Upcoming Wind Storm(s)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Wind Storm(s)

Yesterday the news media in Western Washington started comparing the wave of storms coming in the next 4 days as being as bad as the Columbus Day storm of 1962. That particular storm had tornado like winds embedded and caused lots of trees to fall and flipped parked airplanes, etc.
    How does this concern us, you might ask. Many of the 1950's, early 60's, pleasure boats were parked on owner's property around here and sustained damage that at least, caused scrapes to the boats and at worst, catastrophic damage, making them totally unusable. I'd suspect the single reason why there are not as many boats around here as were produced......
    If you've wondered why a particular boat has an aftermarket windshield, maybe it sustained a blow from a falling tree limb/trunk.
    So, the message may be too late for some, but please, find a way to place or stow your boat away from trees, flying debris, airborne items,anchor down Costco structures....batten down the hatches AND get them the heck out of the way....very soon !!! Thanks !P1060879 (2).JPG
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bruceb; 10-13-2016, 07:41 AM.

Yikes! Is that your boat? Different trailer?
    I'm very concerned about the trees around our neighborhood. Last year during the bad storms I felt our boat was safer at the dock than in our driveway as our neighbors have some gigantic trees that I always am cleaning up after.
    Our hardtop isn't in a good spot right now and our blue Skagit is out at my in-laws, kinda in the open but susceptible to flying branches for sure. I hope everyone comes away with zero to minimal damage this weekend.
    Stay safe!

Comment

That's a boat that was owned by a club member that is now in possession of the original owner's relatives, it's red and white with blue cabin windows.
      My boat's on it's first "permanent" trailer, first put under it in 1961- yep, still the same trailer.
      Take care out there !

Comment

I didn't think it was yours...whew!
        It does look cool with the blue windows.

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb View Post
          That's a boat that was owned by a club member that is now in possession of the original owner's relatives, it's red and white with blue cabin windows.
          My boat's on it's first "permanent" trailer, first put under it in 1961- yep, still the same trailer.
          Take care out there !
          When you are talking about those Costco tents, I had 6 of those at one time. Tops would go first.

Living in Quilcene up on the hill were I was, you could look down and see the Quilcene bay and out into the hood canal. That was a great view but when the wind would come up, it would come Up right at my place.
          Well, the first two Costco tents I had, came loose and almost destroyed what was in them.

That got fixed as I had a bunch of fencing T posts.
          So, on four corners of those tents I found that if I use the post driver, I was able to pound then down about two feet, drill a hole in it, hooked fence wire around the tent legs and though the hole I drilled in the T post. Then I drove the post down slowly to tighten the fencing wire. No wiggle room.

Those tents made it though some 60+ mile wind storms with NO problems.
          After several years, 4?, the tops started to go back due to the ultraviolet rays. I ordered what replacement, so called Better tops for two of them only to find out they did not fit as well and they also only lasted 2 years.

But, they did Not move in the storms.

When it was time to move them, a Harbor Freight fence post jack, pulled the T posts right up and out also with no issues.

Moral of this story is to Anchor them down Real Good of you want to keep them.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
          X