Introduce myself

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduce myself

My name is Stephen, I live in Brier. My wife and I have a 1958 Skagit 20 that we acquired from my parents several years back, they never really used it after they bought it off a used car lot in Marysville in the late 90's. It sat for the prior 10 years before I owned it mostly outside and well that finished off what wood was left. I found a trailer due to the original one actually breaking while sitting so I could bring it home. I initially took all the rotten interior out and pressure washed the boat inside and out and parked it under cover. I wasn't ready to do anything with it but wanted to stop the natural destruction process. And now I have finally started working on it. I will post in the restoration forum current status and a few questions.

Hi Stephen-
    Welcome to the community/website for restoring and using these classic boats we're so lucky to have based in the NW. So many interesting companies came and went in the NW boatbuilding industry- Bell Boy, Norseman, Reinell, SabreCraft, Martinac, Skippercraft, Sande, Tollycraft, Bayliner, Fiberform, Waucanda, and of course, Skagit. Sure I've missed some there....We seem to have a well documented history of Skagit, so you're in company of folks who've restored them for sure.
    I'm not too far from you so feel free to call and we can maybe get more on what you want to accomplish. Have relatives in Brier !
    Bruce- four two five, seven 8 eight,four 4 two seven. Lv message ! Happy restoring !

Comment

Welcome Aboard ;-)

Restoring a 1958 Skagit, you came to the right place as there are a few of us that have done just that.

Yes, send lots of pictures and ask lots of questions and none are stupid questions for sure. Even pattern making, some of us have some nifty ways to create patterns.

Enjoy and Thank you for supporting your Classic Boat Club.!!
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Right on, another 58! Welcome to the fun! Hope to see some pics soon...regardless of the current condition as we love all pics!

Comment

Oh and based on your avatar picture on my phone (small) it looks like you have an Offshore...from what I can tell.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I'm not sure what model it is, I haven't learned all the small details. How do you tell what model?
            I will try and get some pictures up today.

Comment

Originally posted by sclapsaddle View Post
              Thanks everyone for the welcome. I'm not sure what model it is, I haven't learned all the small details. How do you tell what model?
              I will try and get some pictures up today.
              Normally the main difference is more cockpit room, less cabin room and less map dash space for the Offshore.

On my 1959 Offshore, the head is right in the center over the keel up closer to the bow, and no sink.

Come to think of it, I don't remember what the standard cockpit layout is on the 20 Offshore's. I was thinking fold down seating and just more room in the cockpit for crab rings or fishing gear.
              Anyone have the layout plan on the Offshore ?

I will post some of the brochures that I have on some of the options for Skagit in the Restoration area to view.
              In fact, some that Kelly might not even have.

Enjoy
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

The only way I can tell from your avatar is it looks like you don't have molded "grab handles" along each side of your cabin roof hatch. Other ways to tell are like Helmar mentioned but to include no "dashboard" between the upper windows and helm...rather 4 inches vs. 15 in (close to that, my boats aren't at my house).

Comment

Also in the cabin on an Offshore there's a smaller sink and I don't recall there being a toilet.
                  Offshore models from '58 seem as rare as hens teeth, but it's still cool if you have an Express model
                  Bruce will know for sure, he has Skagit knowledge for days!
                  Last edited by Kelly; 12-18-2016, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Ya I think your right , no ribs on cabin roof, no dash to speak of and it had a small sink and a toilet in the middle not off to the side like some of the pictures I've been seeing.

Comment

Right on, I'm definitely looking forward to some pics! You can also add them to the '58 pic thread! Cool!

Comment

Hi and nice Skagit ! Definitely have it gutted and ready to plan the reconstruction. Kelly has the offshore all mapped out, definitely one of those. They seem to have only offered it in 58-60. Not sure if they ever made an inboard offshore. Overall in the 20 series (express, offshore, thee, utility) am guessing one in ten was an inboard. I digress, that's a nice 20 offshore with built in fuel tanks.
                        From your auto restoration experience, the boating industry has had many issues with ethanol fuel as well. Combined with being exposed to fuel and it's additives/chemicals over the years, the factory fiberglass tanks start degrading and dissolving and ethanol accelerates that. Bottom line, they have to go. Some folks have found a source to have aluminum tanks that look like the factory,(expensive) or placed plastic side tanks, covering them with wood boxes. Or go with portable tanks, my choice. Using two 6 gal tanks as footrests below helm area moves weight forward and maximizes floor space.

Comment

My tanks are in great shape don't think they have any gas in them since the 90's but I know I can't use as is. I have a couple friends in the aluminum boat business that will help, but I still have to purchase the material.... still lots of time for that decision.
                          I haven't figured out layout yet, many possibilities.

Comment

I know at least one of mine will keep the integrity of design and color from the factory with some mods, but still look like it was something the factory could have produced. The thing I've learned from Bruce and Helmar is almost no two 20s were the same, at least aft of the cabin. I'm still undecided on the other 20 I have but may do the same thing, original feel.

Comment

Hello, name is Jim and I'm on my fourth GlasPly, a 1982 28' LC. Grew up on Eld Inlet in Olympia and later ended up in California. Bought the LC in Edmonds in 2009 and trucked it to Southern California, (Huntington Beach) where it is now the only 28 GP in Southern California. I'm on the GlasPly.org Forum. Interested in the brand's history. I met Ken Hopen at the GP Rendezvous at Port Townsend in 2009 and Jerry Caldwell at a later Rendezvous in Bellingham. The daughter of Ken Smith, GP founder has joined us at several meetings and is contemplating a book on the company.
                              We have created a GP Registry, primarily looking for the first and last hulls built, and now have over 400 entries many with descriptions and HIN data. The boats are spread from Alaska, along the West coast of Canada and the US and as far east as Florida.

NWSocal

Comment

Working...
                              X