• Show
Clear All

• I caught the bug!!!!

Hello every one!

So I just posted a want add for a skagit boat. I've been intrigued
    with the beautiful lines of these 50's boats ever since I saw one
    posted for sale on craigslist.

I found my self continually looking for these boats up for sale and
    started looking into the history of these boats. I'm hooked!

I can hardly wait to get one to restore and enjoy the beautifull
    waters up hear in the northwest, and to enjoy the comradery of
    other owners.

Mark

caught the bug....

I hope you realize that many members have caught the bug, restored it maybe, released the bug to someone else, bought it back at a later date, fell in love with another classic, restored it, traded it someone else, etc etc. , but never lost the passion for old boats. And then there are engines....
    Welcome to the adventure Mark..its lots of fun..:GoTeam1:
    Bruce H. Drake
    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

Mark, Bruce is right about the boats changing ownership among us. We had one that changed hands 5 times within the members of NWCBC before it ended up in Bellingham ! The picture is of a 1957 17 Skagit i had in 1996 that i sold to Greg James ( our Commodore ) that same year that i was alongside in 2009 with my Dorsett by the northend of Bainbridge Island. Greg still lives 4 houses around the corner from me and has the Skagit. By the way Bruce Drake wife took the picture of Greg and i and now i own their Skagit 20 one year after the picture was taken in 2009. You could call it a family tree ,but in this case it's a "boaters" tree. Chuck
      Attached Files
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Mark, Welcome. I've been asked several times why I have maintained the same boat for so many years. It's because I wanted to put all my resources into one boat and the Skagit 17 is versitile in that it is good for rivers, lakes and the Sound. I also do a fair amount of trailering to fairly distant locations and I feel that the trailerability is important mainly because the lighter the boat the less gas I have to buy. I use a 50 h.p. Evenrude which will get the boat up on a plain in about 10 sec. at 14 m.p.h. and the top speed is 30 m.p.h.. It will troll at about 2 m.p.h.. It burns about 1.5 g.p.h. at 20 m.p.h. which I think is exceptionly good. I have been tempted to get a larger engine (75 etech) but with gas prices the way they are I will stick with what I've got. My wife and I have overnighted in the boat several times and with two births and a portapody in the cuddy we are comfortable. I have full canvas so the weather is not much of a concern except for excessively windy conditions and fog. I have been caught out in exceptionaly rough connditions and the boat handled it well. My point is that there are a lot of things to concider while you are shopping for a boat. Keep in touch and when you see something you might like get on the board and ask lots of questions, we are more then happy to help and most importantly take your time. If you would like to talk to me by ph. please call 206 790 1725. If I can't help you with any questions you might have at least I can point you in the right direction. Good luck and have fun. I have a feeling you are going to find something really cool with your number on it.
        Greg James

Comment

Hi Mark from Silverdale,
          We live on Erlands point on the water facing Silverdale, we have lived here long enough to watch Silverdale go from a one blinking stop light to what it is today. We are in the process of rebuilding a Glasspar and we have also owend some of these vintage boats when they were not vintage. You are welcome to stop by and see the project and talk boat or what ever.

Welcome, Dave

Comment

Thanks for the invite Dave!

I live just up the hill from the mall! I remember that one blinking light in silverdale
            also!

Comment

I remember Silverdale as a one light town as well and up the road was Island Lake Resort friday night dances. My Dad and Uncle own it ( they would send me down to the beach at night and i was to come back to tell them if i saw any skinny dippers..saw some but never told them till i was about 20. I was about 9 at the time) and i would go over when fishing season started and work in the boathouse ( Snack bar ) most of the summer. Chuck

Comment

Chuck;
                Did you go through the Central Kitsap schools? I see from your sign in you live in Mill Creek now, we are up in that area alot our daughter lives near the Everett Mall. I grew up in the Alderwood manor area to be more specific Lake Stickney. My parents house was on the other side of the creek from Lake side Gardens. We moved from their in 1966 to Gig Harbor.

Dave

Comment

Dave, We lived in Magnolia in Seattle and had a summer house on Rockaway beach just outside of Eagledale harbor on Bainbridge Island. My wife and i live just ouside of Mill Creek now. Picture is my oldest son (Dan) and i in front of our former Bainbridge Island summer home in my former Dorsett Farallon.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Also, if you want to see what you are in for, you can swing by my place in Poulsbo any time and have a look at my Bell Boy 404 restoration. This was one of the worst case scenarios, down to the stringers, everything rotten. She is looking good now though...
                    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                    Past Affairs:
                    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by TheBronze, post: 21582
                      Also, if you want to see what you are in for, you can swing by my place in Poulsbo any time and have a look at my Bell Boy 404 restoration. This was one of the worst case scenarios, down to the stringers, everything rotten. She is looking good now though...

Thanks John! I may take you up on that offer. your can
                      pm me @ prtshunter@aol.com

Mark

Comment

I bought a 1964 Uniflite a year and half ago! These NW classics are wonderful!

Good luck on your search!

Troy Olason
                        www.cruisingnw.com

Comment

Working...
                        X