's ok that I post some of the pics that you guys have sent me. I fully realize I've already posted some but just thought about it

Here's some cool shots of another mossy 20! The triplet to Bruce's and mine...
                I think I remember this boat and if I am right, it Marty who found it. It was on Whibey I think?
                Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Bummer not knowing where they go... We should start a registry or something official to keep track of them. I guess right here is as good a place as any

I know this one belonged to a club member, where is it now?
                  Jeff still has this and it still needs Glass for the helm.

I am in contact with Greg Silcox and Jeff Ault on Facebook.
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Invite them back here, at the very least to contribute to this thread

Here's another cool one...where is it now?
                    20161211_215328.jpg

Comment

Invite them back here, at the very least to contribute to this thread

Here's another cool one...where is it now?
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]14582[/ATTACH]
                      Pretty sure this was John and Candy.
                      They sold the boat maybe 2010 and dropped out. They live pretty close to Marty up on Marrostone Island.
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Yes, think Helmar's got that boat, originally showed up at LaConner boat show on the water and then came for the 50th
                        Anniversary. Was originally an outboard boat and was altered to I/O. Helmar, what engine was in it ?Img0680.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb View Post
                          Yes, think Helmar's got that boat, originally showed up at LaConner boat show on the water and then came for the 50th
                          Anniversary. Was originally an outboard boat and was altered to I/O. Helmar, what engine was in it ?[ATTACH=CONFIG]14583[/ATTACH]
                          I am not sure this is the same boat?
                          The one in the earlier post Was John and Candy's 20 Skagit and it had a later Volvo with a later model Volvo Penta outdrive.
                          He just had Island Boat Shop foam under the cockpit floor and the engine had a new head and exhaust manifold. No reason to pull it and go outboard.
                          He sold it that next season and bought that P-14 that Marty used on the Around Bainbridge event.
                          I don't know were or who got the boat after John sold it ?

I was trying to compare Hull numbers between the two but the first post I can't see any numbers on it at all..
                          Could this one be John Bergs?
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

The boat that I had parked more than running is my 59 Skagit offshore.
                            At the 50th, I was parked clear down by the Cat walk onto the floats. Bill Roberts held a spot for me and I lucked out and parked it like I knew what I was doing.
                            Back then it was that Blue and Purple so Greg James called it Purple Haze.
                            Because the paint was coming off the hull in chunks, I was able to re paint it in Martys shop.

It has a Volvo B-18 in it with the AQ-100 Volvo Penta outdrive. After the 50t the next season I started out to go on the San Juans event but once She got up on plain, she would start blubbering and fall back. It would idle all day long.

This was one of my very costly, STUPID mistakes.
                            I limped over to Port Townsend, got a quick ride up to the auto parts store for a electric fuel pump. Not the answer.
                            Replaced the coil. Not the answer..
                            Pulled her and took her home.
                            Replaced the carbs with a pair of Weber carbs, took her out into the Quilcene bay, ran her up, same thing but this time, the pump failed as so did the temp gauge.
                            The Temp gauge stopped at 130 degrees but she got so hot it cooked the paint on the motor !!!.
                            I had the kicker and limped her back to the trailer.
                            It blew the head gasket so I ran a compression test.
                            It Totally Blew me away, the compression on the first two cylinders were still way up there were they should be !!!. It should have Cooked those rings.
                            I found another B-18, installed it, rebuilt the pump, took her back out. SAME problem ???

I missed something Really stupid.
                            While out in the Quilcene bay again, it did the Same thing but I stopped and bobbed around in the water for while and decided to take the Old condenser that I had on it from the Skagit 50th, piggy backed it on the new condenser, ran her up and she took off like a cut cat.
                            She ran just as good as she did on the Skagit 50th anniversary.
                            I left from Mistery bay, went up and round Whidbey though the straights, up in to Laconnor, then down and stayed at Oak Harbor for the night.

I was with Marty Loken in his Green Hornet and John and Candy's red and white 20 Skagit that the engine was over heating. So, he limped back to Oak Harbor and Marty followed. I was told to keep going and he would catch up to me as I was the slowest boat (she really does 28mph on the GPS) but I kept her around 15mph all the way down to the bottom of Whidbey.
                            I finely got a phone call from Marty. He was broke down too. I think Ginny was home and they got a ride to the ferry.
                            So, by the time I got down to the end of Whidbey, they had taken the ferry across and Mo picked them up, both John and Marty got there trailers and went back to Oak Harbor.

I had been bobbing around at the end of Whidbey waiting for Marty and when did get the call, he told me about both of them broke down and asked me if I had the maps he gave me. I said no, but this is a Island right, I just go around the bottom and back up the other side and when I see the ferry crossing going to Port Townsend, I just turn left, correct ?
                            He said yes but stay away from the shores as there are all kinds of places I could get in trouble.
                            So, I started out, came around the bottom only to come into a Full on tide. I turned her into it heading up north and I didn't see the swells right away and up came the bow, then Slamming down and stuck the nose in the next swell. I almost bit the end of my pipe off that I was smoking at the time.
                            I soon figured out that I needed to not head Straight into those and kind of crap walk my way across and up.
                            I have no way of knowing where I was at and all of a sudden, I see this distant Large Ship coming at me....
                            Remember, this is the first time I have ever been on water like this. Most of all my boating was in lakes and rivers.
                            So anyway, I gave that big ship a Lot of room and even his wake was Big !!
                            I had been looking for it and when I seen it I thought, Uh Oh.....so I turned her so I was not taking it head on.

I kept going all the way up and missed that first passage that goes between Marrostone and Indian Island and then seen the Ferry crossing. I was Sure glad to see that !!
                            So, I make the turn towards Kingston and I see this BIG fishing boat coming at me, honking his horn.
                            I am thinking, geeze, am I not supposed to be here? so I turned towards the island. So did that Big Fishing boat and he kept honking at me.
                            Now I am getting worried and just cut the throttle. He turned and was heading right at me now so I thought, maybe I am supposed to be on the other side of him or something so I kept the engine running.

Then I seen him slow down, come out the crows nest and down the steps and hollers to me that there is a Deer trying to swim put from Marrostone and he will drown, Would I got throw a rope on him and get him back to shore....Sure I said.
                            So Carol and I headed in and sure enough, found him and it was a Buck. I just cut him off so he turned around and headed back to shore.
                            I told Carol to take the wheel and I would guide her along side the deer.
                            I told her to back off the throttle and if the deer was starting to have trouble, throttle up along side and I would get a rope on the deer.
                            Thankfully, I did not have to do that, the deer made it ashore.
                            So, we headed back and got into a argument on were to turn into Mistery bay. So, I cut across and it was High tide and kept watching the depth meter and it was like 3 feet under the boat, But, we made it back into the bay and followed the markers.

I kicked it up as this was pretty much a full day and when I made the turn into the park launch, there is Marty, John and Candy coming down the cat walk.

I told him this was Crap. I went from Swab to First Mate to Captain all in one day and didn't like it.

When we first left the day before, I had on 40 gallons of fuel. Marty and John fueled in Oak Harbor but I was more than half full.
                            I didn't have a fuel gauge and stuck the tanks. 6 inches in each tank still !!!!!...She was going sip sip sip all the way back home.

That was the last time she ran that good.
                            I did the tune up and all went bad after that.
                            Other than, the exhaust elbow rotted out and John Nelson make me a New one out of Stainless. It had to have taken HOURS to make that but he did.
                            John helped me get her running again with another head for it. This time used a Automobile head were it had a cooling line on the rear cylinder. Made all the difference in the world.
                            John and I took it from Quilcene all the way down to Hoodsport and back and John was almost in disbelief of how little fuel that package used at 15mph down and back.

Wow, this got long huh...

Anyway, here is what used to be called Purple Haze now called Belair.
                            I know, its not a 1958 ;-)
                            Attached Files
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Holy smokes..breathe man! LoL..just kidding. Good story, especially the deer.
                              It's the same boat, same kicker, same non-factory windshield.

Comment

Wow, you saved one of the cards I designed !
                                Where did John Berg ever go? never saw that red and white 59 in your last post after that meet. Pretty sure the 58 is John and Candy's.
                                You wrote a book there, I'll have time to check it later !

Comment

Working...
                                X