Restoring a 1960 Wizard Cruiser?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring a 1960 Wizard Cruiser?

I just got a 1960 Wizard, not sure if it is a Wizard Cruiser of Cruisette. It has a cuddy cabin with windscreen on it (see Pic). I want to refinish as original as possible, and would like to see pictures of cockpit and cabin of other restored Wizards.
    Thanks
    Noel

PS- Pic may look fair, but this was a definite project boat- Major transom repair, new cockpit floor (at least stringers were in okay shape, original gas tank needs relined, etc. Currently top is off boat and boat upside down on trailer- stripping old paint and repainting.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by 1960wizard View Post
    I just got a 1960 Wizard, not sure if it is a Wizard Cruiser of Cruisette. It has a cuddy cabin with windscreen on it (see Pic). I want to refinish as original as possible, and would like to see pictures of cockpit and cabin of other restored Wizards.
    Thanks
    Noel

PS- Pic may look fair, but this was a definite project boat- Major transom repair, new cockpit floor (at least stringers were in okay shape, original gas tank needs relined, etc. Currently top is off boat and boat upside down on trailer- stripping old paint and repainting.

Nice looking boat !!!...
    Might check out www.fiberglassics.com for more pictures if they have them... Looks as she was licensed in California. Wonder how she got over in your area?

Got any pic's of the rear of her ?....From what I can see, she looks as she might be sitting pretty low in the stearn ??
    Could be several reasons.

I am also interested in seeing the transom area to see if it has a full splashwell bucket on it.

So, what and where are you going to take her out ?

Welcome to the group by the way. We like sharing information on building and restoring Glassics.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

The Wizard is in Sacramento, I just retired from military and bounce between CA & HI. The transom has a full splashwell along with vinyl cover from bench seat to splashwell (pic attached). I think the stern looks low because I had trailer up as I was getting ready to strip the boat. I took the top off to better work on cockpit deck and have ability to turn over and strip all the way down (several pics). Upgraded deck from 3/8 to 1/2in Marine and used Knytex X-Mat with marine epoxy. Stringers were in fair shape, so I coated stringers with rot fix epoxy (also used rot fix in transom as transom plywood was delaminating). Deck pic is with boat upside down and whitespots are reflections from sides. When I get back to CA next month, I will finish sanding and primer and paint the boat white with supermarine revolution . Then I will flip over and work on siderails and top which will remain red.

I do not have pics of transom work, but used a 1/2 gal kit of rot fix poured into transom until it was no longer creeping down. I then used two pieces of angle iron and several large c-clamps to compress plywood together and straighten out a bow. I thought the transom was 1 1/2" ply the whole way, but it is actually just 3/4" ply below the splashwell. I decided to cut a piece of 3/4" marine ply to fit transom under splashwell. I glassed the ply with deckcloth and then gorilla glued and screwed the plywood to transom (with plywood ending an inch above upper drainplug- this boat has two drainplugs as it was originally a sealed double hulled boat until previous owner decided to cut upper deck to install a bilge pump. I plan on boxing in bilge pump area to make a double hull again). I also used a multitool to cut a 1/4" by 4 foot slot in the splashwell and slid in a 15" x 48" piece of 1/4" aluminum which is bolted to transom, and epoxied to splashell.

Will provide updates as I progress.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 1960wizard; 08-06-2015, 10:09 PM. Reason: forgot to add pics

Comment

Originally posted by 1960wizard View Post
        The Wizard is in Sacramento, I just retired from military and bounce between CA & HI. The transom has a full splashwell along with vinyl cover from bench seat to splashwell (pic attached). I think the stern looks low because I had trailer up as I was getting ready to strip the boat. I took the top off to better work on cockpit deck and have ability to turn over and strip all the way down (several pics). Upgraded deck from 3/8 to 1/2in Marine and used Knytex X-Mat with marine epoxy. Stringers were in fair shape, so I coated stringers with rot fix epoxy (also used rot fix in transom as transom plywood was delaminating). Deck pic is with boat upside down and whitespots are reflections from sides. When I get back to CA next month, I will finish sanding and primer and paint the boat white with supermarine revolution . Then I will flip over and work on siderails and top which will remain red.

I do not have pics of transom work, but used a 1/2 gal kit of rot fix poured into transom until it was no longer creeping down. I then used two pieces of angle iron and several large c-clamps to compress plywood together and straighten out a bow. I thought the transom was 1 1/2" ply the whole way, but it is actually just 3/4" ply below the splashwell. I decided to cut a piece of 3/4" marine ply to fit transom under splashwell. I glassed the ply with deckcloth and then gorilla glued and screwed the plywood to transom (with plywood ending an inch above upper drainplug- this boat has two drainplugs as it was originally a sealed double hulled boat until previous owner decided to cut upper deck to install a bilge pump. I plan on boxing in bilge pump area to make a double hull again). I also used a multitool to cut a 1/4" by 4 foot slot in the splashwell and slid in a 15" x 48" piece of 1/4" aluminum which is bolted to transom, and epoxied to splashell.

Will provide updates as I progress.
        Looks like you are well on your way for sure
        Personally, I never was fond of how much room they left you in the splashwell area. Back in those days, they would put the battery, fuel and everything back in the splashwell and made a tail dragger out of them, hard to get up on plane.
        Any time I have the chance, I move the fuel and battery forward towards the cabin bulkhead and narrow that splashwell up as so she can only take half the water over the stearn. I use the sides for storage from the forward cockpit area. I found they get up on plane quicker and stands to reason, less fuel to keep her up there.
        Of course, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong ;-)

Looken real good
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
        X