Ahoy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahoy

Greetings from a new member. I grew up boating on the various lakes in Colorado with my prents and those experiences instilled a love of recreational boating and heavily influenced my decision to go into the maritime industry (over a decade in various positions with NOAA). I owned my first boat before I owned a car; when I was 16 I purchased an old Yukon Delta hull and spent every free hour over the next 6-months turning it into a deck boat. Sadly, working on the water left little time for recreational boating, and I sold my boat over 10-years ago. With the recent birth of my son, I decided to get back into recreational boating and figured a classic boat would be a way to do it in style.

I came into possession of what I’ve deduced is a 1962 Lone Star Malibu about two years ago. The serial number is 23410061, which the internet tells me (Would the internet lie to me?) indicates the following. The leading digit is supposedly the last digit of the year, hence a 2 indicates 1962 since the Malibu was only in production from 1958 to 1963. The 341 is common to Malibues (How exactly does one write the plural of Malibu?), but there is no documentation on exactly what those numbers represented. The remaining five digits are the production number for the boat, hence 0061 means my Malibu is the 61st Malibu built in 1962. Another tip-off, I can also barely make out the name Malibu on the name plate on the dash and looking at paint schemes in old brochures seems to point to 1962. The trailer title said 1967 and the 18HP Evinrude Fastwin that came with the boat is a 1968. Unfortunately, Colorado doesn’t title boats, so I don’t have any documentation on the boat itself. My guess would be that someone repowered it in 1968 and got it fixed up, either to sell or after buying it. The trailer is not original to the boat, it’s actually a Sea King from Montgomery-Ward.

Lone Star Boat Manufacturing had humble beginnings; founded in Grand Prairie, Texas in 1945 immediately following WWII and initially producing aluminum boats in the 12-14 foot range. The company grew quickly and expanded into fiberglass manufacturing in the early 50s, running fiberglass and aluminum boat lines in parallel. In 1965, the company was acquired by Chrysler and became the Chrysler Boat Corporation, which continued production until 1979 when they closed the doors on their marine division.

The Malibu was at the heart of the Lone Star line in the late 50s and early 60s, when the 14-16 foot runabouts were the hottest market. These small runabouts provided a lot of fun on the water for a family of 4 at a very reasonable price ($525 in 1958, which is just over $4000 in today’s dollars). The Malibu stood apart from other aluminum boats of the time with its stylish design that was more akin to its fiberglass rivals, even including small tail fins. In the 60s, the public began to demand larger vessels and the Malibu was dropped from the production line in 1963.

I purchased this classic boat from my aunt a while ago, without any knowledge of its history; just knowing it as the cool aluminum boat with fins that was sitting by her house. They had bought it in 1985, but only used it a couple times that year. Unfortunately, that winter a nasty windstorm ripped the cover off the boat and, in the process, shattered the acrylic windshield. That is where it sat for the next 30-years, which helped give it a nice “patina.” I traded her a few hundred dollars’ worth of window air conditioners for the boat, since I thought I could use another project (in related news I’m looking for someone that could add some holes to my skull) and towed it to Bellevue.

Over the next year I completed a full restoration on a budget. Repainted her in the original paint scheme, but went with teal instead of the original red. I also repowered her with a 1968 33-hp Evinrude Ski Twin that I purchased off of Craigslist. If you’re interested, the entire project is chronicled on my blog; www.thecaptainsblog.net. You can skip the introduction post to the project, since this pretty much covers it.

20170330_135308.jpg
    - Brent

"Fair winds and following seas."

Looken pretty sweet.

Welcome to the group, we have all kinds of folks hanging out here.

Got more pictures to share ?

Enjoy
    Helmar
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I do have a few more pictures; I'll start with a before and then a few more of the after. There are several more before and in-progress photos on my blog (www.thecaptainsblog.net). I haven't actually gotten it out on the water yet, but it's maiden voyage should come shortly (as soon as the weather gets a little nicer).

Last edited by capt.catfish; 04-09-2017, 07:56 AM.
      - Brent

"Fair winds and following seas."

Comment

Working...
      X