Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello vintage boat enthusiats..

Hi;
    My name is Dan and I live in southwestern Oregon. I've always been interested in classic boats but couldn't really afford them until now as prices seem to have bottomed out for unrestored boats from the late 1950's. I mostly like the small cuddy's and have a small collection awaiting restoration. My "fleet" includes a Dorsett Catalina and Farallon, A Glasspar Club Mariner, a 1957 Wizard, 1951 31' Chris Craft Express cruiser, 1947 24' Trusscott and some smaller runabouts. I think this forum will be a big help when restorations begin.
    Last edited by Wizard; 03-02-2017, 09:44 AM.

Hey Dan, welcome to the forum. Sounds like quite the collection, looking forward to seeing some pictures...

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
      Hi;
      My name is Dan and I live in southwestern Oregon. I've always been interested in classic boats but couldn't really afford them until now as prices seem to have bottomed out for unrestored boats from the late 1950's. I mainly like to small cuddy's and have a small collection awaiting restoration. My "fleet" includes a Dorsett Catalina and Farallon, A Glasspar Club Mariner, a 1957 Wizard, 1951 31' Chris Craft Express cruiser, 1947 24' Trusscott and some smaller runabouts. I think this forum will be a big help when restorations begin.
      Hey Dan

Looks as you have the Bug too.

Got to share pictures for sure.

I have restored and worked on two Farallons, I have a a Dorsett Catalina, restored a Club mariner.

Think you might have come to the right place

I am up just west of Eugene in a little town called Veneta and have a lake to test in that is about 10 minutes away from me.

Lets see those pictures
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I've owned the 1951 31' Chris Craft for over 35 years. It was a Lake Superior and I dragged it all the way from MN where I grew up. It is mahogany and oak and has twin screws. I'd like to find a partner to help me restore it. My fantasy was to take it from Minneapolis to New Orleans down the mighty Mississippi. Now, that trip is more likely to happen in the Farallon, which I just picked up in Tacoma. Has anyone ever retrofitted one with an I/O? I can practically buy a new house for what they get for a late model 100 HP outboard!
        I have two late 1950's Wizards and I think they are good looking boats. The larger one has a huge sealed box in the bow that I guess is a flotation chamber. It takes up half the cabin and has got to go.

1951chris3.jpgwizardboat.jpgCLUBMARIN1.jpg60farallon1a.jpgcat1.jpg
        Last edited by Wizard; 03-02-2017, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Nice collection! I like the diversity of cabin cruisers. Which boat will you tackle first?

Comment

Cool collection for sure ! Like the Wizard designs, cutting edge for the time. Wow, dragging the Chris from Minnesota, that's a project. Our sister group, ACBS PNW has a few members who've restored 30' + Chris's. So the Farrallon is the first ? Is the Wizard useable now ?

Comment

I think all the fiberglass boats would float but as far as "usable", not really. Most need the typical work like decks, stringers, transoms, steering, etc. I have a second Wizard that's in really sad shape, the previous owner cut away the outer fiberglass transom and didn't even save the piece. The boat is just a shell but it's too cool to scrap and I have a title for it. That might be my first project or the Catalina.
              I also have a rare 1960 Buehler TurboCraft (in an Arena Craft hull) with a 292 Ford Interceptor. Talk about a cool boat- Batman meets James Bond! I had to pay a whole $250 for it but now a tree limb has smashed one side of the glass windshield and so the price just doubled.
              The Farallon has the nicest stainless steel sink/icebox combination with s/s drawers to the side. I suppose a two burner stove was included at one time but it's long gone. It also has the original head with ceramic toilet in a nice little enclosed space. And the aluminum 2 foot tall masts that the Farallon and San Juan's had really add some class.

buehler6.jpgbuehler3.jpg)

1957WIZARD1a.jpg

Comment

No one here has done the I/o. Ive seen farallon with them and inboard You might have to make a tapered spacer between io and transom to get trim right. You could find a 150/175 looper from the 80s there ok if you don't run em over 3/4 throttle. I have a 61 wc custom sabercraft with a 327 and starfire jet. Is that what the wizard has. The oldest boat I saw with a jet was a 56.

Comment

The Wizards all had outboards. As far as I can tell, I/O's started making appearances around 1962-63. From what I've read, Buehler TurboCraft was the first with a jet drive, around 1958-59. They used a Hamilton jet pump.

Comment

Working...
                  X