Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We have New Users, Please tell us about yourselves.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thom, Welcome ! Huh ? Addams Family ? Never heard of them. Must have been before my time. Chuck.
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Originally posted by vetteguys, post: 3289
      Hi, I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Ron Wiebe. I live in Bellingham a few blocks from the ocean. I own a 1958 Glastron Surf flite with a 1958 Johnson super seahorse 35. I bought it earlier this year. It had been sitting in a garage in Seattle for about eight years. I need a key for the ignition and a few pieces of fuel line before I can drop it in the pond. I also own a 1959 Redfish. It has an early 60s Johnson 45 hp. This boat has the huge fins and also the fiberglass roof. It needs a new floor fiberglass in and a paint job among other things to make it complete. I am also restoring a 1957 Chevrolet nomad and have almost finished a 1955 Airstream "flying cloud".
      I would like to put the Glastron in the water this year but I have to see how my time goes. I enjoy this site and would like to meet others' in Bellingham who have similar interests in boats.

http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...1&d=1242930148
      http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...1&d=1242930183
      Hi Ron,
      I recognize your name. Think I must know you. Did you work at Intalco by any chance? I'm on Lummi Island and we have a 1957 Skagit Rosario Express.
      It will be good to have some more locals with similar interests. We just got the boat from a club member this summer and got in a couple of trips to nearby islands and down to LaConner. Are anxiously awaiting spring to get back on the water. Have a boat launch near our house but the docks are pulled from October until May so we have a rather limited boating season.
      Jerry McRorie
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Welcome Thom and where were you a couple of years ago when I really needed some sound advice? I bought a 1965 4 cylinder 650 which ran pretty good for a short while. When it didn't run so good, I took it to a shop where the guy specialized in old Merc's. He persuaded me to have a complete overhaul for $2,800. It ran for about a mile and broke a timing belt. So back it went to the shop in a distant town. A new timing belt went on and it broke in about a mile. This time there was replacement of the magneto. Then it ran but only at about half throttle. So, I finally figured out the throttle linkage was hitting the block because it was assembled backward. Then it ran for a bit and started running only at about half power. I gave up and bought another boat, trailer and a Johnson 50 hp. and couldn't be happier. Had $3,800 in the motor alone and sold everything for $1 and a trash compactor. Now I'm ready for my next Merc (if I can make it into small enough pieces to go into the trash masher!) . Oh, did I remember to say "Welcome to the club?" I'm really not soured on all Mercs but sure am on that one!
        Jerry

Comment

Jerry, It's a Evinrude.
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

,...So, I finally figured out the throttle linkage was hitting the block because it was assembled backward. Then it ran for a bit and started running only at about half power.,...I'm really not soured on all Mercs but sure am on that one!
            Jerry[/QUOTE]

Well Jerry,
            I realize you had really been taken to the cleaners before I read about your ongoing saga and offered my help, but had you informed me that the cantankerous old girl had pooped out again after we found that throttle link was installed bass-ackward,...I'm sure we could have figured that one out and gone forward. Last I heard it was back up and running fine for you.
            I wish I lived closer. Diagnosing and resolving by e-mail is pretty tough, but it seems to me like we had made some real headway.
            The old 650 would have never ended up in the scrap heap.
            Thom
            Doc Frankenmerc
            Keeping Mercs alive since 1965

Comment

Hey Chuck,
              I know it's a 'Rude but I knew how to spell "Johnson"
              And Thom, sorry I wasn't sure you were the Dr. Frankenmerc that did give me all that help. Last I knew, before selling to my son, was I had blown fuel through the carbs and it was running fine again. I'd just lost all faith in it and when Chuck made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the Rosario, the old boat wasn't one I wanted to own any longer.
              Jerry

Comment

,..."And Thom, sorry I wasn't sure you were the Dr. Frankenmerc that did give me all that help. Last I knew, before selling to my son, was I had blown fuel through the carbs and it was running fine again. I'd just lost all faith in it and when Chuck made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the Rosario, the old boat wasn't one I wanted to own any longer."
                Jerry[/QUOTE]

Jerry,
                I'm still having nightmares swallowing the thought of how much those guys had soaked you on those 'repairs'.
                My wifey-pooh gets pretty upset with me when she learns how little I get from my assistance in these matters, but that's the way I am.
                I have a day job to pay the bills.
                If you or anyone spots an old Merc that peaks their interest please don't hesitate to contact me so I can either go look with you or write up a list of things to check.
                There is never any guarantee with old mystery meat outboard motors that's for sure.
                Thom
                Attached Files
                Doc Frankenmerc
                Keeping Mercs alive since 1965

Comment

My son isn't coming for the Larson with the 650 on it until spring now. So, today I went out and ran the gas out of the carbs. It fired right up and ran smoothly. I'm hoping he will get a lot of good use from it anyway.
                  I know what your wife's thinking is about not charging enough. I have a son with MS who is a computer whiz. He can't work but he repairs computers for everyone with a story and only charges for parts. He has a wife and young daughter and could use the money but he claims he gets enjoyment out of solving computer problems and that's his reward.

Comment

Hello

A new user an don't really know what I am doing yet on this site but please be patient. I have a 1972 BellBoy hard top That i recently purchased an love it. Have some work to do on it including trying to find some emblems for it. So if anyone out there could help please feel free to do so. Thanks again an also looking forward to viewing this site an enjoying the friendship. Dennis (TenderTugs)

Comment

Hi Ron,
                      I recognize your name. Think I must know you. Did you work at Intalco by any chance? I'm on Lummi Island and we have a 1957 Skagit Rosario Express.
                      It will be good to have some more locals with similar interests. We just got the boat from a club member this summer and got in a couple of trips to nearby islands and down to LaConner. Are anxiously awaiting spring to get back on the water. Have a boat launch near our house but the docks are pulled from October until May so we have a rather limited boating season.
                      Jerry McRorie

Hi Jerry, I did not work at Intalco. There are several with my name around Bellingham. I moved here from Aldergrove BC 5 years ago. I'd love to see your boat sometime. It is a great boat. I have a couple of finned old ones. 1958 glastron and a 1959 redfish. Hope to get them i the water soon. My wifes mother lives at the beach on Samish Island and I hope to have the boat tied up there when it is done. She has her own dock. Not sure about his year , maybe next. I'd like to learn to salmon fish this year. I live on Bancroft road just off Marine drive. I can almost see the water from my house.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Dennis. The Bellboy's are great boats. Watch Ebay, I see stuff like that on there occasionally. Also watch Craigslist for someone parting out a Bellboy. Good luck with the restore. Post some pictures when you can.
                        Steve Kiesel
                        1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

DanConrad

New user. Don't know procedures, how to start a new thread, etc. I am restoring a Dorsett. Think it's a 59 El Dorado or Belmont Luxury. Is there somewhere I can go to enter hull number to find out? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DanConrad, post: 11499
                            New user. Don't know procedures, how to start a new thread, etc. I am restoring a Dorsett. Think it's a 59 El Dorado or Belmont Luxury. Is there somewhere I can go to enter hull number to find out? Thanks.
                            Hi Dan.
                            Procedures are pretty easy.
                            Just click on the FAQ.

Might post some pictures :TakePicture1:

Pictures always help. Not sure about an hull number lists as of yet.
                            If you do find them, please share.
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Dan,

Welcome, glad you found us. Your best bet for identifying your boat is going to be posting lots of clear photos here and on a few other sites, it won't take long for someone to recognize it and speak up. Try these sites too:

www.fiberglassics.com
                              www.theclassicboathouse.com
                              www.bigfinboats.com
                              www.goldenstateglassics.com

Tim

Comment

I'm another newbie

Howdy Folks
                                Got my little fotilla of craft,'65 Tollycraft 17' runabout that we have run for 20years, even tow a parasail when conditions are right.Wanted to get back into fishing Monterey bay so I towed home a 84' arrowglass, was concerned that the floor was a bit soft, and so the project began. Got new marine ply stringers fit but then found the transom soft at the bottom. pulled the engine[inline 6 cylinder Merc] than decided to find something that didn't need as much work. Last weekend brought home a '63 Glasspar sedan, tried to be careful to use my ice pic this time and have since seen postings about problems with subfloor in the sedans, I love the boat and look forward a full refit of her, but my goal was to do some fishing, so now I'm taking another look at the arrowglass. Also got a 59' Chris Craft Cavalier [project].
                                On the sedan I contacted a fellow, Alex, who had a sedan with simular concerns and had to let her go, he said she ended up with you guys. What happened to that boat? I'm thinking I want to start with a hull and make sure I get it solid, like I need another boat! But that one looked even better set up than the one I've got, I've found a fine crack about a third of the way back from the bow, near the water line!
                                Love the old boats, also sail a '62 14' Lido. I own and operate a heating and air business and love to fix stuff.
                                Any thoughts about stringers and transoms I would appreciate, both the arrowglass and the sedan are I/O's.
                                Boating is in my blood, my Dad was a national champion racing El toros and my Grandpa moved a house across frozen Cedar lake in a wisconsin winter, kinda upset the ice fishermem when he went by and water gushed out of their bore holes.
                                My cousin is Jeff Stobbe, he has been up in your neck of the woods with wooden boats that he builds, he's crusing mid-west waterways this summer.
                                Well I hope to get aquainted with some of you folks
                                Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X